Where Is The Used Motorcycle Market? I Can't Find It | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where Is The Used Motorcycle Market? I Can't Find It

Pegassus

Site Supporter
You just can't find a normally priced motorcycle in Toronto nowadays. I want to buy me a fun bike, I went to browse the GTAM buy/sell classifieds forum but I just see is junk such as R6's from 2002 and bike models I never heard off from the late 1990's. Where are the 3-year old trykes? The Can-Am's? Where are the 3-year-old FZ-07's? Where are the newer used dual-sports? It seems this is the way the selling market is in Toronto, be it Buy/Sell and Kijjiji. Do I really have to wait for months until the motorcycle brick n' mortar shops open to buy a decent used bike?

If there are any sellers reading this thread, get this through your heads, nobody cares if that old bike of yours was the one you met your wife with or the one your father bought you before he died, I don't care what rubbish emotional strings you attach to it, I'm going to pay you used market rates and I will apply depreciation to the fullest extent.

Last edited:
lots on kijiji
sellers haven't accepted that there is almost no demand ATM
asking prices still high

The bikes you want are the ones owners cling to, the popular bikes(mt 07, dual sports) owners would want more for, or be reluctant to sell

my neighbor just sold a 2011 klr 650 with 30,000k's for 3000, had every upgrade on you can possible get, if i didn't already have the same bike i would have bought it

The motorcycle brick and mortars are allowed to open sales and service ‘by appointment only’.

Sturgess Cycle sent out an email on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The motorcycle brick and mortars are allowed to open sales and service ‘by appointment only’.

Sturgess Cycle sent out an email on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be a bummer if half their appointments end up being tire kickers if the buyer can't get the deal he was looking for.

Patience, grasshopper...there will be delay of many months for the upcoming DEPRESSION to hit the TOY market...today we are officially in a severe recession with 13% unemployment, a drop in GDP of over 8% (the worst in history) and a sudden annual deficit of 250-400 BILLION...what they don't want to tell you on the news is the fact that many economists are estimating that 1 in 3 small businesses will NOT reopen, 100s of large corporations will be seeking creditor protection (several have already filed) and the resultant unemployment will take some time to improve above 10%....late 2020 into 2021 will make the 08/09 collapse look like a sale at Walmart. The first thing that will go will be the toys...biggest issue will be ratio of units for sale where debt owing far exceeds value of the asset. Next will be more personal bankruptcies in North America than ever seen in history.

Very glad I sold my 2018 Goldwing in Sept and my 2017 Arctic Cat in Feb....now to watch the C8 market into 2021...cash in hand is sweet

Last edited:
^^^^^
Scary times ahead.
Not to hijack the thread but why would anyone one intentionally want any of what you just mentioned. I am referring to some of the conspiracy theories out the about the intentional covid virus.

Patience, grasshopper...there will be delay of many months for the upcoming DEPRESSION to hit the TOY market...today we are officially in a severe recession with 13% unemployment, a drop in GDP of over 8% (the worst in history) and a sudden annual deficit of 250-400 BILLION...what they don't want to tell you on the news is the fact that many economists are estimating that 1 in 3 small businesses will NOT reopen, 100s of large corporations will be seeking creditor protection (several have already filed) and the resultant unemployment will take some time to improve above 10%....late 2020 into 2021 will make the 08/09 collapse look like a sale at Walmart. The first thing that will go will be the toys...biggest issue will be ratio of units for sale where debt owing far exceeds value of the asset. Next will be more personal bankruptcies in North America than ever seen in history.

Very glad I sold my 2018 Goldwing in Sept and my 2017 Arctic Cat in Feb....now to watch the C8 market into 2021...cash in hand is sweet
I've got a friend who isn't getting hit that hard financially by the pandemic that wants to get a bike and just told him to wait cuz a lot of people gonna be putting up their bikes for sale soon. Pretty much for all the reasons you stated. Gonna be a great time to buy later if you come out of the pandemic with comfortable finances.

Service Ontario is closed. Can't change ownership. Can't get license plate.

Some are open. Daughters BF switched a car into his name Friday in St. Catherines. Got the infamous invisible blue licence plates as well, FWIW.

I'm not sure I fully subscribe to the level of doom and gloom that some are predicting with all this as there's no past precedent ever for what's happened so far, and how it's happened....where the economy was just buzzing along and suddenly the switch was turned off. Nobody knows what will happen in the months ahead when it's slowly switched back on. Will be be business as normal again in 2, 3, 6...12 months? Nope. But will we be in a severe depression with 20% unemployment and endless poverty like some are prognosticating? Doubt it.

But there will be effects and I will agree that the recreational toy market will be taking a hit. People will refocus on the really important things in their lives and toys will fall to a lower rung on the priority scale.

I have a bike listed on Kijiji now, I've been using kijiji for over 12 yrs and always sold things within a week. The last bike I sold was gone in 3 days, and the seller paid more than my asking due to the demand and no bike in such a condition available, actually never seen one since myself and regret that one.

Now, it's been over a week and some interest here and there, though people just asking questions then saying they will wait, for better weather, service centres to open, whatever. I've ordered the UVIP online to make things easier, and even got a mechanic to sell the bike certified. Still no solid leads on a buyer. In the next week or 2 I may just drop the price a lot and cut my losses a lot more than I imagined, since the new bike i bought is supposed to be here in the next 2 weeks. If it doesn't sell, I may just store it and wait or trade it in and call it a day :(

Not to hyjack
But I was terrified at the start thinking my renovation business can’t handle this.
I was ready to list all the toys. Now I’m more worried about the work load I’m going to have when I get back to work. My summer is already booked. I have a bathroom reno booked as soon as her kids go back to school and hubby goes back to the office. Some of these clients work in financial services. I would have to think you’d be pretty sure the economy will bounce back before dropping $40,000 on a bathroom that’s only 10 years old and in no “need“ of a renovation. But hey who am I to judge.

Not to hyjack
But I was terrified at the start thinking my renovation business can’t handle this.
I was ready to list all the toys. Now I’m more worried about the work load I’m going to have when I get back to work. My summer is already booked. I have a bathroom reno booked as soon as her kids go back to school and hubby goes back to the office. Some of these clients work in financial services. I would have to think you’d be pretty sure the economy will bounce back before dropping $40,000 on a bathroom that’s only 10 years old and in no “need“ of a renovation. But hey who am I to judge.

This is what I was alluding to above. We don't know how we're going to come out of this since we've never gone through this sort of scenario before. But I have a sneaky suspicion we will come out of it better and faster than some think.

Not everyone will come out unscathed, but I'm staying positive at this point.

This is what I was alluding to above. We don't know how we're going to come out of this since we've never gone through this sort of scenario before. But I have a sneaky suspicion we will come out of it better and faster than some think.

Very true, also like @Clutt-225 mentioned, my dad is a contractor as-well and people have been pressuring him to start work, though with some suppliers closed and even just going to Home Depot being a chore, he chose to book later. My mum's a florist, and she said in her decades of being in the floral industry, she's never seen so many orders for mothers day, was closing close to 200 arrangements a day. Lots of people resorted to support local flower shops vs getting something online and not getting it on time.

Being laid off myself, and in the tradeshow industry, I'm less optimistic, and now just finding ways to keep my sanity, aka motorcycles ?

I too think that things will bounce back to the "normal state" far quicker than they are anticipating.

The people who are careless and not smart with their money were probably already having a hard time keeping up with the Jones' but they kept on trying to be just like them. I don't think a pandemic will stop them.

There are people that must have the latest and all the toys regardless if they need or can afford them. It is a bad habit that is hard to shake off.

I am not a conspiracy theorist or doom and gloomer, but..after a 25 year career in Banking through every major financial crises since 1990...well I have 2 very close friends who are "Savants" in the business.. They are the 2 smartest, financially rational people I have every met, with incredible insight and instincts...they are both very very nervous.

To put in perspective..picture in your mind dozens of major industries needing a bailout..all at once..Auto, Transportation (rail etc) Retail, Airlines, Hospitality and Tourism, Oil, Agriculture, etc etc..everything is rosy for the middle class right now (for the short term only) as many of us still have paychecks and the Feds have printed up and handed out over $300 Billion in Cdn monopoly $ in 8 weeks. They could not even begin to give an accurate account of the total amount of spending since March because they would be afraid to publicly announce it. Our federal debt in March 2019 was $789 Billion...By March 2021 it will be close to 1.5 Trillion...like everything else, unprecedented.

The point simply is that all of the short term support that the US and Cdn Feds have been implementing since March is just buying time.

"Of the 125 restaurant or retail companies tracked by S&P Global Ratings, about 30% now have a credit rating that indicates they have at least a 1-in-2 chance of defaulting on their debts, which is often a precursor of bankruptcy or liquidation. "

"Ford issues $8 billion debt securities after virus causes $2 billion loss. ... Ford on Friday said it had to put up additional guarantees for earlier loans - not the notes sold Friday - because it has not maintained an investment-grade status. It has suspended its dividend for the quarter. "

Last edited:
I too think that things will bounce back to the "normal state" far quicker than they are anticipating.

The people who are careless and not smart with their money were probably already having a hard time keeping up with the Jones' but they kept on trying to be just like them. I don't think a pandemic will stop them.

There are people that must have the latest and all the toys regardless if they need or can afford them. It is a bad habit that is hard to shake off.

This is the key point.

"The people who are careless and not smart with their money were probably already having a hard time keeping up with the Jones' but they kept on trying to be just like them. I don't think a pandemic will stop them."

This is the MAJORITY, not the Minority

Back
Top Bottom