Who’s Still a Reasonable Option for SS | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who’s Still a Reasonable Option for SS

Just called Mitchell & Whale for a policy with a car and bike together. I was told they have no company that will insure my bike (Kawi Zx6R).

I left Aviva as well i called M&Whales and they set me up with Wawanesa..59years young with a gixxer 600 $970

May I ask which insurer ? ricktenhaaf.com indicates they deal with Desjardins. I thought they don't underwrite SSs.

They insured me through Certas for my 1098 Streetfighter which is on the SS blacklist.

Pray tell, where can we see this black list?
There is no industry wide blacklist however many insurance companies do keep their own. When I had my Busa, I could not insure it with most insurers, they either told me no outright or gave me a 'get lost' quote. I moved to TD, <$1000/year when brought my home, auto and bike policies to them.

The term they used for mine was "restricted" as if it was some kind of restricted weapon
to which I responded ya, it has way better handling suspension and brakes then most motorcycles, are you really going to hold that against me :|

I'm curious if there is any empirical evidence available in the public domain demonstrating SS motorcycles do in fact pose a greater risk over other classes of bikes.

Where are all the statistics --if any-- justifying the higher premiums and generally fewer insurance options available over other classes of motorcycles?

These so-called 'blacklists' --they certainly do exist-- seem to disproportionately and unfairly target high performance SS motorcycles without considering "rider variables". For an insurance company to say point-blank we will not insure your bike under any circumstances seems rather preemptive.

I don't know... trying to make sense of the insurance industry here in Ontario might make your head ache. It's absolutely bewildering.

Here's an old blacklist found on the Canada MotoGuide site: (circa 2010): http://canadamotoguide.com/ontario-motorcycle-insurance-blacklist-guide/ There is no real reason something like this should exist.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I'm curious if there is any empirical evidence available in the public domain demonstrating SS motorcycles do in fact pose a greater risk over other classes of bikes.

Where are all the statistics --if any-- justifying the higher premiums and generally fewer insurance options available over other classes of motorcycles?

These so-called 'blacklists' --they certainly do exist-- seem to disproportionately and unfairly target high performance SS motorcycles without considering "rider variables". For an insurance company to say point-blank we will not insure your bike under any circumstances seems rather preemptive.

I don't know... trying to make sense of the insurance industry here in Ontario might make your head ache. It's absolutely bewildering.

Here's an old blacklist found on the Canada MotoGuide site: (circa 2010): http://canadamotoguide.com/ontario-motorcycle-insurance-blacklist-guide/ There is no real reason something like this should exist.

Insurance is a business, you don't make profits willfully insuring vehicles that a modest portion of people are putting into guard rails or other vehicles.

I left the door open here, let's see who runs with it.

My opinion on the whole insurance issue is that we need more options. I think if we had a Provincial insurance option, like other Provinces. Our rates would be more competitive and privite run insurance companies would be more open to insuring products like motorcycles , just to get our other products.. e..g house , auto.
Anyway I suppose I'm one of the more fortunate here. My rates went up marginally and my bike is classified in the Supersport category for some reason. I'm with TD MM.

There is not. Insurance companies don't invest much to understand motorcycle risk -- the market is too small. They mostly use demographic information from the auto business (where they study alot) and share a lot of information.

Rates for motorcyclists generally follow rules used for automobiles. They shouldn't -- motorcycle accidents are more closely tied to rider experience than cars, and it turns out that the highest risk riders are the same demographic as the lowest risk car driver. Pricing in no way reflects this reality -- old men riding heavy cruisers 2000km a year are the ones who crash most. If you want empirical data, sign into Impact Auto once a week and count the writeoffs and look at their mileages - old man cruisers with low mileage make up an inordinate number of written off bikes.

Transparency in actuarial methods and data used to calculate risk should be made public in a regulated system -- otherwise we trust insurance companies to be honest with rates. Today they are not.

Who cares what other peoples statistics show :I been continuously insured for riding motorcycles on the road since 1971 and they know my statistics and claims total zero. Everything else they use to justify increasing my personal rates is pure conjecture.

Pricing in no way reflects this reality -- old men riding heavy cruisers 2000km a year are the ones who crash most. If you want empirical data, sign into Impact Auto once a week and count the writeoffs and look at their mileages - old man cruisers with low mileage make up an inordinate number of written off bikes.

I'm curious as I don't know but wrecked bikes (depreciated) can't be a big deal. My bet is the ones who are injured or dead are mostly younger riders.

Insurance companies care. It's sorta their "thing".
Money is their thing, they move money.
and they make a healthy profit for doing it because they collect a lot more then they spend, the government rules practically guarantee it.

Government could move your money as bad as these guys no problem :lmao:

I'm curious as I don't know but wrecked bikes (depreciated) can't be a big deal. My bet is the ones who are injured or dead are mostly younger riders.
I wouldn't count on it. In the last two years in Ontario, it seems as though every weekend there is another older cruiser rider down and or dead.
My dad is in his sixties, been riding for many years. Many of his riding buddies are his age, riding their first bike which weighs 700+pounds, they have zero acquired skill, poor reflexes and a bike that can barely get out of it's own way. Not a great recipe for success.
The other end of the spectrum isn't much better sometimes.
Last year I rode with a new rider aged 21. When I hit a corner, he always came in too fast and wound up beside me in a corner on Southwood multiple times.
Fast forward one month, kids buys a zx6r because his ninja 300 is too slow.
Less than 5 days later he wrecks it in a 50 zone on a residential street, bike is split nearly in two, he's placed in an induced coma for recovery reasons.
To this day he feels he did nothing wrong an cant understand what happened.
Nice kid but I dont ride with him anymore.
By the way, I'm 100% certain the zx6r was uninsured at the time, because you know, too expensive and I have a right to ride whatever bike I want.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

By the way, I'm 100% certain the zx6r was uninsured at the time, because you know, too expensive and I have a right to ride whatever bike I want.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

#facts

52 years old, M lisence over 30 years. No claims and Aviva just jacked my rate 52%. Who is a better demographic than me FFS?

Any companies still SS friendly at all?

Thx

Hammie

I'm with All State. Policy just came in and my Busa is $596 a year.

$596 a year is great for a BUSA! Can you provide your location since this tends to make a huge difference? I was able to get a lower rate on my bikes than I am currently paying, but they wanted too much for the cars and house. Total payout is everything for me since I have multiple vehicles but just one bank account.

...old men riding heavy cruisers 2000km a year are the ones who crash most. If you want empirical data, sign into Impact Auto once a week and count the writeoffs and look at their mileages - old man cruisers with low mileage make up an inordinate number of written off bikes.
That's an interesting revelation. a lot of the local news reports covering motorcycle incidents last season would perhaps support that theory.

A good friend of mine, a seasoned rider in his early 40's with single speeding ticket (car) on his record, is transitioning from a HD cruiser to a 1290 Super Duke this season. I couldn't be happier for him!
His premium for the HD actually went DOWN to $800/yr while going to $1400 for the Duke (through same insurance company). Initially I could tell he was a bit shocked at the increase, but not too bad all things considered when hearing of the nightmare rate increases some of us are dealing with this year.

Back
Top Bottom