Where do you guys get engine oil change parts here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where do you guys get engine oil change parts here?

Amazon wants $130 for a Ninja 300 oil change kit (3 bottles, filter, and crush washer. I think I can have someone else change the oil for less than that.

Is there somewhere cheaper we can get the oil and filters? Do you guys use OEM only or are generics decent enough?

I'm a complete noob at this.

Amazon wants $130 for a Ninja 300 oil change kit (3 bottles, filter, and crush washer. I think I can have someone else change the oil for less than that.

Is there somewhere cheaper we can get the oil and filters? Do you guys use OEM only or are generics decent enough?

I'm a complete noob at this.
I buy my filters on Amazon and my oil at Royal distributing. High flow makes a decent filter and there's lots of other ones that will fit a ninja 300
Actually as mentioned above fortnite's a great option too
Sent from the future

For me, it is "filter" from the dealer (am not sure if the after-market filter flow rate and filter spec is the same as OEM) and oil from GP Bikes or Royal Distributing and just maybe CT.

* OEM vs after-market
None of the bike manufacturers actually make filters, they provide the specs and sub-contract the actual making to the filter manufacturers.
In my case I have seen the difference between the OEM and after-market OEM equivalent filter, that goes on my bike.

Edit:
OEM or after-market, either of the oil filters will work.
(MM, you are correct in your opinion )

As stated above, I have cut open the OEM and the after-market equivalent and there were differences in the construction.
Were these differences critical to the function of the filter?
Probably not.
As with any choice in life, the option is yours.

Last edited:
You need 2.2l of oil, you'll need 1l/1q containers. It should meet any of these specs: API SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM with JASO MA, MA1 or MA2. A simpler solution is to buy oil marked for 4-stroke motorcycles, or the Rotella brand - just don't use conventional car oil as it has stuff that messes with clutches. It can be synthetic, semi-synthetic or conventional. The winter viscosity should be 0W to 10W, the summer 40 or 50. Most common is 10W40. You can debate synthetic with others -- synthetic it's not a factory requirement for a Ninja 300.

The OE filter is a Hiflow 303 (or Kawi PN 16097-0008). There are lots of alternatives, find them here: Oil filter cross reference

The crush washer is 12mmx22mm. I changed the oil a dozen times on my Ninja, used the same original crush washer every time. Your mileage may vary.

All this stuff is available at Canadian Tire or any motorcycle shop, you should be around $10 bucks for a filter and $10-20/l for oil (depending on your taste). Add another $2 for a crush washer if you wish.

I buy my oil filter at Canadian Tire and some oils there to. I have 2 close by and less expensive then HD. 🤷‍♂️
It's a Fram filter BTW.

I buy my oil filter at Canadian Tire and some oils there to. I have 2 close by and less expensive then HD. 🤷‍♂️
It's a Fram filter BTW.
Ive seen more people get flamed over buying Fram than for buying Vstroms!

All I've ever used in 50 years of changing filters (anyone recall pay me now or pay me later) . A few hundred filters, never had an oil-related failure on an engine. Longest lasting: Audi 90, went 600,000KM before the suspension repairs meant scrapping the car.

You need 2.2l of oil, you'll need 1l/1q containers. It should meet any of these specs: API SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM with JASO MA, MA1 or MA2. A simpler solution is to buy oil marked for 4-stroke motorcycles, or the Rotella brand - just don't use conventional car oil as it has stuff that messes with clutches. It can be synthetic, semi-synthetic or conventional. The winter viscosity should be 0W to 10W, the summer 40 or 50. Most common is 10W40. You can debate synthetic with others -- synthetic it's not a factory requirement for a Ninja 300.

The OE filter is a Hiflow 303 (or Kawi PN 16097-0008). There are lots of alternatives, find them here: Oil filter cross reference

The crush washer is 12mmx22mm. I changed the oil a dozen times on my Ninja, used the same original crush washer every time. Your mileage may vary.

All this stuff is available at Canadian Tire or any motorcycle shop, you should be around $10 bucks for a filter and $10-20/l for oil (depending on your taste). Add another $2 for a crush washer if you wish.
Thanks! You are a legend :D

Last time I bought oil I got it from Royal Distributing. They had a pretty good deal on Motul 300V so I picked up a few oil changes worth.

Unrelated but I used to buy oil change kits (the two rubber o-rings, the two drain plug crush washers, and the filter) for the DRZ off of thumpertalk, but now the store has closed down since they got bought out and I cant seem to find any place that sells a complete kit any more. Now I'll have to go the a dealer and interact with other people *shudders*

Dealer is 3kms from my house , I just go there . It’s the right oil , filter ect . For the number of changes I go through in a season it’s fine for me

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Whats the going rate for a deal oil change?
Normal good quality motorcycle specific mineral oil (not semi or full synthetic) will usually run around $14/litre, and an oil filter somewhere around $12, a crush washer $2 and labour (which often includes a full general inspection - tire pressures, oil disposal, etc.) will run around half an hour - say $60-70.
That means for your machine it would likely be around $110-120 before HST.
You keep saying 'deal' - there's no such thing unless you are prepared to do it yourself. Reputable bike shops aren't Minute Lube.

i guess oil prices have gone up recently? I usually use motul 7100 in both my ducati and royal enfield. its usually like 80-90$ for 4 litres. now its like 109$ (even on fortnine which usually has competitive/lower prices) wtf!

I'm not sure where you are but a place at the NE corner of Alness & Supertest (about halfway between Steeles & Finch, W of Dufferin) called Triple Clamp Moto is where I get my Liqui Moly oil and filters.

I'm not sure where you are but a place at the NE corner of Alness & Supertest (about halfway between Steeles & Finch, W of Dufferin) called Triple Clamp Moto is where I get my Liqui Moly oil and filters.

Cool, never heard of them before. They had me at "We ride and make products for the KTM 950 Super Enduro and other alpha dogs."

Wix XP filter from Amazon (it doesn't get any better than Wix, a quality filter is money well spent, almost all Fram's are garbage!) and Rotella T6 from whoever has it on sale the cheapest at the point I need it.

Then the old oil sits in my garage under my workbench for about 5 years until I realize I've got about 200L of the **** in a crap ton of jugs and and few 20L pails, load it all into the car, and take it up to the transfer station for disposal.

As for Fram...this is why you don't use Frams. Cardboard and basically a garbage drainback that means your engine is potentially starting dry every time depending on the orientation of your filter.

Last edited:
Wix XP filter from Amazon (it doesn't get any better than Wix, a quality filter is money well spent, almost all Fram's are garbage!) and Rotella T6 from whoever has it on sale the cheapest at the point I need it.

Then the old oil sits in my garage under my workbench for about 5 years until I realize I've got about 200L of the **** in a crap ton of jugs and and few 20L pails, load it all into the car, and take it up to the transfer station for disposal.

As for Fram...this is why you don't use Frams. Cardboard and basically a garbage drainback that means your engine is potentially starting dry every time depending on the orientation of your filter.

It really shows how effective advertising is.
Years ago I thought that Fram was pretty much as good as it got.
Now, after reading and watching independent testing, it seems it is the exact opposite. They almost always fall in the 'do not use' category.

HiFlo makes the filters for K&N and Champion (and likely some OEMs as well). I've never had an issue with them.

Back
Top Bottom