Worst Track Experience Ever TMP | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Worst Track Experience Ever TMP

Rick, last year with GWB's they had everyone go back to the pit when there was a red flag...and Racer5 had everyone stop at the next marshall station. So that's where the confusion is. I think every TRACK should have 1 set of rules for a red flag.

For the OP, if you're looking to make a friend at the track...come talk to me (I'll hold your hand as we prance down the pits), not the tech guy, he's not there to make friends lol. ;)
You are absolutely right.Consistent flags for all tracks is very important.Having to wait an extra 2 minutes for an ambulance is unacceptable.Anyone who complains about having to sit trackside during the wait needs a slap upside the shoei.

The two bikes in question had clear tape over the lights so it did not look like they were taped.
They were doing a magazine shoot.

I also found the day to be run quite well, although I have only 2 complaints.

1. The Honda 250 and the Kawi 400 or 250 whichever it was, were riding with mirrors on the bikes and I swear the CBR250 checked his mirror and cut me off once. The tech is stringent, so I was shocked to see riders with mirrors and untaped lights (blinkers), license plates still on the bikes not that it matters...

Tech found the following:

Cords showing in the rear tire
fork pinch bolt missing
coolant in the reserve tank -
several rear axles not against the adjusters -
broken off brake pedal
one bike made no rear brake pressure
missing triple clamp fork bolts
gushing fork seal
and more....

If you don't have your bike ready to the list of tech should the tech guy stop and wait till you get your bike completely ready and hold up the line for 3 minutes, or should he go look at the next bike in line? If tech is done that way then it would take 5 hours to get done.

Only those that don't have their bike up to the standards complain. The fellow with the missing bolts was quite thankfull.

Tech is open at 7:30 - no-one seems to have their bike over till after 8am
Teching 75 bikes in 30 minutes means that if your bike is not ready that you go fix the bike and come back later when it is ready.

If everyone had their bike in line for tech at 7:30 then riding would commence at 9:01

That is cool, I figured there must be some type of circumstance surrounding it as I knew you would not let someone out there with untaped lights. :)

The two bikes in question had clear tape over the lights so it did not look like they were taped.
They were doing a magazine shoot.

If everyone had their bike in line for tech at 7:30 then riding would commence at 9:01

That's BS. You don't delay any part of the track day because some people hven't registered, tech'd, or missed the rider's meeting. They just don't get on to the track.

All organisers run late, but it's a real stretch to blame the riders.

Someone said something earlier on about arrogance I think. Hmmm.

That's BS. You don't delay any part of the track day because some people hven't registered, tech'd, or missed the rider's meeting. They just don't get on to the track.

Seriously.

Close registration and tech during the riders meeting.

I believe that you mistunderstood my comment.
The day did start with minimal delays.

The riders that show up to tech at 8:25 and complain that they didn't get on right away should have showed up earlier.

I'm kind of confused over this whole thread.
I have raced all over Canada and the eastern states,,uhmmm,, flags are different EVERYwhere! That is one of the importance of the riders meeting. To find out what the local rules are.
You may not like them or they may not make sense,, but that's life,,they rent it they make the rules.Many of the rules pertain to how the paramedics are governed.
Most trackday organizers could really care less if your bike meets tech and you wish to kill yourself. They really care about the other people you may take with you!
The best set up is if you miss riders meeting you miss a session,,,,,DONE. If you screw up something that was covered at riders meeting you miss a session. Becasue you need to understand you could have or casued harm to someone else.
Saddly the organizers have to be hard line. If they allow one person to slide through then they must do the same for another and another.
In my opinion if tech caught something that you neglected,, shake the guys hand and say thank you!
Once you do a few days then you know what to expect with different track day providers. But if they DON"T give a crap,,,then don"t go back!
Casue any that have been around know when things go bad,,,,,and you or someone else is in a hospital bed,,,saying sorry just doesn"t cut it!

I believe that you mistunderstood my comment.
The day did start with minimal delays.

The riders that show up to tech at 8:25 and complain that they didn't get on right away should have showed up earlier.

Ah OK, my apologies then.

Thank you John

I'm kind of confused over this whole thread.
I have raced all over Canada and the eastern states,,uhmmm,, flags are different EVERYwhere! That is one of the importance of the riders meeting. To find out what the local rules are.
You may not like them or they may not make sense,, but that's life,,they rent it they make the rules.Many of the rules pertain to how the paramedics are governed.
Most trackday organizers could really care less if your bike meets tech and you wish to kill yourself. They really care about the other people you may take with you!
The best set up is if you miss riders meeting you miss a session,,,,,DONE. If you screw up something that was covered at riders meeting you miss a session. Becasue you need to understand you could have or casued harm to someone else.
Saddly the organizers have to be hard line. If they allow one person to slide through then they must do the same for another and another.
In my opinion if tech caught something that you neglected,, shake the guys hand and say thank you!
Once you do a few days then you know what to expect with different track day providers. But if they DON"T give a crap,,,then don"t go back!
Casue any that have been around know when things go bad,,,,,and you or someone else is in a hospital bed,,,saying sorry just doesn"t cut it!

I would personally like to thank Donald for teching my bike and finding I was missing both of my fork pinch bolts. I had my springs changed at a motorcycle dealership and they neglected to reinstall them . I find the guys to be very helpful and insightful even when I have to ask stupid questions. We should be thankful that they take safety very serious and provide a safe enviroment for us . I don't usually post a lot but I felt a need to come to there defense and hopefully I'm speaking for the majority of us. Thank you guys and looking forward to the next track day!!

Ric, last year with GWB's they had everyone go back to the pit when there was a red flag...and Racer5 had everyone stop at the next marshall station. So that's where the confusion is. I think every TRACK should have 1 set of rules for a red flag.

Agreed, however this is exactly why it's important to pay attention during the riders meeting

Last edited by a moderator:
Riders meetings are sometimes long winded and repititous (for some riders).But some people need to hear it over and over again.On saturday at mosport this past weekend we had about 20 riders blow thru the waved yellow passing each other like the yellow wasn't even there! That brought out a full black flag for everyone.I swear next time i hear people talking about their fave brand of beer or eye shadow at the back of the group i'm going to go postal on them.You may know everything,but you are disracting the ones that aren't as mighty as you. Shut the **** up!

Waved yellow!!!!
mosport2001050.jpg

Waved black!!!!
mosport2001051.jpg

On saturday at mosport this past weekend we had about 20 riders blow thru the waved yellow passing each other like the yellow wasn't even there!

Which ain't good at Mosport..especially if you're doing 200kmh up the back straight and can't see over the hump...

Which ain't good at Mosport..especially if you're doing 200kmh up the back straight and can't see over the hump...

Seems to me that I'm doing 200km/h in the first 50 feet. Love that track, even though it terrifies me.

I would prefer to have a fussy tech, thx. A trained eye is more accurate than my own, and I have even had Donald notice things that aren't neccesasaily a tech point, but could still ruin your day. On a borrowed bike last yr, he pointed out the low oil level to me. I wouldn't have thought to check it, and may have grenaded the motor.

Riders meetings are sometimes long winded and repititous (for some riders).But some people need to hear it over and over again.On saturday at mosport this past weekend we had about 20 riders blow thru the waved yellow passing each other like the yellow wasn't even there! That brought out a full black flag for everyone.I swear next time i hear people talking about their fave brand of beer or eye shadow at the back of the group i'm going to go postal on them.You may know everything,but you are disracting the ones that aren't as mighty as you. Shut the **** up!

Waved yellow!!!!
mosport2001050.jpg

Waved black!!!!
mosport2001051.jpg

good thing that it wasn't the case on Monday when rider blew his motor on the 5b exit and dumped oil all up through 6 and rider 2 lost it in 5b and parking in the hay bales. At the same time there were 5-6 riders exiting 4 approaching 5a with a waived yellow (quickly turned to red)... if saturdays flag runners would've pulled that **** on monday, could've EASILY finished everyones day by mid afternoon...

Back
Top Bottom