Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will the next "hit the fan" moment involve boomers?

I’m a GenXer and have nothing but respect and admiration for Boomers.

I believe the access to information via Internet, consumerism of smartphones and social media platforms is inspiring the general population to create content. What makes me interesting? How can I get more views? Look how interesting I can be?

From politics, opinions, life hacks etc. Some dedicate themselves to TikTok or youtube to acquire as many followers, subscribers, likes etc.

People are so busy trying to be different and relevant, their sense of purpose is getting lost in the sea of garbage.

This GenXer’s google was the front door of the house I was raised in. I had to search by leaving the house and exploring. Interacting, communicating, socializing, networking, making mistakes, etc.

Today people are closer to The Matrix than ever. Groceries delivered, Amazon shopping, never leave the house, stay in the house and create TikToks or Youtube vids with hopes to go viral. When not creating, they are watching. Collecting and sharing ideas, forming opinions and continuing the cycle.

Yes, this is an over generalization and simple antidotal statements. No science or research to support this.

If you choose and have the opportunity to have children. By the time they get to high school and you are fortunate enough to actually engage them with regular conversations, you’ll appreciate the generational gap first hand. It progresses as they continue through university.

They know more, have ideas about how the world works, what’s wrong with it, and have strong opinions as to who is responsible for it and how they are above it all or if it affects them, it’s always someone else’s fault.

Saying all this, I believe if you focus on personal responsibility and not look at other people or things as barriers to your success, it becomes very liberating and freeing.

A couple of lessons I’ve learned.

Increased happiness isn’t proportional to wealth.

Why is it important to prove to others you are “right” about anything? And typically when I answer this question, I smile and feel my shoulders relax and become more zen.

Lastly, when having a discussion about anything, I ask “What are their motives?” And before responding, I ask, “What are my motives?”

Having the answer to both those questions helps me avoid several arguments or conflicts and I find myself at peace more often.

That’s my opinion for what ever it’s worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not a saint ;)

But hey, who knows, maybe in the far future. For now, I'm not humble enough to handle the burden of a child that isn't from my own genetics. If I ever get past this, then I will (....unless my wife doesn't lol.)

Hey, I'm glad you think that way too with regards to technological prowess.

My sentiments with regards to profit are more derived from the health care industry (which I'm not directly involved in.) An audiologist friend of mine recently told me her company has blasted out a marketing letter telling their patients to come in for a "free hearing test, and free hearing aid adjustment." When she asked her manager how the hell she's supposed to keep her sale numbers up by doing free hearing aid adjustments (red flag #1), the manager replied with "that campaign is meant to sell them more hearing aids" (red flag #2).

People enter health care to help other people, not to maximize profit. Stories like this are not uncommon sadly.
My comments are not related to your quoted post, it's just easier to reply than @ you.

You have done a lot of research and thinking about groups that believe they have been harmed by others (incel, older generations, white supremacist extremist Muslim, blm etc). In some situations some degree of harm happened, in others only the most minor of slights has been grabbed as the foundation for a cause, in others, none at all, just the belief that they are being harmed.

There seems to be a common underlying theme. Many people would rather believe that the reseaon they cannot attain what they desire (or *shudder* are owed) is because of the "others" that are holding them back or have made sure they start from a lesser position. They find some like minded individuals and it becomes a movement where they support each others beliefs and call for action. If they dedicated similar time and effort to working in the system (with the ultimate goal of helping impose change from a position of power or wealth) instead of protesting a system that has no interest in changing many would succeed. As they rise up, they can pull others up with them. Obviously this is harder and has the possibility of failure at which point do they admit that they failed or do they increase their hatred of the "others"?

Back
Top Bottom