Where to by decent sockets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to by decent sockets

sburns

Hey guys is there a tool supplier something in between PA & Crappy Tire, and say Mactools and Snap On?

I'm in need of a Torx T-70 socket bit. I just have this feeling that I could find something at PA & CT but it won't be very durable or fit well (I hate torx). But at the same time don't want to spend a fourtune on a bit with the big boys. Is there something in between? A store of some sort I can walk into a get the bit would be best.

Hey guys is there a tool supplier something in between PA & Crappy Tire, and say Mactools and Snap On?

I'm in need of a Torx T-70 socket bit. I just have this feeling that I could find something at PA & CT but it won't be very durable or fit well (I hate torx). But at the same time don't want to spend a fourtune on a bit with the big boys. Is there something in between? A store of some sort I can walk into a get the bit would be best.
A one off good quality bit may cost you almost as much as a set from PA and CT. That being said, tool supply stores will have Jet, proto or Gray tools that should fit your requirement.

A one off good quality bit may cost you almost as much as a set from PA and CT. That being said, tool supply stores will have Jet, proto or Gray tools that should fit your requirement.
Well I guess it will come down to price, but would like to see the options.
CT's Maximum line has served me well for the price (on sale) as a non-professional home mechanic.
So far they have been ok for my home-mechanic jobs. But I always find the torx bits don't fit to well. But see above...we'll see.

Well I guess it will come down to price, but would like to see the options.

So far they have been ok for my home-mechanic jobs. But I always find the torx bits don't fit to well. But see above...we'll see.

I have an older version of this set if you wanted to borrow the 1/2" T70 impact to try out:

1656991192151.png

I have an older version of this set if you wanted to borrow the 1/2" T70 impact to try out:

View attachment 56221
Thanks for the offer. I haven't even gone out to he garage yet to see what I have (getting my mental prep done). Pretty sure I don't have the T70. There is another socket I also need to check on, non torx, which will be used for this work. I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. I haven't even gone out to he garage yet to see what I have (getting my mental prep done). Pretty sure I don't have the T70. There is another socket I also need to check on, non torx, which will be used for this work. I'll get back to you.

Pretty sure you’re in my area. If you need to borrow anything let me know. If I have it you can use it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I hate cheap tools and will often splurge for good quality stuff. I want my tools to last and work properly every time I go to use them.
You can check out any of the industrial suppliers near your area or specialty tools places.
Atlas Tools & Machinery (Etobicoke)
Mississauga Hardware (Mississauga)
Markham Industrial & Trade Supplies Ltd (Markham)
Tegs Tools (Hamilton)

Brafasco has tools for sure. However stock may be limited depending on the location as tools is not their main product offering.

I have always has good luck with German tools. (Wera, Knipex, Wiha etc). As for good Hex/Allan/Torx keys, Bondhus out of USA is great quality and a lot of the tool stores will carry them (not CT or PA). You can also check on Amazon.

Might want to have a look at Amazon. If you scan through the endless listings of Chinese products, you can sometimes find a decent brand - what am I talking about, they're all Chinese product regardless of the brand.

My deceased father who worked for the TTC as a maintenance guy used to sneak tools home in his lunch box. He knew they didn't go cheap on purchases. I still have some of the tools and they are in good shape but no metric versions however.

If you can source out the supplier to some of the big companies ie: Metrolinx, Automotive Shops, etc. you may do well.

I have a set of PA Torx that I bought a few years ago, think I paid $30, they have been fine.I don't buy any PA tools I plan to use They have held up fine and they have the security hole which has come in handy a couple of times.

For sizes T40 and smaller, I have a set of 6" Bosch bits that fit into my cordless impact driver - they are good from T15 to T40 - love them.

I find PA tools are OK if you're using them occassionally AND they don't require a lot of torque. I'd never again buy anything that will need 100+ foot-pounds of torque - I have a few one-and-done PA souvenirs (impact sockets, flex adapters, johnson bar, wheel stud removers, bench vice) I keep in my toolbox as reminders.

I have a set of PA Torx that I bought a few years ago, think I paid $30, they have been fine.I don't buy any PA tools I plan to use They have held up fine and they have the security hole which has come in handy a couple of times.

For sizes T40 and smaller, I have a set of 6" Bosch bits that fit into my cordless impact driver - they are good from T15 to T40 - love them.

I find PA tools are OK if you're using them occassionally AND they don't require a lot of torque. I'd never again buy anything that will need 100+ foot-pounds of torque - I have a few one-and-done PA souvenirs (impact sockets, flex adapters, johnson bar, wheel stud removers, bench vice) I keep in my toolbox as reminders.
Yes the famous tool shaped metal objects that they sell at princess Auto. I bought a set of allen keys there that might as well have been made of cheese so now I have avoided their tools usually. Usually mastercraft maximum are actually pretty good and good enough for most jobs.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If it doesn't feel like it fits right with a torx, you are probably using the wrong one. Try the next size up and make sure the inset is clean.
Torx is actually a better design from the engineering standpoint.

Last edited:
If it doesn't feel like it fits right with a torx, you are probably using the wrong one. Try the next size up and make sure the inset is clean.
Torx is actually a better design from the engineering standpoint.
It's the go to screw type in Europe.

USA also uses a lot of Torx. Even for construction. They probably don't even know what a "Robbie" is.

Ok guys - don't laugh.
I went out today to look for the T-70 bit. But I forgot to check the garage first.
Anyhow CT only has it in a set.
Brofasco - nothing.
PA - Didn't bother with
Home Depot - last resort - nothing.
Get home - I have a T-70 as part of a Torx set I bought. :rolleyes: 🤦‍♂️
But I also needed a 1 3/16 socket - which turns out I don't have .... back I go out tomorrow.. (this should be easy enough to find, right)

I wouldn't laugh, I would be jealous. Usually you have to actually buy the thing to find the thing you already owned

Back
Top Bottom