Wine anyone? Vino, vino, old grape juice. I | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wine anyone? Vino, vino, old grape juice. I

puttockc

Hey all,

So winter is coming, and I may be forced to put away my bike soon.

I saw the scotch thread and thought, "maybe there are some real wine drinkers out here, ones that like to get a little bit nerdy about the wine"

I love going to the LCB O and picking up bottles for less than $25 that are of high quality and really enjoyable. So next time I pick something up I think is really interesting or tasty, or next time you do post it here is a recommendation.

Recent awesome buys:
8e9942c4914f4995ddbaeddd0d7f54eb.jpg

f3d10f9e16a1190bbcfcfb15ace29071.jpg
097f43f536d32afafd1e9e63f5cdc1f5.jpg
e9b2ab4824f57aff105c9f40638d6f8d.jpg
055bbf7bb406b7344fb095a291c55d6d.jpg
311d0ee2ff9cef6444ab9446a53a82e1.jpg

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

I was into the Wine Kitz for a couple of years. About $150.00 got you about 30 bottles of tolerable plonk letting them do almost all the work. Legally you have to start the process by sprinkling the yeast on top and then bottling at the end.

The trouble is that I got tired of drinking the same thing for a year. Anyone interested in making a batch of something different and swapping a half batch? Threesome?

Big fan of Barolo. Have a bunch lying down, to be opened in 10-15 years.

As far as Ontario goes, I like Tawse's and Flat Rock's stuff.

Megalomaniac for rinsing down weeknight meals.

I also really love Barolo But for me a lot of the time it's out of my price range for daily drinker. Also entertain so often it's difficult to lay one down, we always end up drinking it

Yeah, buying Barolo is a bit of an art, you need to catch the good bottles early before the prices explode. Still more rea$onable than the 1st growth Bordeaux.

For daily drinking, cheap/young Barbaresco can be had for less than $25. Similar cherry/strawberry flavors, minus the dark, subtle complexity.

Tawse is winery of the year in Ontario, they are doing a very nice job. Sadly as a small batch producer the cheapest thing on the rack is $20.95 at the winery store ( I was there yesterday getting Christmas plonk organized) . I like the style they make. Megalomaniac is next door so the grapes soil and climate is very similar. But its still hard to beat some southern European values and centuries of experience. I don't really enjoy white unless its a summer drink and I cannot drink sparkling , its just not for me, and ice wine is for giving away.

The $20 2008 Rioja was fantastic after a little air and its paired beautifully with my dinner last night.

Pommery mustard crusted Panroasted pork loin with a lemon scented Apple, scallion and Dijon reduction

Muga is always good and that chianti could be interesting but haven't a opened it yet.

f01d76569621e441c6490adcf02fbc69.jpg

90cc7219e9116468799013670348f44c.jpg

Go through too much of it so now I buy the Ontario stuff by the box.

Did get an email from Great Estates Niagara that they had free shipping so I bought a case. 10 Inniskillin Meritage Reserve 2013 and 2 Inniskillin East-West Chardonnay. Both are good and the Meritage was only $11 a bottle.

Of course right after I ordered I got an email about my quarterly wine club order being processed, lol.

Normally I just go to the LCBO, grab a cart, walk around grabbing random wines to try until my cart is full, then count what I have and add a few more (or maybe a couple of liquors if I'm low on something) to get up to the next full case. They always ask if I'm having a party. This was before I found the magic of the boxes but I still do it on occasion if I want more variety.

Not a fan of the ice wines but they send me a couple around this time of year, usually, so I have a few still on the shelf from years ago.

I'm not about to serve box wine to dinner guests, but for red on the shelf when your on vacation or over C'mas its hard to argue the value. We get some terrific deals on California product when we are at our US home, can have a 3L box going for the week.
An interesting experiment is keep the empty from a $200 bottle of bingo X, decant a $50 of the same grape and serve it to your snob friends and wait for the review. You wont fool all, but you'll fool enough.

I'm not about to serve box wine to dinner guests, but for red on the shelf when your on vacation or over C'mas its hard to argue the value. We get some terrific deals on California product when we are at our US home, can have a 3L box going for the week.
An interesting experiment is keep the empty from a $200 bottle of bingo X, decant a $50 of the same grape and serve it to your snob friends and wait for the review. You wont fool all, but you'll fool enough.

Depending on the Guest; I hide the good wine. they won't know the difference anyway

Depending on the Guest; I hide the good wine. they won't know the difference anyway

Haha, the normal wine (<$25) resides in a rack, the good wine is in a nearby cupboard so it isn't accidentally opened.

I tried Chocolate Block a few weeks ago, it's spicy, I like it, but at $40/bottle I'm not opening more than a bottle a year.

The best bottle I have around now is a magnum of masi amarone that will be opened next summer. In the world of wine, nothing magically expensive, but definitely the most expensive cork I have ever popped.

Haha, the normal wine (<$25) resides in a rack, the good wine is in a nearby cupboard so it isn't accidentally opened.

I tried Chocolate Block a few weeks ago, it's spicy, I like it, but at $40/bottle I'm not opening more than a bottle a year.

The best bottle I have around now is a magnum of masi amarone that will be opened next summer. In the world of wine, nothing magically expensive, but definitely the most expensive cork I have ever popped.

I got an 04 Masi Amarone for Xmas from my brother last year, Tragedy, I cooked him dinner, he took and sip and said he's stick with molson....

Over all I find Amarone a little too round and easy, I don't mind a nice Ripasso now and then though.

heading to prince edward county this sunday, planning on buying a bottle for a gift, any suggestions?

Sandbanks "love" is interesting and different. Not fine wine by any stretch of the imagination, but mix it 50/50 with sparkling water and you have a nice sangria like beverage.

I like the pinot gris from the grange, they keep rebranding so I don't remember what their current label says.

Chambourcin from frogpond is interesting (and a striking deep pink colour) but not to everyone's liking.

324e2e25417f258a3d650edb124b2381.jpg

This one must breath!!!

Back
Top Bottom