Which App | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which App

Neither. I normally use google maps to get a general path and then wander.
I like that, it is the essence of motorcyling!
Tho' it has nearly got me into trouble when the "reserve" light flashes and I am in the middle of nowhere.
BTW: Many years back my M2 instructor said the same thing, "just get up and go"
:)

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

I recently downloaded Eat, Sleep, Ride but haven't used it yet. Prefer Waze to be on when I'm riding for the visual icon alerts other users have pinned.

Geo Tracker. It lays down a track on a map, shows you where you've been, presents various stats. Free. No data connection required.

Google Maps or when I'm on a long trip and going through an urban area, Waze - it may save me a bunch of time taking me around a traffic disaster.

I like the ability to simply and easily set a waypointed route on Google Maps, so when I'm looking for new and interesting roads to take I just turn on satellite mode, plot my end point, and then add waypoints along the route to get to the new roads.

Waze is way more clunky for waypoints but serves a completely different purpose for long "just gotta get there" rides where time is more important than the route or the scenery.

I use Tyre. There is a paid version, but I use the free one. No issues so far, fairly good features. Only downside to most of these mapping/route making apps is that you need an internet connection or cell service. If you are staying in the boonies somewhere you might be high and dry if you want to initiate or modify a route. If you're creating/editing routes from home base then no issue.

Used to use MS Streets and Trip, but it is no longer supported by MS, although you can still get a 2013 version on Amazon for <$20. Has standalone maps and with a laptop you can create routes anywhere.

Reactions: J_F
Scenic for iPhone but will be available for Android is hands down the best for creating routes. It is a free download but you do pay for features like offline maps.

You can purchase an annual or lifetime subscription.

They have just released scenic 2. Try it for free.

I use Tyre.

me too

start the rough planning with google maps
figure out daily estimated mileage and overnight points
taking into consideration accommodations needs

once that looks pretty good I put the waypoints into Tyre
let it crunch the route, then USB that into the TomTom

can make changes on the go with the phone bluetoothed to the TomTom
as long as I'm within a reasonable distance to the bike - like at a lunch stop
can add in gas stops, route changes, end of day changes etc

it's a bit of work, but well worth it on a multi-day trip when you want to get some miles on

@Jayell what does the icon for that app look like?..I went to Google Play store and saw a couple of them...and it works offline, no data required?

@Jayell what does the icon for that app look like?..I went to Google Play store and saw a couple of them...and it works offline, no data required?
3041d5290089784b8eb2a3e89a1c38ca.jpg

If you're looking for trip planning, Furkot is the hands down winner. The learning curve is brutal however, but once you learn it you'll never want to use anything else because of how powerful it is.

As for Navigation, regarding the online/offline thing, Google Maps can be setup to run offline - it has a little known feature on the app that lets you select geographic areas and download them for offline use.

I used InRoute. Reasons I like it vs other apps:

- you can buy the app, rather than do a subscription and it allows you 25 way points per map. (Vs 100 with the subscription)
- it cross references your route with the forecasted temperature and precipitation, so you know in advance whether you’re headed into rain or hot/cold weather
- it can plot your route between waypoints based on curves for motorcycles, speed, less wind, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eat Sleep Ride and Rever are complete waste of time apps, unless you are into the social aspect and where the bike friendly (bar) stops are.

Neither have proper planning functions but are good at tracking so you can post routes for others.

The last time I checked, very little activity in Canada.

QUOTE="LBV, post: 2638547, member: 45728"]
I recently downloaded Eat, Sleep, Ride but haven't used it yet. Prefer Waze to be on when I'm riding for the visual icon alerts other users have pinned.
[/QUOTE]

I concur ESR is useless. Deleted it inside a week after wondering what I was even doing trying to use it.

I'm going to give Inroute a try - thanks Caremel - sounds interesting.

I'm finding the same re: ESR. Not much other than track the ride you just did. It can save for later if you want to recall where you went. Good for that I suppose but I'm sure others do the same.

Surprised people are still using Tyre. It has been out of date for a while and superseded by RouteLab, which is free and uses openmaps, but is another online tool.

I use Google Maps on the desktop and phone. I find it is more update then others and the display of the map details is just enough not to be over detailed or under detailed. Plus streetview is great.
Also use and dread Basecamp because I have a Garmin GPS so I use it to create routes, trips, and load it in. But as mentioned use RouteLab which is simpler and works like Googlemaps and can export to GPX file and copy over.

On the phone I also use Maps.Me for offline maps when I am out of my cell service ares (quite often with Freedom Mobile).
You can download offline maps on Google Maps but they are temporary and you have to select the area, Maps.Me you get download the whole city area, province, country etc.

Otherwise a hand note on the tank is great as well. I started using this method on my last long trip and was perfect.

I use Kurvinger and like it a lot.

I've tried quite a few of them but settled on this one. There is a free version as well as paid, I opted to pay once I tried it out. It gets regularly updated which is nice. The reason I like it more than the others (which kinda all do the same thing) is that it handles tracks nicely, and if you're not in the mood to plan a ride you just tell it then end location and it will scan the route on the way and find curvy roads on the way there and detour you if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom