Will my broker hate me? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will my broker hate me?

Yes on the Tuono.

Priller got it right on the money, it was Riders Plus.
$1000 / year for me from TD on the Tuono. Was tempted, but the bike is too small for 6' upwards riders. Too bad as I'm sure the bike is a blast to ride.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Test rode my first ducati today...a hyperstrada with the 821 liquid cooled engine...

wow

I knew the engine was going to be good, I didnt know it was gonna be this good!
reminded me a lot of the fz09, torquey, punchy hard hitting...

I liked the chugga chugga chugga of the engine at the low revs

The gearbox was slick and precise and required the absolute minimal effort to shift , made my yamaha feel like an archaic harley

The seating position was like the fz too, upright, dirt bike style, but its a tall bike, im 6'2 and I can flat foot it, but shorter people cant.
You're def sitting on the bike, rather than in it.

The biggest surprise though was the brakes, I thought I did a good job on the fz with with the sintered EBC brakes, steel braided lines, bleeding the brakes etc etc, but it wasnt till I rode the duc that I realized that I have what are called 'wooden' brakes...they work ok, they stop, but they're very meh

the duc has AWESOME brakes...they're not only stronger but they're so communicative that its actually kind of mind blowing

I rode home from the test ride somewhat dejected at my brakes :confused:

The only thing I didnt like about the ducati was that my right heel kept hitting something on the bike and made it awkward to put my
foot on the peg in the typical sporty "balls of your feet" position, but I have heard this is a design flaw that is a hallmark of the brand and the italians refuse to change it

my right boot heel is somewhat melted from touching the silencer
Italians must have tiny feet

it's the entire riding experience of a euro bike that impresses
butter smooth yet precise, suspension, braking, fueling
aeros, ergo triangle, seat....all of it just more refined as a package
if you find one that fits you it's all over

and with Italian stuff
the looks and sound are the icing

Just add stickers...apparently they add like +2hp / sticker.

Ahh, cool. The inside lid of my top box adds about 75HP to my Vulcan then. Another 15 or 20 stickers and I'll be able to out accelerate my buddy on his FJR! Woohoo!

Test rode my first ducati today...a hyperstrada with the 821 liquid cooled engine...

wow

I knew the engine was going to be good, I didnt know it was gonna be this good!
reminded me a lot of the fz09, torquey, punchy hard hitting...

I liked the chugga chugga chugga of the engine at the low revs

The gearbox was slick and precise and required the absolute minimal effort to shift , made my yamaha feel like an archaic harley

The seating position was like the fz too, upright, dirt bike style, but its a tall bike, im 6'2 and I can flat foot it, but shorter people cant.
You're def sitting on the bike, rather than in it.

The biggest surprise though was the brakes, I thought I did a good job on the fz with with the sintered EBC brakes, steel braided lines, bleeding the brakes etc etc, but it wasnt till I rode the duc that I realized that I have what are called 'wooden' brakes...they work ok, they stop, but they're very meh

the duc has AWESOME brakes...they're not only stronger but they're so communicative that its actually kind of mind blowing

I rode home from the test ride somewhat dejected at my brakes :confused:

The only thing I didnt like about the ducati was that my right heel kept hitting something on the bike and made it awkward to put my
foot on the peg in the typical sporty "balls of your feet" position, but I have heard this is a design flaw that is a hallmark of the brand and the italians refuse to change it
I echo and concur with all your v twin comments.

Yeah, even the 'base' brembos are leagues over the fz09s.

Hyperstrada or monster? I think maranello has a yellow 821 out front, looks sick.

wow

Rode a friend's 821 Monster... I'm very impressed by the engine, wasn't expecting the pep it had, and the handling was spot-on.
Gearbox and everything else was good, the brakes felt a bit mushy to me (but, my stable of bikes over the past 5 years have all been Brembo M50 brakes, so I'm spoiled). They stopped well, don't get me wrong, but the lever didn't give me the level of feel I'm accustomed to.

As for the right heel - I'd never buy this bike simply due to it. My heel rests on the exhaust with foot in proper "ready" riding position. Maybe a slip on would make a difference, but I can't say for sure.

I've ridden quite a few other Ducatis as well, and this was the only one with the heel issue - guessing it's the same as the Hypermotard you rode.

I echo and concur with all your v twin comments.

Yeah, even the 'base' brembos are leagues over the fz09s.

Hyperstrada or monster? I think maranello has a yellow 821 out front, looks sick.

its on the list ;)
Have a few more test rides to do before I buy

$1000 / year for me from TD on the Tuono. Was tempted, but the bike is too small for 6' upwards riders. Too bad as I'm sure the bike is a blast to ride.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Wow, gives me some idea of how much they punished me for being out of province and not having 'continuous' insurance (ICBC lets you buy daily, monthly, etc.) Otherwise clean record, rider training, 15+ years riding experience, and my quote was almost $1400/yr.

(And just because I can't resist putting my two cents in, I'm 6'1", and the Tuono fits me well. It definitely feels tight at a standstill, but when moving, it feels natural. Granted, I did rotate the bars somewhat, as the shop assembly had them too low. I was coming from a sportbike, so it's all relative, but I also hated the feet-forward supermoto riding position of the Super Duke, so I'm sure familiarity has something to do with it...)

Wow, gives me some idea of how much they punished me for being out of province and not having 'continuous' insurance (ICBC lets you buy daily, monthly, etc.) Otherwise clean record, rider training, 15+ years riding experience, and my quote was almost $1400/yr.

(And just because I can't resist putting my two cents in, I'm 6'1", and the Tuono fits me well. It definitely feels tight at a standstill, but when moving, it feels natural. Granted, I did rotate the bars somewhat, as the shop assembly had them too low. I was coming from a sportbike, so it's all relative, but I also hated the feet-forward supermoto riding position of the Super Duke, so I'm sure familiarity has something to do with it...)
Postal codes in the gta can make a 100% change in your rate.

Postal codes in the gta can make a 100% change in your rate.

Really? Seems a bit excessive, considering they are always banging on about medical payouts being the reason for the high rates. I could see it for theft, but does being in one region make you twice as likely to be involved in a crash? Would love to see the statistics behind that.

I'm in lower Hamilton, which I'm sure isn't considered prime for them, despite it being a great neighbourhood. I'd be curious to know how much of the difference is area and how much is non-continuous insurance...

another thing I forgot to mention, most of my riding has been on older bikes with cable throttle, when I ride newer bikes with ride by wire, the difference is subtle but def there..

When cracking the throttle open on traditional throttle, there's this resistance when cracking the throttle open, its almost like its heavier...

whereas with rbw that subtle opposing resistance is not there, it weighs less somehow, and cracks open a lot easier/quicker with less effort

Really? Seems a bit excessive, considering they are always banging on about medical payouts being the reason for the high rates. I could see it for theft, but does being in one region make you twice as likely to be involved in a crash? Would love to see the statistics behind that.

I'm in lower Hamilton, which I'm sure isn't considered prime for them, despite it being a great neighbourhood. I'd be curious to know how much of the difference is area and how much is non-continuous insurance...
Here are some links for car insurance (they pulled quotes for a civic). Motorcycles are a small market, I assume they will follow the same weighting. First link is a summary article, second is larger article with more data. In short, rates across province varied from 1000 to 2500 based on postal code, average was 1500.

Here are some links for car insurance (they pulled quotes for a civic). Motorcycles are a small market, I assume they will follow the same weighting. First link is a summary article, second is larger article with more data. In short, rates across province varied from 1000 to 2500 based on postal code, average was 1500.

Well. I'm two and a half short blocks away from saving $150/yr, according to the interactive map on the Kanetix website. Wouldn't change my world, but still...

Thanks for that!

BP

that lowered throttle resistance will come to be appreciated with RBW
if the manu has the mapping right, it's beautiful

hurry up and buy the bike FFS!

we wanna hear about it :)

BP

that lowered throttle resistance will come to be appreciated with RBW
if the manu has the mapping right, it's beautiful

hurry up and buy the bike FFS!

we wanna hear about it :)

At this point its between the MT 10 and a bunch of ducatis

I want something torquey/punchy, characterful and comfortable, so that means a V twin(though I've read and heard enough good things about the yamaha that i'd be interested in that as well)

The superduke is out because...well I cant stand its looks

Just a matter of lining up the test rides now(the ducati dealers have been more accommodating so far)

The lightly used, underpriced aprilia I was interested in was sold before I could test ride it(so the dealer tells me)

I've also been getting insurance quotes in addition to lining up test rides, the mt 10 is surprisingly affordable...(must be because its not over 1000cc?)

If a yamaha dealer is reading this, hit me up!

Will probably buy in the next couple of weeks

Also if anyone has ridden an Mt 10 as well as the monster 1200, let me know how they compare!

Also if anyone has ridden an Mt 10 as well as the monster 1200, let me know how they compare!

MT10 has a jerky on/off throttle. But a decent bike.
Monster is solid too - more torque, same comfort.

At this point I would suggest riding both back to back.
Apex in Cambridge in a Ducati/Yamaha dealer - maybe see if the have both available for demo rides.

At this point its between the MT 10 and a bunch of ducatis

So to be clear, you're looking for a street-focused super naked? (Just not the KTM)

Assuming you've looked at and/or rejected the other street-focused models out there, including the Speed Triple RS, S1000R, and Kawi Z H2?

I'm deeply biased in favour of the Tuono, as I'm madly in love with mine. It's comfier on the road than people assume from sitting on one in the shop. On the move, it makes a lot of sense. Corsa Meccanica has a clean and stock 2017 RR for $11.5k.

Curious to see where you end up. Sounds like you want the Super Duke with different styling...

I've owned a bunch of Yamahas
6 I think

half of them had excellent throttle control
the other half had an on/off switch for your right hand

the good ones were carbureted
I love the brand
but EFI is just not their thing

Back
Top Bottom