What Makes the Ducati 916 Special - History and Review of a Superbike Icon | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Makes the Ducati 916 Special - History and Review of a Superbike Icon

Bologna998

Hi guys! :D

When I look back at 90s superbikes and probably superbikes in general, the one motorcycle that stands out to me is the Ducati 916. In my new video, I'm taking a dive into its design, technology, racing success and legacy.

Take a peek :geek:

Nice video. I've never been among the Ducatisti, but I think it's tough to argue that the 916 design isn't the most recognizable and famous sportbike design of all time. I'm partial to some of the later models with the five-spoke wheels, personally, but the purity of the original is incredible.

A couple of notes:
- I think it's important to recognize the influence the NR750 had on the 916's design. There's no doubt that Tamburini took some of the ideas that Honda presented and refined them, and he has admitted as such. The underseat pipes, single-sided swingarm, and headlight shape are all heavily influenced by the NR.
- While the 999 was mocked for being ugly following the 998, I think time has proven Terblanche right that his design is timeless (though I won't mention his Multistrada... ? ). I personally think the 999 has aged much better than the 1098, which looks dated and a bit bland and boring by comparison. I was definitely in the camp that hated the 999 when it came out, though. I remember so clearly seeing it on the cover of Cycle World for the first time in a subway newsstand, and being disappointed that it wasn't an evolution of the 916 shape. I thought Ducati would go the Porsche 911 route and just iterate on that design forever. In hindsight, I think it was brilliant by Ducati to make such a clean break. As the fuss now about valve springs and aluminum frames shows, when people are passionate about a brand, it's easy to get trapped by history...

Nice video. I've never been among the Ducatisti, but I think it's tough to argue that the 916 design isn't the most recognizable and famous sportbike design of all time. I'm partial to some of the later models with the five-spoke wheels, personally, but the purity of the original is incredible.

A couple of notes:
- I think it's important to recognize the influence the NR750 had on the 916's design. There's no doubt that Tamburini took some of the ideas that Honda presented and refined them, and he has admitted as such. The underseat pipes, single-sided swingarm, and headlight shape are all heavily influenced by the NR.
- While the 999 was mocked for being ugly following the 998, I think time has proven Terblanche right that his design is timeless (though I won't mention his Multistrada... ? ). I personally think the 999 has aged much better than the 1098, which looks dated and a bit bland and boring by comparison. I was definitely in the camp that hated the 999 when it came out, though. I remember so clearly seeing it on the cover of Cycle World for the first time in a subway newsstand, and being disappointed that it wasn't an evolution of the 916 shape. I thought Ducati would go the Porsche 911 route and just iterate on that design forever. In hindsight, I think it was brilliant by Ducati to make such a clean break. As the fuss now about valve springs and aluminum frames shows, when people are passionate about a brand, it's easy to get trapped by history...
Two designers, two ideas. Tamburini was all about form first function second. Anyone that has spent any time in the saddle of his design knows how bad the ergos are except on the track.
Terblanche did the opposite. Function first form second. The double sided swingarm was needed to get the thing to turn. And the bodywork made cooling the engine much better.
His MTS is definitely different. The bar mounted windshield meant it could be moved back toward the rider where it actually worked.I spent a lot of time on an 1800 wing and was quite happy with the design. My 09 MTS is a much comfier bike. Ergos a bit like a bmw.

Two designers, two ideas. Tamburini was all about form first function second. Anyone that has spent any time in the saddle of his design knows how bad the ergos are except on the track.
Terblanche did the opposite. Function first form second. The double sided swingarm was needed to get the thing to turn. And the bodywork made cooling the engine much better.
His MTS is definitely different. The bar mounted windshield meant it could be moved back toward the rider where it actually worked.I spent a lot of time on an 1800 wing and was quite happy with the design. My 09 MTS is a much comfier bike. Ergos a bit like a bmw.
The 999 was definitely an improvement over the previous bikes' ergos, but it's still a Ducati sportbike. A friend recently traded his 999S for an Aprilia RSV4, and he says the biggest positive change (aside from the extra 70 hp, of course) is that the RSV is far comfier.

As for the original Multistrada, I'm sure it's supremely practical. For me, though, it hasn't transcended time with its design like the 999 has. I like it for its quirkiness, but I don't think it's an attractive motorcycle. Subsequent MTS's added that vestigial dirt bike fender/beak for a reason, even though it doesn't serve much of a purpose.

Loving all the 999 love.

I've been a fan since it first came out, it looked liked a freakin' alien spaceship! Glad people are finally coming around to it. It's the one bike that I regret selling, I wish I could have kept it forever. The build quality went down considerably with the 1098, it just looked and felt a lot more plasticky compared to the previous gen 999. I had both of them in the garage side-by-side and I'd always take the Trip9 for the longer day-rides up north, or to the Ottawa valley or the US. 1098 for posing or just shorter rides around the Golden Horseshoe.

Loving all the 999 love.

I've been a fan since it first came out, it looked liked a freakin' alien spaceship! Glad people are finally coming around to it. It's the one bike that I regret selling, I wish I could have kept it forever. The build quality went down considerably with the 1098, it just looked and felt a lot more plasticky compared to the previous gen 999. I had both of them in the garage side-by-side and I'd always take the Trip9 for the longer day-rides up north, or to the Ottawa valley or the US. 1098 for posing or just shorter rides around the Golden Horseshoe.
The 1098 was also half the price first econo duc.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I was under the impression the 999 was in the 30k plus range the 1098 was 20. I paid 14 for my 1198 with 80kms on it.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
That was a very special deal. The details were awesome. Did you ever sell the bodywork?

- While the 999 was mocked for being ugly following the 998, I think time has proven Terblanche right that his design is timeless (though I won't mention his Multistrada... ? ).
True about the NR750! Clear inspiration, but he turned it into something else entirely. I'm developing a soft spot for the 999, too. Maybe one day... ;)
Anyone that has spent any time in the saddle of his design knows how bad the ergos are except on the track.
That's one of the things I love about the 916 - it is brutally honest. When you're sitting on it, you know it's not messing about. It's like a warning from your body: This is the real deal :devilish:
Loving all the 999 love.

I regretted selling my 998 so much, it was almost painful. I guess you should never ever sell a Ducati superbike. The 1098 was quite popular, though, I think. And with the 1198 it was a real torque monster.

Back
Top Bottom