What the heck….mental hesitation… | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What the heck….mental hesitation…

Never say never, but I don't see myself riding on the street any more. Not around here, anyway. The number of idiots on the road in the GTA+ has risen exponentially..........and then some.

AIL4fc_pjUTahJrMtfDow37LG0XW6U-l5LEioQAsfamA28IP5YBmCclQHwtWcR8yO24fIINjm5qwteaDYLbtyfo4HGLee3B9wVz8TcNA-qM0e8LSKRkOxkfm7jqyEC7FD7ZzqtZE9-74N4Hc_dyLYPZxH6sO=w1067-h706-s-no

Speaking of close to home, pic I took of the tractor the contractor uses to cut the grass in our park in the spring of last year. Later that summer my neighbour and I were both out in our driveways. He comes over and says to me "remember my coworker that came over on a Ducati a few months ago?". The voice inside my head immediately said to me "he's dead". Sure enough, he was involved in a fatality on Appleby at 1st Line. As soon as he said the location I knew exactly what happened. Too fast northbound coming up out of the valley on Appleby and someone turned left in front of him at the blind intersection where 1st Line ends. He hit him hard/fast enough that the bike burst into flames.

AIL4fc_u1VMfISq_IJQKYHIAmwoTDLJJbp-am7PzQTQkNo37PHxXw_eRyl4SYhu4-GilITAjzjGhDcREovpONWTXGMaZAQESjcHlCpbbeoPayNkGEMpywsCagCBf8jtnUKvM85koT8-2yJuuEAfzTzxIX5e-=w1331-h931-s-no
Did this happen where you are no longer allowed to turn left?

My vote is it's the 3 kids. It's just a strange feeling to care about something more then motorcycling.

I've noticed in the last season or two that I have been holding back on how far I'll push a bike in the corners and find myself thinking about my kids. Match that with dwindling seat time that comes with having to drive kids places and busier/crazier roads in general and I definitely don't have the confidence/recklessness I had 5 years ago.
Very possibly it’s the 3 kids. I find I’m missing them when I’m on the bike and thinking about them more than even my wife.

Need to either shake this feeling or figure out next steps.

Very possibly it’s the 3 kids. I find I’m missing them when I’m on the bike and thinking about them more than even my wife.

If this is the case, quit riding, focus on the kids = they will grow up faster then you can imagine (my daughter is already 22 and moved to BC - when did it happen?!) - after, you come back to riding, promise you will be missing it by then big time (speaking of experience - had to pause for 7 years myself :))
And don't make it a big deal - there are some many other interesting things in life to do (note: together with your kids, not alone on your bike..) Cheers.

Definitely the kids and family, you have a huge responsibility. I took a long brake from riding when my kids were young and didn't ride again until they were teenagers and I had already given them as much wrong life information as I could! My suggestion is figure out why you want to ride, the real reason. For me it is like a drug. I don't use it to travel, commute, show off, bank kms, I use it for the rush. Every one is different and rides for their own reasons. Anyone who rides a motorcycle should have all their s**t in order meaning that their family will realize that you were thinking about them before you went and took that risk because getting on a bike is selfish. You realize how dangerous it is as you get older!
But it is still one of the best feelings in the world!

I'm in a similar position with wife and dogs, I just changed my riding times, I tend to go early in the morning when she and the dogs are still sleeping and I am usually home just as they wake up, as an added bonus traffic is lighter so hopefully the idiots are less... This has worked for me for the summer months.

Thanks all. Bike is listed for sale. I'm not expecting any bites and will remove it after a week or two.

Kids are priority, and I can't fathom leaving my wife to deal with those 3 monsters without me.

But I may still pop up to Algonquin soon...

Just accept that sometimes you don't feel like riding. Motivation for this sort of thing ebbs and flows and can be derailed by other pressing responsibilities or other activities that are more enjoyable at the moment.

Just don't push it. There's nothing wrong with riding YOUR bike when YOU want to, just as there's nothing wrong with not wanting to.

If the kids are drawing your attention at this time, roll with it. Enjoy your time how you want. If riding makes you feel "meh" right now don't go for a ride.

My wife told me that shame originates outside you while guilt comes from within. Nobody should be able to shame you for riding/not riding, and if you feel guilty about riding or owning a bike then stop doing it for however long you want. From your previous posts it doesn't sound like your wife has an issue with the motorcycle so the solution is all on you.

Thanks all. Bike is listed for sale. I'm not expecting any bites and will remove it after a week or two.

Kids are priority, and I can't fathom leaving my wife to deal with those 3 monsters without me.

After seeing my co-worker in a box this past Sunday... massive turnout for the viewing. His wife and kids. His 80+ year old mother, outliving her son...

Can't say it didn't affect me.

I will just be more picky about situations in which I choose to ride.

Forget riding in the city, especially at night...

But it could have been any of us. Drunk 21 year old, left turn bandit, after midnight, in the city... nope... Perfect storm.

For me:

More offroad riding: more chances for injury, but its not the same as hitting a stationary object (or a moving one) on the street.

Pick and choose when and where the streetbike comes out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

After seeing my co-worker in a box this past Sunday... massive turnout for the viewing. His wife and kids. His 80+ year old mother, outliving her son...

Can't say it didn't affect me.

I will just be more picky about situations in which I choose to ride.

Forget riding in the city, especially at night...

But it could have been any of us. Drunk 21 year old, left turn bandit, after midnight, in the city... nope... Perfect storm.

For me:

More offroad riding: more chances for injury, but its not the same as hitting a stationary object (or a moving one) on the street.

Pick and choose when and where the streetbike comes out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm going to hug my kids tonight extra tight.

Annoying as they may be...they're ours and can't replace that time.

What the hell!? Been riding 12 years and got on the bike no issue. For some reason this season I’m having a massive mental hesitation each time I jump on. Not sure where it’s coming from but this season has been mentally garbage for me. Maybe it’s the lack of time. Maybe the switch from the X to the Scrambler.

I can’t figure it out but it’s like a fear came over me to get on the bike and go ride. Planning on going later today but I need to shake this somehow as it’s effing frustrating and will affect my fun and enjoyment of riding.

Anybody go through this? Could be the 3 kids. Could be the mental and physical toll of the Reno…something is up and it’s frustrating.
I'm sorry to hear it. How long has it been happening, or how often, does it happen?
I have three kids myself, but haven't experienced this.
My guess is that it'll be a short-term thing. Maybe some other stress is spilling over, or something unpredictable like a bad dream that you don't remember, but your subconscious does. Most of us have experienced something like that with our wife/girlfriend mad at us for something we did in THEIR dream. lol
I hope you shake it quickly.

my issue is not with family/home stuff (i have no kids thankfully and job/partner/home everything is fine) but with just general lack of interest in riding in the gta region. i hate having to basically spend hours just to get out to nicer areas and everything IN toronto is a ******* disaster everywhere all of the time now.

I can't imagine living in Toronto and owning a motorcycle ... exactly for the reasons you state.

I've told people before that the only good thing about living in Brampton is that I'm 10 mins from Caledon and the country.

Many years ago I was riding daily from north Pickering to University and College for work while my son approaching 16 years old was riding dirt bikes regularly. I feared he was going to want a street bike. What could I say to him? "its ok for me to ride daily on the street but its not ok for you?". I was consumed with that thought so I sold my bike and quit riding altogether for a few years just for peace of mind.

What the hell!? Been riding 12 years and got on the bike no issue. For some reason this season I’m having a massive mental hesitation each time I jump on. Not sure where it’s coming from but this season has been mentally garbage for me. Maybe it’s the lack of time. Maybe the switch from the X to the Scrambler.

I can’t figure it out but it’s like a fear came over me to get on the bike and go ride. Planning on going later today but I need to shake this somehow as it’s effing frustrating and will affect my fun and enjoyment of riding.

Anybody go through this? Could be the 3 kids. Could be the mental and physical toll of the Reno…something is up and it’s frustrating.
Opposite feelings for me (most of the time). One good health scare makes you realize how quick you can be gone, often without warning. Enjoy what you can, when you can.

I dunno, that seems a little impulsive. What's wrong with just taking a break/breather?

I dunno, that seems a little impulsive. What's wrong with just taking a break/breather?
Oh it’s something that was with me for quite some time now. Even before I bought the Ducati.

I just thought it would pass.

I don’t expect to sell the bike this season anyway so it’s technically a break in a roundabout way.

I get this, it's a dangerous way to travel. You really are vulnerable when on a motorcycle. The comfort and security of a car is amazing these days. That being said, as much as a hassle it is to get geared up and ride I'm always glad I did. Currently trying to figure out a way to commute to work.

Sent from my SM-G991W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I get this, it's a dangerous way to travel. You really are vulnerable when on a motorcycle. The comfort and security of a car is amazing these days. That being said, as much as a hassle it is to get geared up and ride I'm always glad I did. Currently trying to figure out a way to commute to work.

Sent from my SM-G991W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
My commute is all 403/401 from Mississauga to Scarborough…tried it on the bike before and never ever again. It killed every ounce of joy I had of riding at the time. Never again.

Plus the insanity of drivers on the 401…need I say more?

Oh it’s something that was with me for quite some time now. Even before I bought the Ducati.

I just thought it would pass.

I don’t expect to sell the bike this season anyway so it’s technically a break in a roundabout way.
You forgot to add a "0" at the end of your price.
Please view the other thread with a Ducati 998 for sale for instructions.

Last edited:
I'll have no hesitation riding back in Aus - will be 60 years since I started riding and frankly I ride better than I walk ....especially now. Deep muscle memory.
I'm just ****** I didn't get a chance to ride mimico's new toy :(

Back
Top Bottom