World Cup | GTAMotorcycle.com

World Cup

If Canada wasn't in, I wouldn't watch a minute, and that's speaking as someone who watches more soccer/football/calcio than any other sport, including MotoGP (though if there were dozens of GP races every weekend like the EPL, I'd watch more of that).

But this Canadian side has worked so hard to get there, and there's some real talent available, so I'll be watching them play. Once they're out, I'm out...

Curious to know why specifically as there have been a lot of issues raised with this WC (which issue do you feel warrants a boycott of the event). FIFA/Qatari govt corruption generally? Qatari laws? Labour rights? Treatment of migrant workers? Funding of wars/terrorism? LGBTQ? Women's rights? Racism? Or just all of the above?

I haven't followed football much at all lately, but will try to catch as much of this tournament as I can. Only comes around every 4 years... I hardly know the players these days, so will use it to get up to speed a bit on who's who. And support Canada! They have made us incredibly proud to qualify for this event - some impressive results and tenacity in qualifying and fully deserve our support.

Curious to know why specifically as there have been a lot of issues raised with this WC (which issue do you feel warrants a boycott of the event). FIFA/Qatari govt corruption generally? Qatari laws? Labour rights? Treatment of migrant workers? Funding of wars/terrorism? LGBTQ? Women's rights? Racism? Or just all of the above?

I haven't followed football much at all lately, but will try to catch as much of this tournament as I can. Only comes around every 4 years... I hardly know the players these days, so will use it to get up to speed a bit on who's who. And support Canada! They have made us incredibly proud to qualify for this event - some impressive results and tenacity in qualifying and fully deserve our support.

For me, it's specifically about FIFA repeatedly taking stacks of cash from autocratic governments to provide them with convenient nationalistic spectacles, and then mostly pocketing the money both legally and illegally. The details for which sportwashing project is most recent vary (and for which human rights are most violated by which autocratic state), but the theme is the same: FIFA will happily sell the integrity of the sport to whomever shows up with the heaviest briefcase of cash. By watching, all we do is put even more money in their pocket, as it increases the value of the various TV contracts.

Let's not forget the last World Cup in Russia, with scuzzball Infantino (who makes Blatter look like a saint by comparison) cosying up with both Putin and MBS for the opening match:

1668961628242.png

It's interesting to me that the latest response to criticism from the various oil states has been to take a page out of the Israeli playbook: conflate criticism of government policy and actions with racism (or anti-semitism) to change the conversation. I've seen this lots lately with criticism of Saudi ownership of Newcastle, where English fans will claim that nobody would care if they weren't Muslim or Arabic. As if nobody ever said anything about Abramovich and Chelsea...

I get that in an ideal world, sport transcends politics, or at least that's the lie fed by corrupt cabals like FIFA, the IOC, etc. They want to be able to have their hands in as many pockets as possible. The problem here is that these autocratic regimes happily use sport as a political weapon, so that ideal is impossible. It's also not new. The 1978 World Cup in Argentina was manipulated on every level by the Peron government.

On top of all this, holding a World Cup dead in the middle of an already overloaded club season is good for nobody except FIFA and Qatar, and is part of an ongoing battle between the club owners, the leagues, FIFA, and regional groups like UEFA to grab as much cash as possible. The fact that FIFA was an enthusiastic supporter of the proposed European Super League, but only behind closed doors, tells you everything about how little they care for fans as anything besides a cash crop to be maximised.

Infantino makes Blatter look like a rank amateur when it comes to politicking and corruption. Google how he essentially hand picked the CAF representatives and controls their votes, then fired anyone at FIFA who was threatening to investigate or complain. The fact that with all the controversy and complaints, he still ran uncontested to maintain control of FIFA tells you everything about how that organisation is run. It needs to be completely shut down and replaced with something designed from the top down to be strongly anti-corruption and to ensure that the funds earned actually go to community initiatives like they currently pretend...

For me the corruption makes this unpalatable. Switching the timing feels wrong too. Every other world cup I have memories of lazy summer days and watching footie matches, this one I’m working like a dog as is normal at this time of the year so I don’t really have time to watch.

I will try to watch a Brazil game though as I think they have a strong side.

If Canada wasn't in, I wouldn't watch a minute, and that's speaking as someone who watches more soccer/football/calcio than any other sport, including MotoGP (though if there were dozens of GP races every weekend like the EPL, I'd watch more of that).

But this Canadian side has worked so hard to get there, and there's some real talent available, so I'll be watching them play. Once they're out, I'm out...

Same.

@Priller Sad to see the current state of affairs for sure... Infantino was at the G20 summit last week mingling with world leaders. One reason I stopped following football was because it got so expensive with all the subscriptions - and truthfully, I enjoy watching a local amateur team/university team play (live and for free) as much as I enjoy watching the professionals play (on TV for a lot of $$$). My wife nags me to get a subscription whenever a big event comes around - she enjoys the spectacle - last time we had it was the Euros and now the WC for the month. Only follow MotoGP religiously atm.

@Priller Sad to see the current state of affairs for sure... Infantino was at the G20 summit last week mingling with world leaders. One reason I stopped following football was because it got so expensive with all the subscriptions - and truthfully, I enjoy watching a local amateur team/university team play (live and for free) as much as I enjoy watching the professionals play (on TV for a lot of $$$). My wife nags me to get a subscription whenever a big event comes around - she enjoys the spectacle - last time we had it was the Euros and now the WC for the month. Only follow MotoGP religiously atm.

At least the WC is also being shown on CTV.

Now that first game was as exciting as wet firecrackers.

Go Canada Go!

I wasn’t expecting much between those 2 teams, tbh.
Tomorrow’s games should be better.

England v Iran should be a good one.
USA v Wales as well.
Senegal could really surprise the Dutch

Sports at this level is no longer by definition 'sport' IMHO. It's entertainment. We call it corruption because we have a romantic version of players going into a match for the thrill of competition and the love of country when really it's just dirty international business.

I think everything organized by European bodies is suspect of corruption - Olympics, F1, MotoGP -- there's just too much money involved to avoid it. Current investigations suggest Qatar secretly channeled about $800M in cash and commitments to FIFA before the last world cup vote. Similar accusations of Putin doing the same led to criminal investigations and charges from several countries.

FIFA Corruption.

F1 still doesn't have clean hands, but I think things got slightly better after Ecclestone left

I read somewhere that WC preparations cost Qatar about 200 Billion over the last 12 years since the award in 2010. This includes new stadiums and city / country infrastructure upgrades. This is an insane amount for a sporting event that will last a very short time and many of the new builds will sit used post WC, similar to many Olympic Games venues. A colossal waste of money. The WC is a hugh image and status raising opportunity for Qatar and they're quite happy to spend the money on it.

I read somewhere that WC preparations cost Qatar about 200 Billion over the last 12 years since the award in 2010. This includes new stadiums and city / country infrastructure upgrades. This is an insane amount for a sporting event that will last a very short time and many of the new builds will sit used post WC, similar to many Olympic Games venues. A colossal waste of money. The WC is a hugh image and status raising opportunity for Qatar and they're quite happy to spend the money on it.
And they're expected to earn about $6B from it. Not the best financial investment.

Until they crack down on the diving problem, I won't waste my time on that sport.

Back
Top Bottom