What should I be aware of for my first track day.. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What should I be aware of for my first track day..

Point noted, franz, however, i'm thinking that there's more to it than that. I'm thinking part of the education involved would be to not "slide the rear" while riding ..... yes/no?
How do you know how much traction you have?
How do you decide how much throttle you can give?
How late can you brake?
How much faster can you go in a corner?
How can you go faster in general?
How did that Franz guy ride around me like I was in neutral? :)

You can eventually answer all of those questions with your streetbike, but there'll be some expensive bodywork damaged in the process.

The only way to learn the limit is to exceed the limit and back up, dirt is very good for that. No one can teach you to feel the limit, thats a personal learning process.

Or you can just cruise around never getting near any limits until you make a mistake, crash and go even slower.

How do you know how much traction you have?
How do you decide how much throttle you can give?
How late can you brake?
How much faster can you go in a corner?
How can you go faster in general?
How did that Franz guy ride around me like I was in neutral? :)

You can eventually answer all of those questions with your streetbike, but there'll be some expensive bodywork damaged in the process.

The only way to learn the limit is to exceed the limit and back up, dirt is very good for that. No one can teach you to feel the limit, thats a personal learning process.

Or you can just cruise around never getting near any limits until you make a mistake, crash and go even slower.

Hmmm, I never really looked at it like that untill now. Thanks Franz!

You a teacher or something?!?!

I'm thinking part of the education involved would be to not "slide the rear" while riding ..... yes/no?

when you hit a sertan speed you will no longer be steering with the front. but will now have to steer with the rear.. as to anybody that has seen me come on the front str8 at cayuga will know what im talking about.

Noob question here...
For someone starting or planning to take part in the occasional lapping day. What type of prep is generally required for someone to take their street bike on the track.
Of course the bike has to be fit
Remove mirrors.
Tape up all lenses glass/plastic
Rad fluid must be water

Now I see some suggest lock wireing certain fasteners and removing the side stand.

What's the norm here guys?
Thanks

Noob question here...
For someone starting or planning to take part in the occasional lapping day. What type of prep is generally required for someone to take their street bike on the track.

I'm bored I'll take a swing at this. It depends on the organizer plain and simple, and sometimes the group that you are in. Almost all organizers will tell you what they require.

Minimum normally to get a street bike on the track, remove mirrors, remove/tape/unplug lights, removed side stand, replace coolent with water/water wetter, silicon the oil drain bolt. Make sure the bike it fit, brakes, tires, chain etc.

Good idea to lock tight your foot peg bolts and engine mounting bolts. if you can afford it get a set of race plastics and a used tank. falling at speed with your pretty shiny street stuff hurts in more ways then one.

Last edited:
I have never been told to remove the side stand. Some organizers may ask you to zip-tie it, but I have never had to do that with multiple organizers.
If you have a centre stand, that will need to come off.

/rs

I have tried to ask this question to track day organizers with no response.

Has any one experienced bad weather on a track day or are they re-scheduled?

I have tried to ask this question to track day organizers with no response.

Has any one experienced bad weather on a track day or are they re-scheduled?

Hi Jon
Bad weather, unfortunately, does occur during the trackday season and re-scheduling does not occur as a result. Due to track rental cost and track booking space (dates are booked up in the late fall of the previous season) it is not viable for the trackday organizer to do such. In addition, unless there is lightening (in which case the marshalls have to come in from their booths at Mosport) or torrential downpours, we still ride. At our Tremblant day last year we had about 20 riders out as snowflakes fell in May.

You have two options:
pay in advance to avoid late registration fees and hope for the best, and, worse case, slap some rains on a give it a go.
OR
Wait until a few days before and pay the late registration fee (Ours is an additional $50 if not reg. a week prior to the event.) and hope they're are spots still available.

Hope this helps...if you have any other questions you can PM me.

Sheena
Pro6

Hi Jon
Bad weather, unfortunately, does occur during the trackday season and re-scheduling does not occur as a result. Due to track rental cost and track booking space (dates are booked up in the late fall of the previous season) it is not viable for the trackday organizer to do such. In addition, unless there is lightening (in which case the marshalls have to come in from their booths at Mosport) or torrential downpours, we still ride. At our Tremblant day last year we had about 20 riders out as snowflakes fell in May.

You have two options:
pay in advance to avoid late registration fees and hope for the best, and, worse case, slap some rains on a give it a go.
OR
Wait until a few days before and pay the late registration fee (Ours is an additional $50 if not reg. a week prior to the event.) and hope they're are spots still available.

Hope this helps...if you have any other questions you can PM me.

Sheena
Pro6

Thank you for the info. As a newbie to the track, I hoping for a great first experience.

Thanks again.

Best thread ever!!!
I might even do a track day this year ;)

Thanks for all the info!!

hopefully there is an orientation session. try to keep that pace untill you are comfortable
going faster. ride within your limits remember to commit to turns as the bike can lean more then your willing to. dont worry about anyone behind you maintain your line and they will pass only when it is safe.(dont try to get out of there way).dont focus on others and look threw the turns. just have fun and you will get faster and better....

question for the regulars, about how many track days to you guys put in per season?

also say someone had the type of money to spend to go to a track every weekend of the season or a certain day per week (assuming the track is open everyday during the season, im new to this so i uno) would it be possible? or is the track jus too booked that you would be able to only go a few times here n there a month/year?

Thanks

question for the regulars, about how many track days to you guys put in per season?

also say someone had the type of money to spend to go to a track every weekend of the season or a certain day per week (assuming the track is open everyday during the season, im new to this so i uno) would it be possible? or is the track jus too booked that you would be able to only go a few times here n there a month/year?

Thanks

Check out: http://www.motorcycletrackdays.ca/ you'll see there are almost events every day. Can't answer your first question as i'm a track newb...

Back
Top Bottom