what temps does your gsxr 600/750 run at? | GTAMotorcycle.com

what temps does your gsxr 600/750 run at?

absolute

ok to start off i have a 04, gsxr 600
yesterday during the day it was hot like 30+ degrees my bike was running at 95Cish on the highway, and 105Cish in the city during the day
my buddy's 2005 R6 was running almost 10 degrees below mine in both instances.

i have a sprocket change (i rev about 1000-1500rpm higher than before at the same speed)

is this normal for the gsxrs?

if not

am i due for a coolant flush (bought this year, not sure when last coolant flush was done)
are there other factors (dirty intake? etc.) that can contribute to my bike running hotter?

help would be appreciated as well as some numbers from gsxrs

cheers!

Different coolants can have different heat exchange rates. I think the best way to go is just using water and adding water wetter. Also im pretty sure r6's have much beefier rads allowing them to run cooler.

You mention a coolant flush, did you do it yourself or no? Either way unless your coolant resevoir is getting empty i wouldn't worry too much. My k6 750 runs at about 80-90 while riding on a hot day and will sit at 105 in traffic. Unless you're constantly hitting over 110 you should be good.

ok to start off i have a 04, gsxr 600
yesterday during the day it was hot like 30+ degrees my bike was running at 95Cish on the highway, and 105Cish in the city during the day.........

i have a sprocket change (i rev about 1000-1500rpm higher than before at the same speed)

is this normal for the gsxrs?

if not

am i due for a coolant flush (bought this year, not sure whee air out....n last coolant flush was done)
are there other factors (dirty intake? etc.) that can contribute to my bike running hotte

cheers!

Normal.

If it is the original coolant then a complete flush and refill with new antifreeze wouldn't hurt.

Getting the premix antifreeze is great because it is already mixed with 50% demineralized water so just pour it in and go. Of course be sure you understand where to bleed the air out....

@ randomhero no i havent done a coolant flush yet, it was tracked before by previous owner, and when they refilled the coolant it was still a bit low, so i added some premix coolant in to fill it back up, and its not leaking coolant or anything either

thanks for the info guys! glad to know its normal!

2011 GSX-R750 with factory coolant fill.....on a cooler day will run 78-82C on a cruise. On a warm day it will run 82-86C on a cruise.....in stop and go city traffic will max out at 105C where the fan kicks in.

2006 GSXR600, today 30C it ran around 100-105 on the streets. On the highway it runs around 90.
My feet were getting really hot and I feel like I'm hugging a huge oven.
My ninja 250 was never that hot.

2006 GSXR600, today 30C it ran around 100-105 on the streets. On the highway it runs around 90.
My feet were getting really hot and I feel like I'm hugging a huge oven.
My ninja 250 was never that hot.

Maybe try wearing proper gear and you won't feel the heat?

2001 gsxr1k runs the same as abcarr - 82-86 on a cruise, 104 in the city if it's hot enough, then the fan kicks on. OP it sounds like your machine is running a bit high, to be honest.

2001 gsxr1k runs the same as abcarr - 82-86 on a cruise, 104 in the city if it's hot enough, then the fan kicks on. OP it sounds like your machine is running a bit high, to be honest.

so do you suggest i do a coolant flush asap? or is it something i can wait till its time to put the bike away to do at the end of the season?

For the amount of time it will take to change the coolant I would do it now.

Last edited:
Personally? I wouldn't do a flush, I'd just add straight coolant (instead of a coolant/water mix) the next time a top-up is required. The temps don't sound like they're at a critical level, they're just running a touch high, just keep your eye on it. I think you'll be fine to ride that way through the season IMO but it's up to you.

2011 GSX-R750 with factory coolant fill.....on a cooler day will run 78-82C on a cruise. On a warm day it will run 82-86C on a cruise.....in stop and go city traffic will max out at 105C where the fan kicks in.

Same as my k8.

There are lots of things you can do to make a bike run cooler. For instance, I was tinkering with a 05 636 which was running 85* DEG on a hot day, vs the other 636 in our stable was running 95* DEG....why 10 DEG? Better coolant, cleaner system and ran fins were straight and no junk in the rad.

Clean system = efficient

My bike runs around 103-106 at a stop on a hot day. cools right down after several seconds of moving.

You can change the temperature limit at which the cooling fan kicks on, or is it you're annoyed by the fan coming on?

@ frek hmm i'll check my rad for junk on it and give it a good clean.

@sushi how do you change the temperature limit? and naw im not annoyed at the fan. but yea mine cools down too after it gets moving but on a hot day hovers around 88-94 degrees

There's a guy I work with who programs ECUs instead of using Power Commander. Not sure if it'll work on our bike but he's done it on his '09 R1 or GSXR1000 (forget which bike it was)

The gsxr's fan doesn't even kick in until 104c......its completely normal.

@ frek hmm i'll check my rad for junk on it and give it a good clean.

@sushi how do you change the temperature limit? and naw im not annoyed at the fan. but yea mine cools down too after it gets moving but on a hot day hovers around 88-94 degrees

run a by-pass...turn it on with a manual switch, and if you forget about the switch...the thermal sensor will turn on the fan.

Back
Top Bottom