which coolant do you put in the bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

which coolant do you put in the bike?

2a73a3162885e5abc31b721652c1cf25.jpg

NOS or water wetter. Ice has glycol. Slippery stuff. Beatings may occur if you ruin the track for other riders.
If it doesn't freeze can't use it on a track.

Thank you ; Blue Streak Racing, JT Sprockets, HiFlo Filters, Cycle Pro, Dyno-Jet. For your help and support.
www.cementheadracing.ca

Last edited:
I wonder why its banned on trackdays?

This has been long discussed. Engine Ice was at one time a race sponsor in the US. Engine Ice was permitted in that series. There was a serious incident after a coolant spill. Glycol coolants are no longer allowed.

[video=youtube;4VcM01L0iSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcM01L0iSQ[/video]

Engine Ice is a propylene glycol based coolant, it has all the same properties when it comes to spills and clean-up as far as tracks are concerned. So, it's banned.

However, propylene glycol coolant is an excellent choice for the street. It has all the freeze and boil protection of ethylene glycol and it less hazardous to the environment. Propylene glycol is in fact a food grade product and is used in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and some foods.

Most of the hype about Engine Ice been removed from their website. It was all marketing BS, none of which could be proven true. Propylene glycol has a slightly higher viscosity, slightly lower heat absorption rate, and slightly lower heat capacity by volume than ethylene glycol. This adds up to about a 5% penalty using propylene glycol. Not usually a problem in street use. Modifications can be made to systems to improve the Reynolds number (turbulent flow) and thereby improve coolant performance, but again, not usually needed in street use.
You will NOT see a 20 degree temperature reduction. Your thermostat controls coolant temperature. You may see a slightly elevated temperature on hot days, stopped in traffic. Nothing to worry about; elevating the coolant temperature improves heat transfer through the rad to the air.

I don't know why Engine Ice suggests replacing every year in street use, or twice a year in racing (not allowed anyway). There is little difference between Engine Ice and any of the other propylene glycol based coolants, many of which are "long life".

ended up getting a second jug of engine ice, but for some reason one looks blue and one looks purple?!

My guess would be that Engine Ice uses a "co-packer" to package their product and there are slight variations from one supplier to another. Probably not a concern.

I just put in anything that looks like what I took out

I just put in anything that looks like what I took out

You don't want a super duper cool name on fancy packaging and different far out colours that costs way more? All that flashy stuff and huge expense must be better than what has been used without issue since engines were first used, right?

You don't want a super duper cool name on fancy packaging and different far out colours that costs way more? All that flashy stuff and huge expense must be better than what has been used without issue since engines were first used, right?

I like to be diverse lol, blue coolant, green oil, yellow brake fluid :D

whats wrong with my post 5?

All I was saying was the same amount of force needed to unscrew the plugs, was the same amount of force I used to put it back in. It wasn't seized or anything. It cracked open pretty easily and so I used that same force to put it back on, figured it was close enough to 9 lbs of torque.
You can use the same logic for coolant

VFR.CBR damn thats a mess on the track.

Cool, thanks for educating me on engine ice, learn something new everyday lol

I admire your sense of humour.

As mentioned, just get something that is Al compatible. Anything but motomaster should be alright. The important feature of a coolant is not freezing/boiling & able to lubricate the water pump. Water does neither

Back
Top Bottom