Who’s Still a Reasonable Option for SS | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who’s Still a Reasonable Option for SS

FJR1300 Sport Touring is like my BMW K100RS, very stealthy with a stock exhaust, great acceleration and upright rider position,
nice full frontal fairing
that you can cover with microwave absorbing material :D

Agreed. 145HP sure is fun!!!

I'm insured by Wawanesa for my FJR1300 Sport Touring. Riding only 3 years now. Only thing I have with them. Mitchell & Whale. Perfect record for 35 years. Never had a at fault claim in that time. Ticket free for 20 years.

Interesting... When I had Aprilia Tuono V4 1000 Wawanesa insured the bike. Then I upgraded to Tuono 1100 they refused to insure it.
Also, they did not want to insure Multistrada 1200 which is clearly a sport touring bike.

I never had claims (at fault, not at fault, NON!), never had tickets, and over 40 y.o. Go figure... Why FJR1300 is acceptable and MTS 1200 not??? Stupid Canadian insurance system!

Forgot to add: Wawanesa did not even insured BMW R1200RS (also sport touring). Can anybody explain the logic? They accept much more powerful, sporty Tuono 1000 but not R1200RS!

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing the brokers information who set it up? Thanks

I'm insured by Wawanesa for my FJR1300 Sport Touring. Riding only 3 years now. Only thing I have with them. Mitchell & Whale. Perfect record for 35 years. Never had a at fault claim in that time. Ticket free for 20 years.

My broker is apparently also Mitchell & Whale. I am not the same degree of motoring angel, but I am clean within the limits of what matters to insurance

My broker is apparently also Mitchell & Whale. I am not the same degree of motoring angel, but I am clean within the limits of what matters to insurance
Thanks.

Does anyone here have any experience with Wawanesa when it comes to processing claims? Curious how good they are.

Can anybody explain the logic? They accept much more powerful, sporty Tuono 1000 but not R1200RS!

When my FZ09 was written off i went around looking for a replacement, mind you i did not look very hard as i only contacted a few company/brokers for quotes-

FZ10 - $25 more/month than my FZ09 (about $1,600/yr)
GSXS-1000 - $3k/yr
S1000R - $3k/yr
Tuono 1100 - $3k/yr

Yeah, i don't get it either lol.

ammm :Dgt a letter today for the upcoming renewal
Dalton Timmis / Northbridge
clean rec. 35 years old, license over 14 years
2015 s1000rr last year - $1396
this year - $4427 !!
WTF ??:)

Nothing says “we don’t want your bike” like that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this year - $4427 !!

Considering it is suppose to be a government regulated fee, that has to be either a typo in the bottom line price,
or price gouging. https://www.ombudsman.on.ca/home <- when do we get to call this guy in?

this year - $4427 !!

where TF is the broker on this?
they see the renewals and should be already looking for an alternative for you
would be hard to reward ******* service like that by continuing with them
I'd give M&W a call

this year - $4427 !!
Damn thats the insurance equivalent of your partner getting you to break up with them lol. Never heard of Northbridge before.

I would call Mitchel and Whale (Wawanesa), if I were you.

where TF is the broker on this?
they see the renewals and should be already looking for an alternative for you
would be hard to reward ******* service like that by continuing with them
I'd give M&W a call
DT's services are on the decline ... poor response time, misinformation, and at times hard to get in touch with a broker.

Just called Mitchell & Whale for a policy with a car and bike together. I was told they have no company that will insure my bike (Kawi Zx6R).

Just called Mitchell & Whale for a policy with a car and bike together. I was told they have no company that will insure my bike (Kawi Zx6R).
Have you been motorcycle licensed for 6 years from M2? If not, then you have two options IMO - Allstate, if you're 30+, and TD.

I'm sitting nervously waiting for my May renewal on the 09 R6... I think it's around $1300 right now, lets hope it stays that way

From the top of their web page: "Don’t let Ontario’s skyrocketing motorcycle insurance rates get you down. Have our brokers shop over 40 of Canada’s top insurers to find you an affordable rate."
If they have over 40 providers to choose from and none of them will touch the mandatory insurance for a Zx6R then the Ontario motorcycle insurance system is most certainly broken.

Try TD Melloche. I have similar demographics (although not in Brampton) and pay $775 for my 2008 Triumph Daytona. Full coverage including Collision. Key to a good rate at TD is to see if you meet any of their affinity programs. My University has an affinity program with them and it dropped my rate almost in half. Worth checking. Be careful though, their on-line quote can be horribly wrong.

Have you been motorcycle licensed for 6 years from M2? If not, then you have two options IMO - Allstate, if you're 30+, and TD.

That's exactly what I learned comparing SS quotes last month.

The system here in Ontario is on a trajectory that isn't sustainable --for years it seems.
It's interesting to note the Ford government has been in office since June 29th 2018 and to date has been silent on a strategy to address the growing issues plaguing the auto insurance industry.
I think It's a complex problem, but combating fraud, among other things, has to be a priority if we're going to have any hope of getting rates down.

What did Doug's brother Rob used to say? Let's end the gravy train.

Last edited:
52 years old, M lisence over 30 years. No claims and Aviva just jacked my rate 52%. Who is a better demographic than me FFS?

Any companies still SS friendly at all?

Thx

Hammie

I dont ride an SS but i have a 17 yamaha fz07, aviva changed everything in february and wont renew my/all policies as of february saying they wont insure anyone with less than 5 years M licence even though i have a very clean record.. i ended up getting a new company which is even cheaper than aviva was(i now pay 105 a month full coverage)

my new company is called Echelon, incase you wanted to give them a call for a quote.

I dont ride an SS but i have a 17 yamaha fz07, aviva changed everything in february and wont renew my/all policies as of february saying they wont insure anyone with less than 5 years M licence even though i have a very clean record.. i ended up getting a new company which is even cheaper than aviva was(i now pay 105 a month full coverage)

my new company is called Echelon, incase you wanted to give them a call for a quote.

I'm with Echelon, very happy with their service so far; my claim and payout for my fz09 was perfect.

However, they will not insure Super Sports.

Back
Top Bottom