Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
I know this site is full of boomers. We also know this year has been a complete **** show. It was also during this shitshow that the internet coined COVID-19 as "boomer remover" (which they later realized wasn't accurate, because COVID-19 is killing the "Silent Generation.")

I find myself, as a millennial, having a ridiculous **** ton of hatred and anger towards boomers develop in the last 3 years but I couldn't figure out why it developed. It's not like school taught us this (or did it?); I'm not even part of the "I can't find a job and have to work min wage" graduate group.

So I decided to do some digging:

And then there's this:

So I'm curious, because this site is full of the most hated age group (and this isn't the playful **** talk, this is actual hatred; look at the links I posted), what are your thoughts on this? I like the "offmychest" most upvoted comment because it's the least emotionally loaded and not malevolent.

And just so I'm not generalizing too much (and I am): there have been some boomers I've met that are really cool during my riding life. They're always the ones that don't exhibit the "holier than thou" attitude very common among boomers (which I've also seen here.) But I've also learned that adopting a "holier than thou" attitude and hurling it right back at boomers for work politics tends to pacify the arrogant one, but this breeds a toxic environment.

as an X'er
the whole thing is amusing

we had boomers for parents and they were self-absorbed twats back then as well
it was actually okay to be left alone to our own devices

... I find myself, as a millennial, having a ridiculous **** ton of hatred...
That pretty much sums it up.
Freud would say it was motivated by self-preservation.

That pretty much sums it up.
Freud would say it was motivated by self-preservation.

I don't think this is entirely false. Especially considering the arguments for how boomers DID **** us over. But that's why this is a bit scary.

I can't objectively or quantitatively put together the "feelings", but if they're shared among a large enough populace, and you have enough suffering.....

Well, do you guys rmb why the boomer generation was so well off? Something really bad happened right before that lol

We did you over :ROFLMAO: seriously?

What did we do, give you semi-conductors ? ?

Read the posts and watch the YouTube video. They explain it far better than I can because all I do is stare at a screen making software.

as an X'er
the whole thing is amusing

we had boomers for parents and they were self-absorbed twats back then as well
it was actually okay to be left alone to our own devices

My parents are boomers as well.

My dad took a while to come around but he got that things were far harder than things were for him during my university years. He subsequently lost the "holier than thou" attitude and started "growing up" with me after. We're actually friends now...despite him being 65.

My mom still has the holier than thou attitude (and everyone hates her lol)

Millennial checking in. Your spending too much time at that toxic wasteland reddit. Everyone there thinking they haven't got a fair shake at life just wants to complain and blame the older generation instead of doing something about it. You say it yourself that you have no idea why you have these feelings but you do, you drank the Kool-Aid and they have you looking to blame a generation for whatever your not happy about.

Wut..l'm not a boomer but I don’t see how my parents ****** anyone over. The only thing I got from my parents was a decent whooping every now and again and a sense of ownership of my own mistakes rather than blaming everyone else (eg boomers) for everything going on in the world. My feeling is a little more of that in the millenial crowd and the newest crop of self indulgents and the world would be a better place. Or I guess you could just ignore all of that and go and take more selfies.

Millennial checking in. Your spending too much time at that toxic wasteland reddit. Everyone there thinking they haven't got a fair shake at life just wants to complain and blame the older generation instead of doing something about it. You say it yourself that you have no idea why you have these feelings but you do, you drank the Kool-Aid and they have you looking to blame a generation for whatever your not happy about.
Agree. You need to avoid the first nations trap of blaming all of your problems on real or imagined problems brought about by prior generations. Learn about the past because it is important but focus on yourself and how you can get where you want to be. The historical issues can make it harder to get there, but very few of them are insurmountable obstacles if you have the drive.

As for 油井緋色 ,you are obviously a smart and reasonably hard working guy that does a lot of thinking. Part of the complication of that style of brain is you are constantly troubled by things you don't fully understand (and you don't fully understand in a large part because I dont think anyone does). There is a nice simplicity to just drifting along without constantly questioning why things are the way they are and how we got here that you don't get to enjoy.

I know this site is full of boomers. We also know this year has been a complete **** show. It was also during this shitshow that the internet coined COVID-19 as "boomer remover" (which they later realized wasn't accurate, because COVID-19 is killing the "Silent Generation.")

I find myself, as a millennial, having a ridiculous **** ton of hatred and anger towards boomers develop in the last 3 years but I couldn't figure out why it developed. It's not like school taught us this (or did it?); I'm not even part of the "I can't find a job and have to work min wage" graduate group.

So I decided to do some digging:

And then there's this:

So I'm curious, because this site is full of the most hated age group (and this isn't the playful **** talk, this is actual hatred; look at the links I posted), what are your thoughts on this? I like the "offmychest" most upvoted comment because it's the least emotionally loaded and not malevolent.

And just so I'm not generalizing too much (and I am): there have been some boomers I've met that are really cool during my riding life. They're always the ones that don't exhibit the "holier than thou" attitude very common among boomers (which I've also seen here.) But I've also learned that adopting a "holier than thou" attitude and hurling it right back at boomers for work politics tends to pacify the arrogant one, but this breeds a toxic environment.
Yawn... your're just to young to understand how things roll from generation to generation.

Pretty much every generation had some type of hate-on for the folks 2 gens older than them. In the 50s the young Post War cohort (Elvis years) rebelled and hated what the rules and norms of their Depression Era elders, then the Baby Boomers (hippies) rebelled against the elder Gens, then Gen X (yuppies) again -- rinse and repeat, now it's your turn.

I think it the same reasons over and over. The 50-70 year olds have grown more conservative - younger cohorts are more progressive; they have and control money and the economy - you want money and control over the economy; they control politics and policy - you want more control, you protest but when it comes to the playoffs (voting time) you skip it to party - thank you for that.

Each generation shapes the world over a lifetime, when things get to their liking they are happy and start enjoying the fruits of their labour. They will never consider you priorities more important than theirs (and vice versa).

You are young, you will shape the world to your liking, and your grandchildren might just hate you for that.

Watch the video specifically; there is some legit fuckery in that one.

I think the only real thing that applies to me closely tho is the "holier than thou" attitude; can't give you enough stories about "holier than thou" boomer software managers getting holy hand grenaded by their own arrogance; I'm always sure to pour some gasoline on the wound too.

Oh, I also work in the energy/carbon sector where we're trying to reduce environmental impact; there is A LOT of boomer blaming in this sector (I need to get out maybe lol)

Read the posts and watch the YouTube video. They explain it far better than I can because all I do is stare at a screen making software.
Maybe that is why you dislike boomers you are stuck staring at a screen for hours and hours, boomers didn' have to, and probably are better off for it. ?‍♂️

But meh really how can you hate a whole generation, when you don't even know the people, except from some superficial nonsense someone dredged up. If anything you should dislike the people who are influencing you and planting these ideas.

I think the only real thing that applies to me closely tho is the "holier than thou" attitude; can't give you enough stories about "holier than thou" boomer software managers getting holy hand grenaded by their own arrogance; I'm always sure to pour some gasoline on the wound too.
We like stories, how about serving up a couple?

Agree. You need to avoid the first nations trap of blaming all of your problems on real or imagined problems brought about by prior generations. Learn about the past because it is important but focus on yourself and how you can get where you want to be. The historical issues can make it harder to get there, but very few of them are insurmountable obstacles if you have the drive.

As for 油井緋色 ,you are obviously a smart and reasonably hard working guy that does a lot of thinking. Part of the complication of that style of brain is you are constantly troubled by things you don't fully understand (and you don't fully understand in a large part because I dont think anyone does). There is a nice simplicity to just drifting along without constantly questioning why things are the way they are and how we got here that you don't get to enjoy.

Good point. I was reading some Jordan Peterson and there's were a few paragraphs about living in the moment without over analysis (something the younger generation will do a lot, because we grew up w/ the internet and all have degrees) in order to find more peace and reduce the amount of suffering over the world.

What did boomers inherit

We like stories, how about serving up a couple?

My CTO doesn't like listening to people, especially the newer generation (we're not professional, come into work in t-shirts, swear at each other, and salt on the wound is that the guys I work with are actually good developers.)

8 years ago, management wanted a full blown mission critical system done within a month. I was piss high on pain killers from a crash on mosport, came into work in a sling, and literally coded the entire system in a month (mostly solo, team was smaller then.)

I spent the next couple months telling them the system was ****, we need to redesign it, use a RESTful API type service (this is before everyone and their mother had APIs), and was told no because the CTO knew better (and he has a tendency to use "I have 20 years of experience!" to argue.)

Fast forward 3 years later (5 years ago.) A Windows update breaks my original work. Nobody blames me, the CTO didn't say anything, and I literally brought a flag into work that has "I TOLD YOU SO" on it, and kept it on my desk while I rewrote the system. They gave me two juniors to work with and we're all great friends now.

The CTO stopped questioning anything I say (so I left it to the juniors to tell me I'm a ******* idiot when I am instead lol)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom