Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2021 Edition) | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2021 Edition)

map-X2.jpg

The Keremeos Loop is one of our favorite rides in the area.

It's mainly 80 km/h high-speed sweepers through a scenic lake region. Also because it's an adjunct to the main Hwy 97, there is hardly any commuter traffic, especially during the weekdays.

DSCN2805-X2.jpg

Neda's finally insured her golden motorcycle, and it's on its maiden voyage this season. This is heading south along Okanagan Lake.

We turn towards Keremeos and the scenery gets good.

DSCN2806-X2.jpg

Frozen lakes and twisty roads. Still... we're riding motorcycles in March, which is very cool, er... cold...

After we pass Keremeos, we turn on Hwy 3, also known as the famous Crowsnest Pass. This road runs parallel to the US border all the way to Alberta, but we're only on it for a short run.

DSCN2823-X2.jpg

Bikes wait patiently outside while we warm up at Timmies at Osoyoos. And then back on the road!

sideshot-X2.jpg

A different point of view. From the Knee-Cam! :D

We pass through the desert of the South Okanagan and the sagebrush dotting the hills around us reminds me of riding through the SW US states. Temperatures climb to 16°C! But only along the southern route. Back to 11°C on the northbound route home.

DSCN2825-X2.jpg

Stopped in Penticton to take a picture of the Peach on the Beach. They serve ice cream here in the summer. Closed right now... obviously.

Another great day of riding! I'm scheduled for my 1K service on the Duc next week, but I couldn't resist spending every day of this last week on the road. So I'm a few hundred kms over... Oh well... 🤷‍♂️ :p:p:p

Yup. Funny I was thinking I had quite a stretch w/o pinching one and maybe I was getting good at this. Turns out I was just getting cocky.
Well if its anything like putting a tube in an 18 inch garden tractor tire without a bench vise to help hold the rim, you just have to get mad/cocky sometimes.

I got out a few times in the last few weeks, including a mud road adventure. Bike is still muddy. Meh. If this winter ever dies I can turn on the water in my garage again and wash it. I think I even got (gasp!) road salt on it. Bike has not disintegrated into a pile of rust yet contrary to what some insist will happen.

Anyhow, now that the border is open again and the testing requirements have gone out the window, a friend and I have plans for a 6 day trip to the Dragon etc etc.

I've spent the last few weeks on and off plotting the maximum possible amount of riding without any backtracking and came up with this.

Cross at Detriot/Windsor and shoot south.

- Devils Triangle
- Tail of the Dragon (of course, it's mandatory, if overrated IMHO)
- Cherohala
- Moonshiners
- The Copperhead
- The Diamondback
- Back of the Dragon.

Head home through WV/PA and hit up some of the Aleghenies on the way back if time allows....but that's a separate trip a few weeks later with a different group of friends, so I'm now sweating the PA part.

In addition to any other roads in between those which are notable and/or look interesting on the GPS, main point of interest is looking akin to a pretzel on the map LOL.

After 2 years stuck riding here in Ontario during Covid I can't express how freakin excited I am about this.

the testing requirements have gone out the window
Have they now?
I havent kept up, didnt they switch from an expensive difficult test to an easy cheap one?
And are vaccine passports still a thing?

I got out a few times in the last few weeks, including a mud road adventure. Bike is still muddy. Meh. If this winter ever dies I can turn on the water in my garage again and wash it. I think I even got (gasp!) road salt on it. Bike has not disintegrated into a pile of rust yet contrary to what some insist will happen.

Anyhow, now that the border is open again and the testing requirements have gone out the window, a friend and I have plans for a 6 day trip to the Dragon etc etc.

I've spent the last few weeks on and off plotting the maximum possible amount of riding without any backtracking and came up with this.

Cross at Detriot/Windsor and shoot south.

- Devils Triangle
- Tail of the Dragon (of course, it's mandatory, if overrated IMHO)
- Cherohala
- Moonshiners
- The Copperhead
- The Diamondback
- Back of the Dragon.

Head home through WV/PA and hit up some of the Aleghenies on the way back if time allows....but that's a separate trip a few weeks later with a different group of friends, so I'm now sweating the PA part.

In addition to any other roads in between those which are notable and/or look interesting on the GPS, main point of interest is looking akin to a pretzel on the map LOL.

After 2 years stuck riding here in Ontario during Covid I can't express how freakin excited I am about this.
If you have already been on most of those before, then look here for a bunch of different, but equally amazing roads:

I'm heading down in 5 weeks and will be doing the routes above - at least the first 5 days for sure.

I think they’ve removed the requirement for short trips (<72 hours). Vaccine requirement is still a thing.

Have they now?
I havent kept up, didnt they switch from an expensive difficult test to an easy cheap one?
And are vaccine passports still a thing?

As of April 1st all testing is gone for fully vaccinated travellers. You may still be selected for random testing upon return but I think the chances of that happening are slim. You still need to use ArriveCan.

If you have already been on most of those before, then look here for a bunch of different, but equally amazing roads:

I'm heading down in 5 weeks and will be doing the routes above - at least the first 5 days for sure.

Awesome, thanks.

Before my brain turned to mush courtesy of Covid I spent countless hours over the last few weeks plotting this trip down and back to maximize every day to get to and from the "best" roads as part of a big loop. I know there will be countless awesome roads that we just won't have time to experience, but 6 days is just not anywhere near enough to do every road I'd love to do. Heck, last time I went to the dragon it was a 3 or 4 day thing, so 6 is a luxury as it is, but everytime I sit down with Google maps I see some pretzelled road that leads off into a mountain pass somewhere that I think would be awesome to check out, but I just can't make it work without pushing our daily riding miles (once we're down there at least) potentially too far. Although I enjoy eat-sleep-ride, I know not everyone does, and plus, the average speeds on the squirrlies down there can impact that of course.

I think what I came up with is a path between all the roads that we want to do with "options" in between to check out some others depending on how our day is panning out. The Scenic app seems to have gone through a pretty massive overhaul and I'm going to give it a shot - it seems like it might be the cats meow for "we have some time, take me to a twisty!" now, if we're seemginly ahead of schedule and want to go off on some tangents aside from our planned routes. I tried Scenic before and found it horribly unintuitive, but I'm kind of digging the updated version, so I'll subscribe to the 1 year plan and check it out.

Back
Top Bottom