Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers?

Maybe that is why you dislike boomers you are stuck staring at a screen for hours and hours, boomers didn' have to, and probably are better off for it. ?‍♂️

But meh really how can you hate a whole generation, when you don't even know the people, except from some superficial nonsense someone dredged up. If anything you should dislike the people who are influencing you and planting these ideas.

I don't know. Hence why I made this post. The counter points balance out the **** from Reddit. My emotions are irrational and I need to balance that (or god forbid I follow them blindly instead.)

My CTO doesn't like listening to people, especially the newer generation (we're not professional, come into work in t-shirts, swear at each other, and salt on the wound is that the guys I work with are actually good developers.)

8 years ago, management wanted a full blown mission critical system done within a month. I was piss high on pain killers from a crash on mosport, came into work in a sling, and literally coded the entire system in a month (mostly solo, team was smaller then.)

I spent the next couple months telling them the system was ****, we need to redesign it, use a RESTful API type service (this is before everyone and their mother had APIs), and was told no because the CTO knew better (and he has a tendency to use "I have 20 years of experience!" to argue.)

Fast forward 3 years later (5 years ago.) A Windows update breaks my original work. Nobody blames me, the CTO didn't say anything, and I literally brought a flag into work that has "I TOLD YOU SO" on it, and kept it on my desk while I rewrote the system. They gave me two juniors to work with and we're all great friends now.

The CTO has stopped questioning anything I say (so I leave it to the juniors to tell me I'm a ******* idiot when I am instead lol)

Painkillers? In my day we would use a tourniquet tied so tightly it cut off circulation and we worked until the limb went black and fell off. Then we would pop over to the nearest nuclear power station and hang around until we grew a new limb and then do it all over again. Kids these days.

That's ok, my CTO made us wear custom printed T-shirts to launch a new program and
lol one had a very obvious spelling error on it, she made me wear it the ##### from a much younger generation

... that was the first boss I was ordered to lock out when she got canned, really broke my heart,
there were several more after that, I got pretty good at it :LOL: lots of practice.

That's ok, my CTO made us wear custom printed T-shirts to launch a new program and
lol one had a very obvious spelling error on it, she made me wear it the ##### from a much younger generation

... that was the first boss I was ordered to lock out when she got canned, really broke my heart,
there were several more after that, I got pretty good at it :LOL: lots of practice.

Apologies for my ignorance; what's a lock out? =(

when you get to lock out all your boss' access to all the systems and records.
Haha. When I left my last job, I was in charge of IT. I had to write a document on how to lock me out and give it to them. It did not seem like the most thorough approach to security. Then they called me a few months later and asked me how to get into something. I asked if they had changed the password as directed and they said yes. Well, how the hell am I supposed to help you get into the system when you have changed the password? smh.

when you get to lock out all your boss' access to all the systems and records.

OHHH.........

.....actually I had something similar happen.....

A manager of mine used to work 80 hour weeks (rest of us worked the regular 40) because the company I was at was technically inept and thinks ****** data fixes itself.

Long story short, he was fired and not told why. I was told to lock out his stuff (I was in school at the time and only working for them whenever I had a time, so I wasn't aware of the drama.) Later on I found out a very incompetent dev (who got fired later by me) accused him of sexual harassment.

The guy is socially awkward, so he may have said what I was told he said. But that woman was an impulsive liar (I worked with her, and it's pretty ******* hard to lie when git logs everything!) so....????????? We'll never know if this was a case of "guilty until proven innocent" or actually guilty. But holy **** am I glad that compulsively lying piece of **** that would write 10,000 line methods (not exaggerating on lines) is gone.

I'd say boomers running the education system ****** up the current generation the most. Turning Education into a business, participation medals, bell curves, valentines card for everyone, equality above skills, no snowballs!!! etc. All these detrimental tools are teaching kids that everything in life is fair and everyone is equal, while the real world is not exactly like that. Instead of spending the time to build up immunity against any unfairness or injustice while young and learning your place on the totem pole so you know where you stand and what to do.

Ex. Not getting any Valentines cards at school meant you had to change something, get funny, whatever. Not getting play time on the field, get better.

You too will get old and younger ones will write like this about you, and think the same of your ideas when you are in charge.

---

I think most of the hate comes from this:

Next day, I was the entire IT department for over 175 staff :D almost all of them female (y)
Great job.

Full on boomer here. Lots of hard earned benefits coming my way in the form of pensions and savings. Worked hard all my life (sick days,wtf is that?). Same for my wife.44 years with the same employer and then retirement. She came down with parkinsonism and now i am her spoiled rotten (lots of toys) psw.
I can't reply to your thoughts about boomers from this keyboard.It would mean much more face to face. I sincerely hope that happens someday. Ride safe, Ric.

Watch the video specifically; there is some legit fuckery in that one.

I think the only real thing that applies to me closely tho is the "holier than thou" attitude; can't give you enough stories about "holier than thou" boomer software managers getting holy hand grenaded by their own arrogance; I'm always sure to pour some gasoline on the wound too.

Oh, I also work in the energy/carbon sector where we're trying to reduce environmental impact; there is A LOT of boomer blaming in this sector (I need to get out maybe lol)

To be fair I will watch the video but at 47 minutes long I need a couple days.

life is gonna deal you the hand it deals, some better some worse, you can either sulk forever, or do something about it

To be fair I will watch the video but at 47 minutes long I need a couple days.

The topic is quite complex. I took the video far more seriously than the reddit noise. We know any subject that is to be taken seriously will take more than a bunch of angry ***** on reddit to explain lol

Next day, I was the entire IT department for over 175 staff :D almost all of them female (y)
Great job.
Wait what? lol

And thanks @Wingboy, ride safe as well.

I dunno, I think just labeling generations is in itself is part of the problem. You can't just lump a bunch of people together. People are just people, smart, dump, average, whatever. You meet people you like, fit with, and others you don't. Or are forced to spend time with people you don't like, say at work, and will never bond with. It varies, and I believe gerneration has nothing to do with it, at times.

#BoomerRemover

I like some boomers but some boomers have the WORKHARD = success/pull yourself up by your bootstraps attitude which makes me want to smack them over the head with a chair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like some boomers but some boomers have the WORKHARD = success/pull yourself up by your bootstraps attitude which makes me want to smack them over the head with a chair.
Actually from what I seen through life the less you did the more you got paid, I was an idiot I worked my ass off.

Actually from what I seen through life the less you did the more you got paid, I was an idiot I worked my ass off.

There’s some truth to this, just look at all the essential grocery store workers or farm workers making min wage working their butt off during a pandemic while execs and techies making 6 figures become as useful as a Harley with clipons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When there are 6 people in your organization on the sunshine club list :| it's slightly depressing to look at your pay check and know they have this thing called a golden parachute that you never even heard about before.

Oh, those people lol they go to meetings.
Lot's and Lots of them.

Back
Top Bottom