Why I'd buy another Honda | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I'd buy another Honda

+1 for oil changes every 5,000km and filter every other. Think my bike kicks the oil indicator on around 7k however I find vibrations start to worsen past 4,000km. Considering the bike cruises for hours on the highway at nearly 10,000RPM its not worth saving $30 a year to squeeze out every bit of oil life.
r3 vibrates?

:unsure:

+1 for oil changes every 5,000km and filter every other. Think my bike kicks the oil indicator on around 7k however I find vibrations start to worsen past 4,000km. Considering the bike cruises for hours on the highway at nearly 10,000RPM its not worth saving $30 a year to squeeze out every bit of oil life.
The oil change frequency varies machine to machine. 5000km is the oil change interval for an R3. That little heart is beating fast and only packs 2.4l of oil for engine and tranny.

Bigger bikes rev less and have larger oil capacity, some will run 12K between changes.
Good on you for anal maintenance...I change my oil every 2k.....I have NEVER trashed a motor vehicle because of engine problems...."pay me now or pay me later " as they say
I've never trashed a 4-stroke motor either, my changes are once a season or at manufacturer's recommended interval. I do however change filters every time I change oil. My old 2000 GL1500 enjoyed Motomaster 10w30 and Fram filters her whole life -- she ran like a top at 200,000km when I sold her, perfect compression on all 6. I have a few old girls in the garage, most close to 100K on the clock -- none have seen engine work, all have seen scheduled maintenance.

Last edited:
Too frequent oil changes for some, just throwing money away, it's not helping the engine last longer, esp if your using full synthetic, just going down the drain. Manufacture Intervals or right before winter storage is all you need.

Bought my CB500X of an Amsoil Engineer who did frequent oil analysis, and one on the bike when it hit 1000km after changing to Amsoil. He had a few bikes before and lab tested all the oil. He found at even manufacture intervals, the oil still had over 70%+ of life left. He had two cars on his driveway. each at over 300,000kms! I was blown away when he told me he only ever did oil changes every 50,000 or so kms!! He tested the oil every change as well. Oil has changed a lot in the last few decades, so have engines, our minds are staying the same.

Too frequent oil changes for some, just throwing money away, it's not helping the engine last longer, esp if your using full synthetic, just going down the drain. Manufacture Intervals or right before winter storage is all you need.

Bought my CB500X of an Amsoil Engineer who did frequent oil analysis, and one on the bike when it hit 1000km after changing to Amsoil. He had a few bikes before and lab tested all the oil. He found at even manufacture intervals, the oil still had over 70%+ of life left. He had two cars on his driveway. each at over 300,000kms! I was blown away when he told me he only ever did oil changes every 50,000 or so kms!! He tested the oil every change as well. Oil has changed a lot in the last few decades, so have engines, our minds are staying the same.
out of curiosity, what were the vehicles/years?

out of curiosity, what were the vehicles/years?

One was an older Nissan Altima, I'm guessing 2005-2008 year, I forget the other, I think it was Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix, I was more focused on looking at the Bike we bought. He was writing some article for Auto trader I think regarding 3M reflective tape, so had the bike plastered in that stuff for testing.

Congrats on having a bike and actually using it.... and maintaining it! Gotta say that is a pretty busy season at 24k km. Where did you go with it?

I doubt t50K oil changes are good for a car or bike. There are several issues oil solves -- lubrication, cleaning, cooling, seal conditioning, and corrosion control. Over time blowby and condensation contaminate oil and break down the corrosion protection PLUS contaminated oil is hard on engine seals.

300K on a well maintained car is nothing these days. I've retired 3 high milers in the last few years, I got 450K out of an 99 A4, and almost 600K out of an 90 Astrovan, and 420K out of an 02 Infiniti Q45 -- almost everything on those cars was shot, engines were fine.

Reactions: J_F
My CBR650R recommended oil change is every 12k and an oil filtre change every 24k. Which is brilliant. I would never do that 5k oil change. I ain't no hippie, but I think that's just too much.

Oh look, an oil thread! LOL.

I'm on the "change it when the manual says to change it" bandwagon. I came to the realization that the "every x000KM" routine, or the "it makes me feel better" routine is akin to just flushing money in the toilet.

My VTX calls for changes every 6500KM. I change it in that range +/- 500KM or so. Have put 80,000+KM on it in the last 4 years and it still runs like a Timex.

Good on you for anal maintenance...I change my oil every 2k.....I have NEVER trashed a motor vehicle because of engine problems...."pay me now or pay me later " as they say
I change mine ever 12000 and have never had an oil related engine problem.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom