Whats the law on speed chases? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Whats the law on speed chases?

R1special

This has probably already been discussed somewhere, anyhow I just wanted to know whats the regulation on police officers chasing you?
Is there a law that makes them deem the chase "unsafe" and stop the pursuit? ie over a certain speed? Or is it discretion?

Im asking not because ill run away from police, but ive heard so many different things, just wanted to clear that up. \

Thanks

Next time your at Timmies ask one of the PoPo's ;).

Seriously though this is one of those things that the rules may say one thing but at 3am on an empty road with a bored cop you could just have a high speed chase on your hands. I know a guy that's a deputy down in Texas and he described a chase where his supervisor ridiculed a rider over the bullhorn for most of a chase, and yes they caught him lol.

This has probably already been discussed somewhere, anyhow I just wanted to know whats the regulation on police officers chasing you?
Is there a law that makes them deem the chase "unsafe" and stop the pursuit? ie over a certain speed? Or is it discretion?

Im asking not because ill run away from police, but ive heard so many different things, just wanted to clear that up. \

Thanks

Its entirely fact specific and discretionary. There are guidelines, But the Criminal Code allows for a LOT.

putting it another way...
If they think your crime is serious enough, they can shoot you off your bike

Next time your at Timmies ask one of the PoPo's :wink:.

Seriously though this is one of those things that the rules may say one thing but at 3am on an empty road with a bored cop you could just have a high speed chase on your hands. I know a guy that's a deputy down in Texas and he described a chase where his supervisor ridiculed a rider over the bullhorn for most of a chase, and yes they caught him lol.

I dont go to timmies anymore, But I get it lol
That would suck a officer behind u saying throw that bike in the garbage its too slow!!! I would put turbo in that B^#$% lol

Here's the general stuff. The actual specifics vary by force.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/reg...eg-546-99.html

Thanks for the link, ya its pretty general not specific speeds or anything.

Its entirely fact specific and discretionary. There are guidelines, But the Criminal Code allows for a LOT.

putting it another way...
If they think your crime is serious enough, they can shoot you off your bike

Thats exactly it, I always heard of speeds for example 200km hour they have to call it off, but thats really not the case. Its more about endangering the public officer and yourself, and when the officer or his supervisor deem it unsafe.

My thing is what draws the safe/unsafe line. For me anything excess 100Km is unsafe or for that matter sometimes even slower. I mean travelling on a highway for example even if your going 60km u can still b hit run over etc.

Its really a fine line, I just thought there was a "number" speed wise they call the chase off, but thats false.

This isn't fast and furious, lol.

Whats the quote like?

"once you hit 200, the cops back off... they know you know what your doing (I MUST PROTECT MY HONOUR)"

I dont go to timmies anymore, But I get it lol

My thing is what draws the safe/unsafe line. For me anything excess 100Km is unsafe or for that matter sometimes even slower. I mean travelling on a highway for example even if your going 60km u can still b hit run over etc.

Its really a fine line, I just thought there was a "number" speed wise they call the chase off, but thats false.

1. lol at ever going to timmies on your bike.

2. dont worry, no cop is going to bust your nuts without proof of you speeding. Hell I do 5km long wheelies down main street, cutting off old woman and not caring about light.

3. This isn't fast and furious, lol.

Whats the quote like?

"once you hit 200, the cops back off... they know you know what your doing (I MUST PROTECT MY HONOUR)"

Last edited:
This isn't fast and furious, lol.Whats the quote like?"once you hit 200, the cops back off... they know you know what your doing (I MUST PROTECT MY HONOUR)"
Lol I really have no idea 200 was just a number, nothing to do with fast n furious lmao

no really, in tokyo drift, they give an exact speed. I dont remember it though.

"Police cars here are only factory-tuned. You can do better than 180 k, they can't catch you, so they don't even try."
Nevermind, found it

1: Okay I never went to timmies in my bike period but I do go with my car just 2 get a coffee.
2: risky, but do whatever u like, b safe though!
3: fast n furious I swear I had no idea haha.
4: never noticed this b4 that's why I'm answering it now lmao

Last edited:
OPP have mandates to pursue a motorcycle chase.

Municipal / Regional Police forces do not have mandate to pursue a motorcycle. That doesnt mean they wont go after you .. it all depends on alot of factors involved.

OPP have mandates to pursue a motorcycle chase.Municipal / Regional Police forces do not have mandate to pursue a motorcycle. That doesnt mean they wont go after you .. it all depends on alot of factors involved.

Ok so the OPP have to chase you, compared to other officers who need certain factors, but these factors might not stop the officers?

So basically either way it's a risk!

Last edited:

Yes, it is a risk. Would you like a list of riders killed trying to run from cops? Riders injured? Riders jailed? Each one thought they had what it takes to successfully get away, yet didn't.

And for what? To avoid a traffic ticket? Darwin will take care of the fools and defectives in the gene pool. Some riders go to great lengths to audition for Darwin.

Ok so the OPP have to chase you, compared to other officers who need certain factors, but these factors might not stop the officers?

They dont have to do anything .. officer's safety is foremost. If he/she feels its to dangerous for them or the public, they will discontinue the pursuit.

Again for the other officers to pursue you it would depend on a alot of factors .. some are which ..
= speeds
= traffic condition
= weather condition

Yes, it is a risk. Would you like a list of riders killed trying to run from cops? Riders injured? Riders jailed? And for what? To avoid a traffic ticket? Darwin will take care of the fools and defectives in the gene pool. Some riders go to great lengths to audition for Darwin.
I was just asking, curious about the whole procedure etc This is not about me and my choices and just for the record I don't have the stones 2 run believe me.

They dont have to do anything .. officer's safety is foremost. If he/she feels its to dangerous for them or the public, they will discontinue the pursuit.Again for the other officers to pursue you it would depend on a alot of factors .. some are which .. = speeds= traffic condition= weather condition
Thanks for ur input inferno that's what I was curious about!

They dont have to do anything .. officer's safety is foremost. If he/she feels its to dangerous for them or the public, they will discontinue the pursuit.

Again for the other officers to pursue you it would depend on a alot of factors .. some are which ..
= speeds
= traffic condition
= weather condition

... and type, and severity of offence which will help determine if pursuit is a necessity, due to danger the subject poses to the public.

Yes, it is a risk. Would you like a list of riders killed trying to run from cops? Riders injured? Riders jailed? Each one thought they had what it takes to successfully get away, yet didn't.

And for what? To avoid a traffic ticket? Darwin will take care of the fools and defectives in the gene pool. Some riders go to great lengths to audition for Darwin.

Some people undertake really dangerous sources of employment for money. That, to me, is idiocity. Are those people candidates for Darwin, too? Some of them don't do it for money, but for the thrill. More Darwinism? Some people do completely absurd things against the natural drive of self-preservation, motivated by completely absurd reasons. I may never understand.

Then there are some people just don't want to end up as a good catch.

Some people undertake really dangerous sources of employment for money. That, to me, is idiocity. Are those people candidates for Darwin, too? Some of them don't do it for money, but for the thrill. More Darwinism? Some people do completely absurd things against the natural drive of self-preservation, motivated by completely absurd reasons. I may never understand.

Then there are some people just don't want to end up as a good catch.

Darwinism can apply in a couple of different ways here. I think most people are suggesting that running from the cops is stupid and thus, the subjects dying does not allow for them to continue to pass those genetics down through future generations. An alternative way of looking at this is, that those who don't have the physical coordination/agility to successfully get away from the cops, do not get to pass their genetics, whereas those that do get away, now have more than enough cash left over to buy their date and themselves dinner that night :p

**Note: Just for reference, I have never attempted to escape the police when they have indicated for me to pull over. I'm just playing with some conceptual ideas here :)

People don't really seem to get the whole 'Darwinism' thing. By Darwin's theory it isn't that those who run and die help to clean up the gene pool (or what I frequently refer to as 'intellectual Darwinism', or 'survival of the less stupid'), but rather it's that those who run, and have a talent for it, go on to selectively breed for more, better runners.

Back
Top Bottom