When did pick up trucks turn into cars? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did pick up trucks turn into cars?

I asked a dealer a while ago - they get next to no demand for short cab, long box trucks and its a 4 month wait for a build-to-order.
Contractors buy vans.
Yep! Keeps the water off the drywall.

Reactions: TK4
That experience mirrors mine in the toyota/honda camp. "We are the best. we sell at full price. Why would you even consider cross-shopping other brands". We were looking at a rav4 that was easily 5 years behind the competition and they refused to budge at all so we walked and have never been back.

That's how they weed out all the riff raff. Cheap customers looking for a bargain are a nightmare to deal with.

A brand should sell its self based on its merit. There is a reason why civics, crv, accord, Camry, Rav 's are all sales leaders in their class..

That's how they weed out all the riff raff. Cheap customers looking for a bargain are a nightmare to deal with.

A brand should sell its self based on its merit. There is a reason why civics, crv, accord, Camry, Rav 's are all sales leaders in their class..
For the rav4 I was looking at and a civic at another time they were not class leaders. They were clearly at the pack of the pack but maintained the belief that they were the best. Those particular generations were bought by people that looked nowhere else.

That experience mirrors mine in the toyota/honda camp. "We are the best. we sell at full price. Why would you even consider cross-shopping other brands". We were looking at a rav4 that was easily 5 years behind the competition and they refused to budge at all so we walked and have never been back.
Toyota has a policy to never offer heavy discounts on new vehicles, partly because one of their selling features is maintaining resale. Nothing kills resale more than deep discounts on new vehicles.

Honda less so, but more than the domestics. Margins on new vehicles are incredibly slim, so unless the factory is doing incentives etc, the dealership isn't going to have much room to move...

Maybe not the norm, but last year when we shopped new vans, Honda gave us a healthy ($2500ish) discount right away when we asked for pricing. Dodge in comparison said they have a national discount on and the price is the price. Didn't see much discount as the Caravan in similar trim to the Odyssey was actually a few thou more expensive. Figured that was a mistake and Dodge said nope it's correct and they didn't want to budge any so easy decision to buy the Honda.

Toyota has a policy to never offer heavy discounts on new vehicles, partly because one of their selling features is maintaining resale. Nothing kills resale more than deep discounts on new vehicles.

Honda less so, but more than the domestics. Margins on new vehicles are incredibly slim, so unless the factory is doing incentives etc, the dealership isn't going to have much room to move...
Fair enough. In my case both honda and toyota said msrp. No movement at all. Their msrp was higher than their competition, mileage was worse, power was lower, features were less, utility was lower. The only compelling reason to buy was possibly longevity but that didnt offset them losing in every other column.

Fair enough. In my case both honda and toyota said msrp. No movement at all. Their msrp was higher than their competition, mileage was worse, power was lower, features were less, utility was lower. The only compelling reason to buy was possibly longevity but that didnt offset them losing in every other column.

Sometimes competitors look good "on paper" spec wise.

With the Japanese brands you tend to get better engineered cars, better fit and finish, superior driving dynamics, better reliability.

Can't always see that from a spec sheet

Sometimes competitors look good "on paper" spec wise.

With the Japanese brands you tend to get better engineered cars, better fit and finish, superior driving dynamics, better reliability.

Can't always see that from a spec sheet
Drove them all. Wanted to like them. Those particular vehicles at the time I was looking were duds. Maybe at the beginning of their cycle I would have felt differently.

A run-of-the-mill Honda or Toyota hasn't been anything special for a long time.

Compared to a Cruze? A Malibu? A focus? Fusion?

Those models were so "special" people kept buying them?

Incredibly. Cars like the CR-V and the Civic are nearing the end of their model cycle with redesigned models due soon and they are STILL top sellers in their category,. Without crazy incentives.

Last edited:
A run-of-the-mill Honda or Toyota hasn't been anything special for a long time.
Depends on the model and where it sits in the refresh cycle. When I bought my Accord in 2016, it was well ahead of the competition for comfort, power and features. I tried the Fusion (decent but missing features, fast one was too expensive for what it was), Mazda6 (great looking, but no V6 and the i4 was anemic, terrible sight lines), Altima (huge and awful, particularly the CVT), and Sonata (definitely the closest). The Accord was noticeably nicer on the interior, too, approaching luxury levels of fit and finish.

Similar when we bought our Civic whenever the latest gen first came out. The sedan is built in Ontario, so was almost impossible to beat on value. We subsequently traded it for a CR-V, as my wife wanted more rear space. The Civic hatchback was so much more expensive it wasn't so appealing despite being a great little car. At the time we bought, Honda included safety features in all models that were only partly included in the top end models of the competition as well.

Honda tends to be more cutting-edge, tech wise, where Toyota is the opposite. Their vehicles are rarely tops in any particular feature, but that's partly because they stick with proven systems over updates. Instead, you get reliability and solid resale. (The main reason we didn't even look at them when we were shopping was their lack of Android Auto / Apple Car Play support. I'm assuming they've since caved to demand on that front, but they and Lexus held onto the upgrade head unit cash cow longer than anyone else.)

Whether the premium they both charge is worth it over the competition, I don't know. For us and our timing, it definitely was. That doesn't always line up, though. For example, I love the Ridgeline, but the cost premium doesn't make sense over a traditional truck for me...

That may be true but if it costs much more than it's domestic competition, there is no compelling reason to buy it. At close to even money, I agree.

The ridge doesn't come anywhere near the 80 to 100g price tags for some of those trucks

Incredibly. Cars like the CR-V and the Civic are nearing the end of their model cycle with redesigned models due soon and they are STILL top sellers in their category,. Without crazy incentives.

It’s worth noting that sales numbers don’t indicate the best product or best value etc.
Plenty of substandard products sell well for a multitude of reasons.

Sales do indicate the business model is working so you can respect that part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

It’s worth noting that sales numbers don’t indicate the best product or best value etc.
Plenty of substandard products sell well for a multitude of reasons.

Sales do indicate the business model is working so you can respect that part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I'm a firm believer in the "market speaks". Today's car consumer is far more educated than ever.

Many of them walk into the dealership with more knowledge than the salesperson.

Many have commented that Toyota and Honda are overpriced with little incentives, yet they still sell incredibly well despite aged models in some cases.

Substandard product? Not in this case...

I bought my first truck 2 years ago and I can't look back. I use it for everything, and it hauls a family of 5 around nicely. I have the 2.7 eco boost and get about 1100km to a tank for daily use. Not to mention the real reason I bought it...
View attachment 47868
I love the 2.7 motor. I've had the 5.0, the 3.5 and the 2.7

Just ordered my 2021 with 2.7 again. If you are not doing a lot of towing, that motor is a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom