Worst Track Experience Ever TMP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Worst Track Experience Ever TMP

R1299

Where do I start...very unorganized. Day started real late, I did not get on the track until 9:50am the riders meeting was supposed to happen at 8:30am. When the meeting started they bored people with the rules and regulations of the track. They were offensive and belittled the riders. The meeting took too long. I dont know if it was just me but did anyone else feel like this? The tech guy has some serious issues he was making everyone go back and change little things that were not important, this is another reason why it took so long, plus he was just rude. Oh I hope no one else crashes because you would be left out there for a while with some wannabe anbulance. It took 15minutes for a real paramedic to come on scene then another 45 minutes to get him off the track...thats too long for help to arrive. They should be prepared for the worst instead of assuming nothing bad will happen on a track day. The time that was lost for the help, they should have extended so that people could get their moneys worth. NEVER AGAIN AT THIS TRACK with TMP runnning the show.

That was a total waste of time and money. The organizers were very rude. One guy told us if we don't like the rules we can leave. I wanted a whole lot of rules and the constant threat of being kicked out, I would goto a strip joint. I'm with you..."FTMP"

I wasn't there. However, I have been there before a few times. As far as the tech guy being picky, that's a good thing. They tell people to do what they do for a reason. As far as the rules go, again.... it is done for a reason. Even after attending multiple trackdays, you do understand that different organizations have different rules for Red Flags, Passing, Pit-in out procedures etc. So yes, it takes time, but it is important that everyone at the track listens to these things. Even at the highest pro levels guy's screw up because the were not at a briefing or because they weren't paying attention. Case and point Max Biaggi at Monza where he was penalized for not doing a proper track entry procedure after missing a turn. The rules are there for a reason... to keep the riders as safe as possible.

As far as the time it took to start things and how long it took for medical help to arrive, you might have a point..... again, I don't know the situation, so it is hard for me to form an opinion.

EDIT -> Btw, I just wanted to say one more thing. When we were at Jennings two riders got pretty messed up. They both ended up at the hospital, one dude lost a few fingers and had a whole world of hurt happening.... he spent a few days in hospital. We lost quite a few sessions that day because of that accident. Sometimes **** happens at the track and you lose tracktime. Again, I'm wasn't there, so I don't know what happened at TMP, just saying that is sucks, but it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say ... pick your track-day organizers carefully. The issue here isn't the track, it's who's running the track day.

I won't say the bad, but I will say the good, based on my experience and observations: Pro 6 Cycle, Rider's Choice, Racer5.

There has been a trend lately for the tracks to start running their own track days (it isn't just TMP), probably in the interest of cutting out the middleman and keeping more $$$. They contract-out someone to actually run the day itself. Whether that is good or bad ... depends on who they contract it out to. I work in a service industry (not track days), and all I'll say about this, is that people/companies who shop around for the cheapest price, will get what they deserve.

The day was a little confusing but considering that the whole park was jam packed with people, cars and motorcycles I say GWB's did the best they could do in a very busy situation. Tech was very intense but that is usually for the best... I was informed of something that I never noticed before and was glad it was pointed out. As far as the guy going down in corner 1... I don't know the extent of his injuries or why they didn't want to move him but thankfully the ambulance drivers new enough to know when they were in over their heads and decide to wait for the paramedics to arrive. That being said I do agree with having the best qualified paramedics at the track at all times during track day events.

Having been there, I would have to disagree with the two OP's. I personally didn't find any issues with GWB running the show.

If the riders' meeting was late it wasn't by much. GWB riders' meetings do tend to run long and can be boring but it's a necessity... deal with it and pay attention. Depending on which group you were in a 9:50am on-track start time is not uncommon.

Bike tech... I didn't have one issue, maybe because I know what they're looking for. I understand that GWB can be picky but it's for good reason (most but not all of the time).

I thought the sole major crash was handled quite professionally, from my point of view. The on-track ambulance attended the victim promptly and called for assistance (standard protocol from what I understand). A "real" ambulance and a few volunteer firefighters attended the scene and helped the rider out. If it took 45mins to help the rider out, once again... deal with it! It's not always possible to extend track days into the evening to make up lost time due to accidents, and it's definitely not GWB's fault.

If I were to complain about anything it would be about GWB's suspension tuning service. If the bike's suspension is clearly a mess, why take the rider's $20 knowing there's nothing you can do to correct the matter? That's just being greedy.

I was there today and although a horde of people went home when they saw the rain in the morning and no clear sky in view, some people still went out in the rain (a couple people had rain tires).
I hung out with the GWB guys for most of the day and they're cool people.
When the OP says that they were "rude", it's just cause they are both very up-front characters, that's all. It's nothing personal.

Eventually the day cleared up really nice and the track was even 95% dry by 4pm, so whoever had waited the rain out got a chance to go on the track.
No serious accidents today despite the conditions. :)

and how long it took for medical help to arrive

medic was called as soon as the crashed happened.

And just because you didn't like the organizer setup doesn't mean they all run like that, TMP is great.

I'm impartial... I wasn't there. :D

Yea, I know I just wanted to point out that the situation was handled as fast as we could. I was a marshal there and the call was made to control before the bike even stopped moving once the riders where off the track EMS was at the riders side, they check out the situation and then called an ambulance, and being in the area where the track is it does take time for it to arrive.

That's all I'm gonna say on the subject. But riders rest assured we're all doing our best to keep you safe.

R1299;1558667) 1. They were offensive and belittled the riders. 2 The time that was lost for the help said:
1. Without even being there on this occasion I know which guys your speaking of. These guys have done alot of trackdays and have dealt with and seen some of the craziest stuff you could imagine on track and in the pits! If you go back chat them up you'll be shocked by some of their stories. As a result of their experience they choose to be short and to the point! Rude? Perhaps, how thick is your skin? Tech is very important for all bikes and riders, they once caught something on my bike I hadn't noticed, if not for their eagle eyed tech I may have ended up in the hospital!

2. These guys start and end their day long before and after yours, why should they have to stay later? Note: They have been known to extend the days in the past depending on circumstances. A track day is 9-5 generally and lost time due to accidents is a part of the game. I am often bummed on lost time up until I see the ambulance and am thankful I'm not in it, tends to calm me down, there is always the next track day to get your ride on.

3. These rules are in place for the safety of YOU and EVERYONE attending! From flags, to pit rules, dogs, pedestrians etc. There is alot going on and as mentioned not every track has the same procedure, typically someone always ignores what they hear and wastes time for others as a result. Tell me your not thankful for their breakdown of some of the nasty bumps around the track?

Sorry you had a bad experience but I am personally thankful for all the tracks and trackday providers in Ontario, as a consumer having choice is awesome. Not any two trackdays will be the same, sometimes things go smoothly and you get more tracktime than you can handle, other times you get short changed, it happens...

I was there and no issue with GWB guys. Tech was no problem... if you want to criticize, criticize the guys did not prep their bike according to their rules... and hope everyone comes early!, not last min.
Comparing to other organizers, they are more laidback in comparison. (usually they are criticized for that... then again Racer 5 could be the most laid back organizer... funny thing is nobody criticize for that...even though it is not good thing ... I guess Smile/Friendliness could be the key... )
Rider's meeting was ... a long one... but what he said was all necessary things and even that he missed a couple of things. They have to treat every meeting like the first meeting. Not everyone is experienced track day riders, there were quite few first timers yesterday.
I enjoyed it including some off road riding... and down on mud...

My complaint is TMP should have one more Washroom at the west side of track.... (perhaps even portables...)

Interested in doing a track day sometime...What things did / do the organizers and mechanics look for and point out on the bikes?

They want all new riders to spray paint a big yellow "L" on the side of your bike and the back of your jacket. Some techs want the "L" to be at least 2 feet tall and in oil paint. But don't worry too much about the technical stuff, the most important thing is to have fun;)

Interested in doing a track day sometime...What things did / do the organizers and mechanics look for and point out on the bikes?

ive been to a couple GWB track days last season, Their rider meetings are a bit longer than other organizers, but you have to understand, there is always new people that have not been to a track day and dont understand what to do if someone has crashed on the track or what a certain flag is for, and what to do when they see it. And for tech, they wanna make sure you bike is safe for you and the people riding in your group!

An L? you're joking ya :D I've heard of an X with tape on the back of your leathers if it is your first time out.

Key things are No coolant, proper gear, bits that are not loose. At TMP they want the side stand removed or Zip-Tied, tires need good tread, levers and pegs should be on properly(ie not loose).... oh and lights should be taped up and you might as well take off your mirrors.

An L? you're joking ya :D I've heard of an X with tape on the back of your leathers if it is your first time out.

Key things are No coolant, proper gear, bits that are not loose. At TMP they want the side stand removed or Zip-Tied, tires need good tread, levers and pegs should be on properly(ie not loose).... oh and lights should be taped up and you might as well take off your mirrors.

Stop boring us with all those boring rules ye bum :mad: As a person who's done a bit of marshaling, I appreciate a detailed approach to rules and tech.. That means fewer crashes to intervene on, fewer bits of plastic to clean up when we do have to intervene and I'm just glad I never needed to clean up an antifreeze spill.. The less work for me, the better for all :cool:

May 23rd was cancelled. I'll probably cool off later, but for now, never again. What a waste of a trip out there. And there's no mention on their website.

When you are laying on the track waiting for the ambulance.The extra 2 minutes it takes for it to get there because the group on the track forgot that the red flag means STOP and not go back to the pit,feels like a lifetime.I've seen it happen at Mosport a few years ago.The organizer called another meeting and blasted everyone.The rules are there for everyones benefit.If it takes an extra 20 minutes to get it driven home it's worth it.If you think tech inspection is detailed at TMP,come to the DOCC festival at Mosport next weekend for an eyeful.

the red flag means STOP and not go back to the pit.

Rick, last year with GWB's they had everyone go back to the pit when there was a red flag...and Racer5 had everyone stop at the next marshall station. So that's where the confusion is. I think every TRACK should have 1 set of rules for a red flag.

For the OP, if you're looking to make a friend at the track...come talk to me (I'll hold your hand as we prance down the pits), not the tech guy, he's not there to make friends lol. ;)

Back
Top Bottom