What ruined star trek? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What ruined star trek?

bigpoppa

Id like to think it was JJ Abrams, I still remember star trek was always dry, and would try to teach you something, been watching discovery and cant get over the fact it feels like a soap opera/romcom, its not a coincidence all the great captains were bachelors

Sure there were episodes like that in the series before, but now it just feels like the entire show is like that

REALLY hoping picard is different

i grew up watching TNG and is by far my favourite star trek series. DS9 was good and i actually like voyager too, despite it probably being the least appreciated universe.

i remember watching first contact in theatres and that was incredible. seeing the borg at a cinematic level was mindblowing.

i still enjoyed the first abrams 2009 star trek. the followup movies werent as good and just didnt maintain my interest.

i TRIED getting into discovery...watched the first season and thought it was ok at best, but really had nothing to do with star trek. just felt like a generic sci-fi show. didnt bother watching after the 1st season.

TNG et al

Id like to think it was JJ Abrams, I still remember star trek was always dry, and would try to teach you something, been watching discovery and cant get over the fact it feels like a soap opera/romcom, its not a coincidence all the great captains were bachelors

Sure there were episodes like that in the series before, but now it just feels like the entire show is like that

REALLY hoping picard is different
When Gene Roddenberry died, so did Trek, and other people got their claws into it.
I wasn't really a huge fan of the show, but the Original series and early parts of Next Generation were more exploratory with ideas and concepts. More true Science Fiction. Plus the characters had charisma and you felt the interactions were somewhat genuine, with real comradery.

Now it's just some action space show with lots of fancy effects with the name Star Trek in front of it, and the characters are hollow and fake.

Discovery has some good characters, it's not all bad, like the young ensign girl and Captain Pike.
The saving grace would be to branch off and use Captin Pike as a series lead instead or focus more on that.

I stopped watching Discovery when Harry Mudd showed up. No idea what season or episode it was as I wasn't really that into it to begin with. I agree with sburns, original and early TNG were, and are, my favs. When TNG started focusing on Wesley and Worf, I kinda lost interest. Nothing beats a Q episode, even in Voyager.

been watching discovery

I thought you were watching star trek on Discovery channel, didn't even know or realize that there is a new franchise out :). Grew up with TNG and DS9...And as someone said, watching first contact on the big screen was awesome. I think Voyager ruined it for me and I really did give it a try.

When Gene Roddenberry died, so did Trek, and other people got their claws into it.
I wasn't really a huge fan of the show, but the Original series and early parts of Next Generation were more exploratory with ideas and concepts. More true Science Fiction. Plus the characters had charisma and you felt the interactions were somewhat genuine, with real comradery.

Now it's just some action space show with lots of fancy effects with the name Star Trek in front of it, and the characters are hollow and fake.

Discovery has some good characters, it's not all bad, like the young ensign girl and Captain Pike.
The saving grace would be to branch off and use Captin Pike as a series lead instead or focus more on that.
This.

They tried to make it too sexy and they ruined it in the process.
Too many special effects at the expense of other stuff.
Too many romcom story lines.

Ol Patrick steward commanded your attention every time he walked into the scene.

I enjoyed Star Trek when I was younger. I have watched The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I thought Deep Space Nine was the most interesting in terms of story and dealing with that whole situation going on there. All in all though I do not find it to be great Sci-Fi. They always seemed to manage fixing their problems with some quick clicks on the data pads that look completely incoherent and nonsensical. Everything seemed very cookie cutter to me, especially the aliens who are all basically humans but with some bumps and ridges here and there.

Picard was definitely the most interesting character from all the Star Trek shows and will have a look at this new series.

I'll skip Picard and wait for Kirk.

swedish-chef-smorgas-of-borg-meme.jpg

I went to a talk given by Canadian author Robert Sawyer once. He talked about his take on good "sci-fi" as actually being "sci-phi" as in "science-philosophy." Looking back on TOS you can see some seriously good philosophical (and social) commentary being played out in the guise of low-budget television and part of that was because they had seriously good writers for at least some of the episodes.

TNG had a rocky start but became quite good once the cast found their footing. But the loss of Roddenberry was keenly felt thereafter. Although DS9, Voyager and Enterprise tried they never really seemed to capture the essence of the earlier shows. Discovery looks terrible, despite looking fancy; too much emphasis on special effects, not enough on story, message or characters.

I worry Picard is going to suck. Patrick Stewart is getting on now; I hope the gravitas of his past Picard is not lost in a doddering and slow-moving -- if well-spoken -- modern day take. Perhaps its writing will be good. I suspect it won't...

I went to a talk given by Canadian author Robert Sawyer once. He talked about his take on good "sci-fi" as actually being "sci-phi" as in "science-philosophy." Looking back on TOS you can see some seriously good philosophical (and social) commentary being played out in the guise of low-budget television and part of that was because they had seriously good writers for at least some of the episodes.

TNG had a rocky start but became quite good once the cast found their footing. But the loss of Roddenberry was keenly felt thereafter. Although DS9, Voyager and Enterprise tried they never really seemed to capture the essence of the earlier shows. Discovery looks terrible, despite looking fancy; too much emphasis on special effects, not enough on story, message or characters.

I worry Picard is going to suck. Patrick Stewart is getting on now; I hope the gravitas of his past Picard is not lost in a doddering and slow-moving -- if well-spoken -- modern day take. Perhaps its writing will be good. I suspect it won't...

I definitely agree that good sci-fi is sci-philosophy. When you focus all your attention on all the tech you lose the story.

Not sure if I agree with TNG, though it has been years since I watched it. Can't comment on TOS, only watched a few episodes and nothing left me hungry for more.

DS9 had the most potential I think, dealing with a crushing oppressive species on a peaceful and close to helpless people. The change of power, freedoms being given back, anger that goes along with the years of oppression, etc etc.

I just know when I am looking for good sci-fi Star Trek is not it. A.I. is a perfect example of good sci fi. It is not all about the special effects and the future world, all that is just a backdrop for good stories.

I went to a talk given by Canadian author Robert Sawyer once. He talked about his take on good "sci-fi" as actually being "sci-phi" as in "science-philosophy."

Sci-phi = anything written by R.A. Heinlein

A.I. is a perfect example of good sci fi.

Ministry playing on the roof of the Flesh Fair was the icing on the cake.

Steven with Al and Paul at the A. I. premier.

ai_speil_ministry.jpg

Last edited:
Sci-phi = anything written by R.A. Heinlein
amen.

Starship Troopers
Starman Jones
Stranger in a Strange Land

All among my favourite novels of any genre.

Back
Top Bottom