Why I'd buy another Honda | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I'd buy another Honda

jemlinus

Today, I just had the final ride of the season. I'm out of the country from December to February so I won't be using it for a while.

I bought my CBR650R in January and picked it up in the 3rd week of April. After that, I did 24,463km this season. After 5 oil changes and a set of tires, the bike still rides like it did when I got it. I love everything about this bike. Looks, power, electronics, and fuel economy.

What a machine!

Attachments

• 20191102_124117.jpg
    20191102_124117.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 53
Five oil changes in 24,000km? WTF! Sorry, but fuel economy means nothing with that frequency of oil change.

Today, I just had the final ride of the season. I'm out of the country from December to February so I won't be using it for a while.

I bought my CBR650R in January and picked it up in the 3rd week of April. After that, I did 24,463km this season. After 5 oil changes and a set of tires, the bike still rides like it did when I got it. I love everything about this bike. Looks, power, electronics, and fuel economy.

What a machine!
24K in a season is a fair bit of riding, but you shouldn't be surprised that the bike handles and operates like new. A friend of mine rode her Hornet (the predecessor to your bike) for 150,000 miles with not much more than routine maintenance. With the exception of supersports, most street bikes will go surprising distances with little more than standard care.

5 oil changes is a bit much. Your bike goes 12,000km between changes, unless you're towing a trailer, riding track, or running hard on dirt there is no good reason to doubleup maintenance.

Reactions: TK4
I do my oil change every 5km also, I skip the filter every other. It’s a easy way for me to remember when I’m due for fresh fluid .

I know I'm good with 3 oil changes, but two times I got it done while I was getting other stuff done. I have no day off in summer so I can't afford the time to go back. And the last one was done a couple days ago.

I agree that I'm being wasteful so I'll do my best next year not to.:cautious:

Thanks.

I do my oil change every 5km also, I skip the filter every other. It’s a easy way for me to remember when I’m due for fresh fluid .
I use one of the trip counters. /shrug

Are you still on the original fork oil?

I am. I need to service the fork as well before next season.

I'm a certified Fox suspension tech for bicycle fork so I might try to service the fork myself when I come back.

I use one of the trip counters. /shrug

You could do that, works great until the battery dies. 5k is a good mark for me, a jug of rotella T6 is cheap. Bike is 90% commuter, lots of stops and starts. Plus I beat the **** out of the bike most of the time.

Generally, if you torque steering head bearings at the required service Interval as specified by the manufacturer, they should last a long time.

Agree, ST bearings are often overlooked.
On many bikes, the fork oil is changed at the break in service and then every 2- 4 years after. Very critical on bikes with semi-active suspension.

excellent suggestion

steering head bearings need changed too

and what is that valve noise?

Last edited:
You could do that, works great until the battery dies. 5k is a good mark for me, a jug of rotella T6 is cheap. Bike is 90% commuter, lots of stops and starts. Plus I beat the **** out of the bike most of the time.

Call me anal, but I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my maintenance. Makes it much easier to reference the last time I did whichever service.

Call me anal, but I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my maintenance. Makes it much easier to reference the last time I did whichever service.

and this is exactly the sort of information I ask for when buying used
sure a sheet can be faked
but if I ask the question and they have it to share
big + for me in understanding the MTCE has been done per MFR sched

bike specific forums usually have a sheet built that owners can populate

With all my vehicles, I'm always ahead of the schedules. Sometimes, a little too much. :D

Either way, Kudos to Honda. CBR650R is MFR'd in Thailand so Honda proved to me once again that they know what they are doing whether they are made in Japan or not.

Good on you for anal maintenance...I change my oil every 2k.....I have NEVER trashed a motor vehicle because of engine problems...."pay me now or pay me later " as they say

+1 for oil changes every 5,000km and filter every other. Think my bike kicks the oil indicator on around 7k however I find vibrations start to worsen past 4,000km. Considering the bike cruises for hours on the highway at nearly 10,000RPM its not worth saving $30 a year to squeeze out every bit of oil life.

Back
Top Bottom