Where can I buy racing fuel in the GTA? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where can I buy racing fuel in the GTA?

add: if it does not use lead to enhance the octane rating to 100 or above, then it will be using ethanol.

Err NO
Ethanol is an oxidizing agent
Lead adds specific gravity which slows the flame front, sorta diminishing the octane rating.

OCTANE doesn't mean what I think you think it means.

ProRace Fuels M4 has NO ethanol, no lead and an octane reading around 113

You are correct, I should have said oxygenated which I'm pretty sure relates to some form of alcohol and octane is not really a correct term either but it is the one most people refer to when they try to relate it to the way high test fuel has been marketed in the past. What fuel are we recommending for his application and what toxic nasty's are contained in it?

I know for my bikes, I will be shopping for non-leaded 95+ and a maximum E10 is recommended.

Oh and btw, he is using this in a 2-stroke which requires the addition of oil which once again reduces the fuel rating.

Last edited:
We got ethanol because California banned MTBE, which is an oxidizing agent that was added to fuel. It's job was to bring more bound oxygen to the combustion chamber, much like nitrous oxide, resulting in a cleaner burn.
Canada banned MTBE a couple of years later.
Gas companies went looking for another CHEAP oxygenating agent, and found ethanol.

Key word in Trial's post is: MARKETED.
The VAST majority of claims by oil and gas companies is MARKETING. Madison Avenue BS.
Smoky Yanick said we can run 11.5/1 on regular pump gas. I'll believe Smoky over any gas company.

... and until you get stupid, two strokes LIKE oil, by which I mean the difference in power output of a motor running 50:1 is more or less the same as the same motor running 24:1. The difference is negligible.
I have NEVER blown up a two stroke with TOO much oil. I usually run bean oil at about 24:1. YES, I could run less oil, I know that, but most of my two strokes are old GP bikes, with VERY expensive and hard to get parts... so run lots of $36/litre bean oil. Cheap insurance.
... and NOTHING, no matter what the ads tell you, NOTHING is as good as bean oil... and it smells nice. The hotter it gets the better it lubes. When it get hot enough the high end synth oil is burnt offerings, jamming the rings, bean oil is still happy

Pro Racing Fuel Mississauga.

I was there for the take down, In Mississauga. I swear they were raided by a SWAT team taking no prisoners and that was at least 20 years ago

For an engine built with a smidge too much compression, I have had good luck with an additive called "Hi-Per Fuel", which was obtained at Canadian Tire. It is MMT, which is another octane-boosting additive that took the place of tetraethyl lead. Beware of regular octane boosters that claim to add (lets say) "3 points" of octane ... i.e. 0 point 3 i.e. diddly squat. This stuff adds up to 7 "numbers" of octane, i.e. 87 to 94 (or 94 to who knows what). Caution, the real stuff is not cheap. Caution, the real stuff eats paint. It's probably not great for catalytic converters (not as bad as lead), but the catalyst in the bike that I've been using this in, is shot anyhow.

On the instructions for the bottle, you're supposed to use the whole bottle at once. That's way too much for a motorcycle tank. Reason they say this: MMT is sensitive to light. A couple minutes of exposure to light will degrade it. I've been opening the bottle quick and dumping in a splash then closing it up quick ... so far so good.

One of this winter's minor projects was to fiddle with the mountings for the crank sensor to take 3 degrees of ignition timing out of that engine, so that hopefully I don't have to use that stuff any more. We'll see. I was only getting audible detonation when accelerating through 5000 - 7000 rpm in the higher gears near full throttle.

Try Shellbourne Fuels, email John, shellbourne@sympatico.ca and tell him your bike and engine modifications, or if it's stock. What you do with it, race, trail ride or whatever and then he will custom make the fuel for you at those specifications. I have used his fuel and oil for my modern 2 stroke GP bikes, vintage race bikes and R1 track bike. No issues and they all pulled like a clydesdale, even the 2 strokes. The one thing that is cool is I have bought fuel from him that was made the day before, super fresh race fuel. He is based out of Smiths Falls near Ottawa and makes deliveries all the time to the city. His pricing is usually competitive if not cheaper then VP.

meanwhile in Florida

h1o7F53.png

Back
Top Bottom