Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition) | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition)

Do you change to a lower viscosity motor oil for the winter or run a block heater? Heated parking?

No. I run Rotella 5w40 all year round. I have used that oil down to -25°c (Picking up my 2015 DL1000 from the dealership in Late Feb or early January and it sat overnight outside. (It was a cold ride but only about 20km to home.) I also had Rotella 5w40 on my 2006 DL650 running in Death Valley in temperatures up to 52°c / 126°f with no issues. That bike also had about 185,000 km on it a the time. Never had any issues starting in the cold. On liquid cooled bikes the viscosity isn't as big a deal as long as it's thin enough to start.

..Tom

It was a nice -7 when I left home this morning. Beautiful ride in to work in nice dry roads.

No bugs! :)

..Tom

A thin coating of 100% Tung nut oil over your painted or anodized aluminum parts will greatly reduce the effects of road salt corrosion :geek:

I'm thinking of heading out around noon today - clouds supposed to clear out, 2c, and nice and sunny.

Oshawa was putting brine on their roads last night. Just Oshawa. Nobody else. I'm not sure what forecast they were looking at, but the ones I've been seeing showed a zero percent chance of precipitation for 24 hours, and a zero percent chance of precipitation until Thursday for that matter. WTF.

Got out, first 140KM of the 2021 season in the books.

Tmaxx thermal underwear ($80 well spent a few years ago in cold weather riding gear), heated grips, FiredUp heated vest (from one of the past GTAM group buys, also money well spent) along with other basic good quality gear suited for the conditions and I was snug as a bug in a rug.

Awesome to be out again.

1610237638355.png

Bonus internet pointz for anyone who can narrow down where one of our stops were.

Leaving for Australia in 24 hours. Then 2 weeks quarantine. Hope the KLR isn't too sulky after a year away. Can't wait to get to home there ....zero cases ..no masks...normal life ...movies, eateries.... (y)

Just have to navigate an overnight in LAX.:eek: Got my negative covid test results today....pretty slick and fast system if you are thinking of flying. 12 hours test to lab results, FlyClear.

Heard some riders out today. Glad some of you got out.

Leaving for Australia in 24 hours. Then 2 weeks quarantine. Hope the KLR isn't too sulky after a year away. Can't wait to get to home there ....zero cases ..no masks...normal life ...movies, eateries.... (y)

Just have to navigate an overnight in LAX.:eek: Got my negative covid test results today....pretty slick and fast system if you are thinking of flying. 12 hours test to lab results, FlyClear.

Heard some riders out today. Glad some of you got out.
Safe trip md. Considering the abusive life many klrs see, a one year nap should be shaken off with few issues.

I don't. Manuals normally show you suitable viscosities based on temp. With synthetic, one oil can normally cover all canadian temperatures. My old K75 required pulling the plugs and hitting them with a torch before it would fire if the engine was a lot below freezing. Only took a couple minutes.
Triples are harder to start in the cold then the I-4's it would seem. I've experienced this also, the 4's appear to have some inherent advantage in the firing sequence.

You're at the Timmies on hwy 2 Port Hope. must have been heading for lakeshore?

Winner Winner. 500 bonus internet pointz for you! ?

I'm not usually one to ever hang out at Timmies (much less even stop usually) while riding, but we needed a stop where there was guaranteed hot beverages and open bathrooms. Tims fit the bill given the time of year and our current situation.

Contemplated lakeshore road after coming across 2 on the way east, but one of the riders said they'd been on it a few days before and there was an insane amount of sand on it already so we went north instead up to the Ganny area and wiggled here and there coming back west.

Thinking we may get out again today.

It was a cloudy Sunday afternoon with some sunshine sprinkled in. Rode up to Wellington county today and looped back to Burlington. 70 odd kms before my feet began to freeze. :)

View attachment 46507

so rubber doesnt automatically turn into ice below 7 deg?

Just gotta watch for those grass clippings under the snow.

My driveway is a solid 1 to 2" of ice with more than 10% slope. It would not be at all fun on a bike. Sometimes I try to get it to pavement but it faces north so it is a losing battle.

Seen this setting at the southern tip of Leslie today

0974DF82-6159-4EAB-BD96-9C2DBA3D6849.jpeg

Seven hours to Escape from LA.
1610488848487.png

Locked up pretty tight here ...be glad to get to land of no masks and normal life......longest stretch to go tho...13 hours to Auckland....serious off wearing a mask for hours on end. Least I have a couple of N95 for here.

Back
Top Bottom