What's H-D up to now ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's H-D up to now ?

whoever is saying HD sales are plummeting really is speaking without any facts. Sure they have declined a bit but in no way are they plummeting. They are as strong as ever. I sell Indians and while our brand has been taking off we still are nowhere close to HD sales. Our competition is down the street at Policaro HD and they are pushing 40-50 bikes a month. They have a second store opening in brampton. The bagger section is the new trend now, your typical Electra glide customers are dying off but the street glide and road glide guys are stronger than ever. Alot of guys 25-30something are moving on to the baggers. This is factual data that we are provided by both brands Indian and HD

I’m with you. Walk into a Harley dealer on a weekend and the place is absolutely buzzing. I waited probably around 20 minutes to speak with a salesperson one day.

I’m 34 and been on a bagger for 3 years. Won’t be getting off of one anytime soon.

Despite what people seem think, HD has always kept up with technology but they must integrate in into their decades-old designs to keep their customer base happy. They do a pretty good job of it I think.

whoever is saying HD sales are plummeting really is speaking without any facts. Sure they have declined a bit but in no way are they plummeting. They are as strong as ever. I sell Indians and while our brand has been taking off we still are nowhere close to HD sales. Our competition is down the street at Policaro HD and they are pushing 40-50 bikes a month. They have a second store opening in brampton. The bagger section is the new trend now, your typical Electra glide customers are dying off but the street glide and road glide guys are stronger than ever. Alot of guys 25-30something are moving on to the baggers. This is factual data that we are provided by both brands Indian and HD
Sorry, but the stats are against you.

They sold 5% fewer bikes than last year same time around and their sales fell 6%. I saw their earning statements and they don't look promising.

What you see around doesn't mean much. The business can be booming because of the dealer not because of HD.

I’m with you. Walk into a Harley dealer on a weekend and the place is absolutely buzzing. I waited probably around 20 minutes to speak with a salesperson one day.

I’m 34 and been on a bagger for 3 years. Won’t be getting off of one anytime soon.

wondering what % of HD dealers walk in customers
are potential bike buyers?

they do a ton of business off clothing sales
and this is not a slight against their business model

I actually have several HD T shirts from some places I've visited
I will quite likely buy one some day
but I fit the demographic
most bike buyers nowadays don't

I will say in my experience, HD dealers treat you better than anyone else, maybe its because they know their customers are paying a premium for just a badge, but they usually roll out the red carpet compared to others

Maybe the story changes after you purchase and your treated differently

I hear the weird tires are to blame
I would think the 19 inch front and 18 inch rear tires have a lot to do with it, as well as the generous rake to the fork geometry.
With 17 inch rims and a shorter, steeper rake that bike would handle much better I'm thinking.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I will say in my experience, HD dealers treat you better than anyone else, maybe its because they know their customers are paying a premium for just a badge, but they usually roll out the red carpet compared to others

Maybe the story changes after you purchase and your treated differently
That is cool for the money being spent.
I dont want to pay for the red carpet. When I walk into St Onge, Mission Cycle or Barrie Honda, the parts guys and girls all know my name and give me a smile and a greeting. That's because they're all local to me and I've been supporting them for 20 years.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Indian on the other hand seems to be heading in the right direction, the ftr :love:

agree that is a gorgeous looking bike
don't really know who's gonna buy it though

18K for a bike that really should be aimed at the ADV crowd
but it has zero protection from the elements
giant dual exhaust out the right allows for a pannier only on one side

off pavement it's going to be too heavy
and you can't tour with it

other than fantastic looks
what's it good for?

what's it good for?

Just a cool motorcycle for someone that likes to go for 1-2 hour blast around and then come home again. I look at it like a Ducati Monster, Triumph Thruxton, Ducati Scrambler and others. Not particularly great at anything but just a bunch of fun that looks and sounds cool.

Actually might be the perfect Ontario bike. Other nakeds in the price range are just too good that they can be a little boring sometimes because you can’t use anywhere near the capabilities they have with our straight no fun roads. I think the disappointment for some of the people that have test ridden it expect it to be as good as a Tuono, Duke 1290 or S1000R. That’s not this bike.

Reactions: J_F
Just a cool motorcycle for someone that likes to go for 1-2 hour blast around and then come home again. I look at it like a Ducati Monster, Triumph Thruxton, Ducati Scrambler and others. Not particularly great at anything but just a bunch of fun that looks and sounds cool.

Actually might be the perfect Ontario bike. Other nakeds in the price range are just too good that they can be a little boring sometimes because you can’t use anywhere near the capabilities they have with our straight no fun roads. I think the disappointment for some of the people that have test ridden it expect it to be as good as a Tuono, Duke 1290 or S1000R. That’s not this bike.
Plenty of great Ontario roads out there. Get out and explore! We did 1300kms on the weekend of straight up twisties. Was actually nice to have a break on the 401 for 20 mins! Oh, did it on a Monster. It's actually really good at a lot of things!

what's it good for?

I hear its a hooligan, cant wait to test ride it

They sold 5% fewer bikes than last year same time around and their sales fell 6%. I saw their earning statements and they don't look promising.

What you see around doesn't mean much. The business can be booming because of the dealer not because of HD.
Sales N. America wide are down huge! Not just for Harley. HD still owns half the N. American market. All the other manufacturers combined, make up the other half. They'll be just fine!

HD's 5% decrease is inline with the decrease in over-all motorcycle sales.

New engines on the way for 2020 . I`m ready to buy a Road Glide but I`m waiting to see if new liquid cooled motor will power the 2020 model.

New engines on the way for 2020 . I`m ready to buy a Road Glide but I`m waiting to see if new liquid cooled motor will power the 2020 model.
I wouldn't want to be the test bunny for an engine that is substantially changed. This is not knocking HD, I would have the same concerns for any manufacturer that came out with an entirely new design. Things may work well, or it could be a disaster and you are stuck with a stinking turd (and in the case of a Road Glide, potentially an expensive stinking turd). Now if you are hoping to pick up a 2019 at a substantial discount because a newer/better one is out, I am all over that plan.

I believe the new engine is for the new line, first up being the Pan America. The touring line got the M8 engine in 2017 so I don’t think they will get new power for a few years.

Spy shots out there of the 2020 Indian Challenger which looks to be a road glide styled bike. That might be worth looking at.

I ride a Dyna and I wear Dainese gear, no HD stuff, and I have stock exhaust too!
I'm atypical, but I sure appreciate the bikes.
I appreciate HD for the heritage and style, kinda like how I appreciate a 55 Chevy Nomad. If I needed to be first through the canyon, I'd probably pick a different bike.

So you read the financial results... Did you understand them? The company made about half a billion in profits for the first half of the year. Worse then last year yes, but that's a lot of potatoes for a struggling company. They have a billion in cash and are hitting targets in their strategic plan.

Few companies can keep an upward trajectory 100% of the time, they are still firing on two cylinders and as long as they are hitting strategic goals, I think they will be just fine. I'm not likely to buy a HD motorcycle anytime soon, I might take a ride on some HOG shares.

I appreciate HD for the heritage and style, kinda like how I appreciate a 55 Chevy Nomad. If I needed to be first through the canyon, I'd probably pick a different bike.

So you read the financial results... Did you understand them? The company made about half a billion in profits for the first half of the year. Worse then last year yes, but that's a lot of potatoes for a struggling company. They have a billion in cash and are hitting targets in their strategic plan.

Few companies can keep an upward trajectory 100% of the time, they are still firing on two cylinders and as long as they are hitting strategic goals, I think they will be just fine. I'm not likely to buy a HD motorcycle anytime soon, I might take a ride on some HOG shares.
I guess finance is not your strongest.

HOG.png

Guess it isn't your strongest either if you think looking at the stock chart gives the full picture of the health of the company.

Mike is right. Harley is profitable and has lots of cash on hand. They will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom