which coolant do you put in the bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

which coolant do you put in the bike?

ravensix

Site Supporter
Hey guys, which coolant do we want in our bikes?

Is it distilled water + water wetter?

engine ice?

50/50 green stuff from crappy tire?

Time to do maintenance. just want to make sure I'm using the right stuff y'know??

Thanks guys

Hey guys, which coolant do we want in our bikes?

Is it distilled water + water wetter?

engine ice?

50/50 green stuff from crappy tire?

Time to do maintenance. just want to make sure I'm using the right stuff y'know??

Thanks guys

err.. did you get a User Manual for the Bike? if not, check the manufacurer's website or bike specific forums. Its usually a little more than "just water" that you should use (unless you're on a track)

no owners manual ahah, I didn't even bother searching. Just came straight here and BAM noob question fire away pew pew pew

Assume you have an R6 Raven? Engine Ice for optimum performance.

If you are going to track the bike, water wetter + distilled water.

Otherwise, mix coolant with distilled water or get a pre mix.

50/50 green stuff from crappy tire.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going with engine ice. But with engine ice, should it be drained out and filled with 50/50 green stuff for the winter?

Would it freeze or it should be fine? just taking pre cautions before next season lol

Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going with engine ice. But with engine ice, should it be drained out and filled with 50/50 green stuff for the winter?

Would it freeze or it should be fine? just taking pre cautions before next season lol

FAQ says Engine Ice is good to -26F. The shelf life is one year only. It's similar to other coolants, instead they use propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol.

PG is not toxic to EG to plants and animals. Better actual coolant? I doubt it.

Be careful about swapping, PG and EG don't mix, you have to flush.

FAQ says Engine Ice is good to -26F. The shelf life is one year only. It's similar to other coolants, instead they use propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol.

PG is not toxic to EG to plants and animals. Better actual coolant? I doubt it.

Be careful about swapping, PG and EG don't mix, you have to flush.

Cool thanks, -26f is around -32c? I wonder if it gets that cold in my garage in the winter. Shelf life is 1 year, does this mean I have to do a flush and replace every year? or does that mean if i buy a jug of it, i have to use it before 1 year or it goes bad? sorry a bit confused on the whole 1 year shelf life.

Cool thanks, -26f is around -32c? I wonder if it gets that cold in my garage in the winter. Shelf life is 1 year, does this mean I have to do a flush and replace every year? or does that mean if i buy a jug of it, i have to use it before 1 year or it goes bad? sorry a bit confused on the whole 1 year shelf life.

If it lasts one year in a sealed bottle, I'm not sure what that means in an engine. They say change it once a year, twice a year if racing (but this should not be in a bike on track days).

I'd stick to cheap boring EG.

If it lasts one year in a sealed bottle, I'm not sure what that means in an engine. They say change it once a year, twice a year if racing (but this should not be in a bike on track days).

I'd stick to cheap boring EG.

Ahh ok thanks, didn't know engine ice was such high maintenance lol I just like how its blue ahah but I guess like someone had mentioned to use motul motocool, guess I'll go with motul instead

I can see using it if you have pets and you want to be safe. The EG tastes sweet and just a little bit can kill a pet.

Engine Ice lasts over winter in the garage just fine. Any coolant change should have the system drained... It's the proper way of doing things.

It will keep your bike well away from overheating in the summer. I had issues with overheating when in bumper to bumper... Engine Ice fixed that. It runs 10 degrees cooler on my R6.

I'd prefer to use a quality product. Some people like to cheap out, very typical of motorcyclists here I've noticed lol.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/43813-engine-ice-vs-stock-coolant-test-no-airflow/

I would suggest that if a bike is overheating with recommended coolant, I'd look at what is causing the problem.

The Specific heat capacity of this stuff is 3.5% higher than normal coolant, but with 8% less conductivity.
You can certainly exceed Engine ice specs by mixing a slightly higher ratio of coolant to water.

If Engine ice really lowers temps, the problem is likely with not enough flow from the water pump.

imo I wouldn't bother with engine ice (I've done research on it before). It cost a lot more than regular coolant and can't be used for trackdays. It would make sense to pay more if track day organizers allowed you to use it (then you wouldn't have to swap between water and coolant for winter) but only some US trackdays allow it. None of our local ones do.

Last edited:
I wonder why its banned on trackdays?

Well I just got back from doing my shopping lists, ended up getting engine ice. From two different shops here.

First shop I went to, they didn't have motul motocool so I went with engine ice, than I decided to go check out some other shop near here and they had motul cool. I googled how much coolant I would need to full the rad and how stupid.. you basically need 1 and like 250ml of engine ice. So I ended up getting a second jug of engine ice, but for some reason one looks blue and one looks purple?!

Also I was looking for motul dot 4 but the places only had bel ray dot 4.

Back
Top Bottom