+ Why we crash + | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

+ Why we crash +

Happened on Canada Day

I *stupidly* rushed a corner and was kind of busy with thoughts ... Took a corner and was not experienced enough to deal with changing my cornering to avoid loose gravel. Nanoseconds ... The bike slid and I went flying but luckily I didn't go flying into the forest because the area had a metal barrier thing?

Luckily I only ended up with some bruise :) but the first bike is probably going to the dump :(

Ironically, it happened really close to home so I might have been less paranoid than when I was way up north .....

I think statistically most accidents happen close to home / on roads you are used to. Makes you more complacent. Glad to hear you are okay!!

Driving to work for me can become an autopilot thing if I don't force myself to be aware at all times.

Drove up to North York / Vaughan all the way up Bathurst yesterday. Was the fastest I have gone on my bike (hit 80-90 at some points further north, traffic was flying!) - also noticed I was much more aware driving in a foreign part of town. Tried to scoot out of every blind spot and make room for anyone who seemed like they might change lanes right into me. Also noticed an ALARMING amount of people on their phones Jesus mother of God... Gotta keep eyes peeled at all times.

Hope you find a new ride soon and get back on the road safely :) Heal up!

I think statistically most accidents happen close to home / on roads you are used to. Makes you more complacent. Glad to hear you are okay!!

Driving to work for me can become an autopilot thing if I don't force myself to be aware at all times.

Drove up to North York / Vaughan all the way up Bathurst yesterday. Was the fastest I have gone on my bike (hit 80-90 at some points further north, traffic was flying!) - also noticed I was much more aware driving in a foreign part of town. Tried to scoot out of every blind spot and make room for anyone who seemed like they might change lanes right into me. Also noticed an ALARMING amount of people on their phones Jesus mother of God... Gotta keep eyes peeled at all times.

Hope you find a new ride soon and get back on the road safely :) Heal up!
Get used to it.

I raged for my first reason then just realized it's now the norm.

Sad times..

Statistically, you are also close to home a very high percentage of your riding/driving time. I would love to see a study where they cancelled out time to see if it was actually more dangerous in distance/km.

He learned a good lesson for all of us. No matter where you are or when the last time you took a road was, assume there is gravel in every corner and you should make it home in one piece. I know I learned that one on snake road and almost needed a change of underwear.

He learned a good lesson for all of us. No matter where you are or when the last time you took a road was, assume there is gravel in every corner and you should make it home in one piece. I know I learned that one on snake road and almost needed a change of underwear.

And tar snakes, tis the season for those...turning onto my own street one evening carrying a bit of speed it wasn't there when I left in the morning and then it was, all fresh and glistening. I was able to hold it up but that side step the back wheel did made me pucker up.

Because the !@#$% rock was just a little too big and slimy:
five.jpg

Was not aware of this thread previously, so I'll add my friend's story to encourage new riders to buy absolute shitboxes for your first ride.

In his first year riding my ex500 (admittedly a shitbox that idgaf about) up north, he found himself on a farming road that was all dirt. Rounded a corner and ended up target fixating into a roadside gully that was thankfully not flooded and actually quite ridable. He did not bail but instead wrestled with the bike for the next 30-45 seconds on how to get out of it. He probably travelled a good 500m or so in the gully until he concluded that he needed to steer into the opposite side of the gully and then take a more perpendicular line up the other side of the gully to return to pavement. Pucker moment of the year for him.

The next year, he went down as he pushsteered over a big metal construction plate that was covering up a big hole on Yonge St.
It was raining, he was in full high-viz gear, and a car in front of him that had indicated, and moved over into the right turn lane to a dealership, decided that they no longer wanted to enter the dealership and came back onto the right lane, move executed in the middle of an intersection with a sidestreet, in front of him on approach.

Pushsteer (countersteered?) on top of the plate (probably with some rear brake) and down he went.
He saw the driver pull over 100m up the road, but they quickly left as he had some assistance right the bike.
Rash on full face visor + bent shifter.

His bike also fell over while on sidestand as the weight got away and tipped over to the non-kickstand side.

I rode it a few times, fun bike, not the best for multi-hour touring though.

Last week I saw a black R6 lane splitting and riding erratically on the same stretch of highway, made me cringe as I watched him go between transport trucks. Wonder if it's the same rider.

Regardless, despite the circumstances I wish the rider a speedy recovery and a chance to look back on this as a lesson learned.

GWS. I understand the desire to split lanes, but traffic should be 20km/h or less and you should go no higher than 50km/h. Bad construction zone, dangerous lanes on that 427.

A motorcyclist is in hospital with critical injuries after colliding with the back of a cube van on Highway 27 Monday evening.

Provincial police were to the northbound lanes of the highway just south of Derry Road just after 5 p.m.

The driver of the motorcycle was reportedly driving through traffic or “lane-splitting” when they collided with the back of a cube van.
It was actually on 427 just pass airport , more like a straight truck is what he hit. I was there. :(

Ride like a grandpa if you want to be riding while your a grandpa. - Big poppa

Reminds me of my favourite: "There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold riders!"

via Tapatalk

Adidas flip-flops

anyone hear how the rider made out?
nasty collision

3hpQk1Z.jpg
I like the reinforcement bands where the flipflop meets the shifter -- superb idea, my shoes always wear out there.

Reactions: J_F
I'm not going to profess to sainthood when it comes to riding, I take it to the hairy edge from time to time. That said, I have learned how to stay safe -- 4 decades without a ticket or crash.

In the city I ride like a grampa, I don't think there is another long term option. Find the lowest common denominator with the folks that share the streets, stay below that.

I'm not a gear Nazi. I wear quality lids, jackets and gloves all the time. I prefer jeans and Wellingtons over riding pants for everyday riding and touring. I use riding pants when pushing limits on challenging roads.

I might ride in shorts and a tee to the store and back on my 125cc Enduro. Where I ride it, the speeds are no higher than what I get on my bicycle.

I was in a collision on the way to work on Tuesday. I'm a little bruised but thankfully nothing worse. The bike though will hopefully be reparable, but the front sustained a lot of damage, mainly to the tupperware.

I was riding on Eglinton West going east from Oakwood to the Allen in the right (southmost) lane. Traffic was moving slowly in the left lane but was clear in my lane. A pickup truck in the oncoming lane was trying to make a left into the parking lot on the south side of Eglinton. Guy in a car in the left lane waved him though, so the pickup truck just went straight across two lanes without looking to see if anyone was coming in my lane. But I was coming. He cut into my lane right in front of me, and I barely had time to squeeze my brakes, but it wasn't enough time. I collided with the right front side of his truck and left a dent. Luckily I wasn't speeding. It could have been a lot worse.

I had my bike towed to the collision reporting centre afterwards. Today (the next day) my insurance company is having my bike towed from there to a shop near my house for assessment and (hopefully) the necessary repairs. Needless to say, even without having to go to hospital, dealing with a crash like this takes up the whole day. The collision happened shortly after 9am, and I wasn't able to leave the collision reporting centre after filing the insurance claim until around 3pm when I could finally have lunch. At least the insurance recognizes that the blame lies entirely with the truck driver since he was turning left and I was going straight. That means it won't affect my insurance premium and I won't have to pay the deductible.

Back
Top Bottom