what to buy? | GTAMotorcycle.com

what to buy?

ruffriders

Hey riders, so heres the issue, I'm ready to buy y next bike, but what to buy?
my history of biles
CBR250 1 year
CBR600RR 5 years
Ducati hypermotard 2 years
Ducati Diavel 2 years

i now have a CB750 that i am rebuilding into a cafe/scrambler for some fun

so here is the issue, i want a bike for long distance riding, 3+ hours to the cottage and fall ride to florida each year and back in the spring, i am 49 so not ready for a gold wing yet but an adventure bike isn't the fit either as i only ride street,
i want something that will take bags and is comfortable with 2up
any thoughts?

I had the sports bikes, the cruisers... and then theres the ADV bikes! my very last motorcycle before I had my children was a KTM 990 adventure. cracker of a vtwin motor, high up seating position, very comfortable long and short distances and a good off road machine.

Good luck with your choice.

Hey riders, so heres the issue, I'm ready to buy y next bike, but what to buy?
my history of biles
CBR250 1 year
CBR600RR 5 years
Ducati hypermotard 2 years
Ducati Diavel 2 years

i now have a CB750 that i am rebuilding into a cafe/scrambler for some fun

so here is the issue, i want a bike for long distance riding, 3+ hours to the cottage and fall ride to florida each year and back in the spring, i am 49 so not ready for a gold wing yet but an adventure bike isn't the fit either as i only ride street,
i want something that will take bags and is comfortable with 2up
any thoughts?

I just notice you said no ADV bike.. but they are really really good on the road too. they arent just solely DAKAR machines they can do it all.

all the besr

BMW.

Looking at your past bikes, are you looking for something with a bit of sporting appeal or more skewed to the touring end of the spectrum?

Beyond the obvious answers of the FJR and the Harley baggers, Kawasaki makes a few nice bikes you might like.

Vulcan 1700, sporty looking Vaquero or more cruiser-ish Voyager model.

If you want sporty the Concours 1400 will get you to Florida pretty quickly and comfortably, or perhaps the Honda VFR 1200?

FJR seems on the money. The category I think is sport tourer but something comfy for the pillion which might leave out the VFR

Rule of thumb for BMW models is that RS models are designed with one up riding as the priority (sport) and RT models are better suited for 2 up riding (touring). BMW historically wind tunnel tests their designs using that criteria and passenger comfort reflects it. Saddle test all of them with your intended passenger before committing, some pillion seats are just a bird perch (perfect for your 90 pound girlfriend with short legs) ymmv.

Are you considering anything in the cruiser market, or too big/slow for your desires after years as a sportbike guy?

Assuming the answer is no, then yeah, FJR. Got a riding buddy who owns one and he loves the bejesus out of it. I've never ridden one myself, but I have spent enough miles riding with him to know that it sure looks like fun when you want it to be fun. ;)

I'll stick with my Hondapotomous however, as "big and slow" as my FJR owning riding buddy likes to razz me about it being.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I looked at BMW today R1200RT was impressive, will Look at the FJR1300 in the next couple of days, curious how it will compare to the more expensive BMW. As far as getting a Diavel again, I'm looking for better passanger ride and cruise control is important, refined smooth power not brut power like the Ducati's,
cheers

Back
Top Bottom