What did you do in your garage today..?

Found out the front axle of my killer needs a 14mm hex socket or wrench in order to get it off. AND that there is nothing like that in the tool kit or it seams my entire toolbox.
I had a similar issue with the vStrom front wheel had large hex bolt. Princess Auto for the win. Luckily they had a 3 pack with the size I needed.
 
Just bought these this afternoon. Have the wheel off and spooned the new tire on in record time with minimal effort. Not sure why it went so well but as of yet we don't know for certain the tube holds air. I always let them sit overnight before remounting just in case.

Also the cool black anodized finish on my new rims now have a few small nicks. No worries I bought this to use not hang on the wall as art.
1790281458416.png
 
A few days ago I finally solved an oil leak that had plagued my 76 SuperSport since the latest rebuild a few years back. After too many embarrassing oil stains were left behind I found it was just a loose clamp on the hose from the PCV spigot.
 
Got a weird low-speed vibration through the bars on the way back from a ride yesterday. Thought I might have lost a wheel weight, but it was worst at a crawl when slowing down for stops. I could feel pulsing in the brake lever just resting my fingers on it. Pulled the wheel off and sure enough the bearings are worn. In all my years, I've never had a wheel bearing go bad on me, but this is the first bike I've owned with over 115,000 kms.

KTM's parts fiche shows them as 6906 DDU2CG23S6NM, Google says made by NSK, but unavailable anywhere. ADVRider says the G23 suppsedly means slightly looser tolerance for the axle to slide in/out without tools, but even if BS, the KTM's are only $10 more than the generic NSK 6906 DDU or DDUCM on Amazon, and I won't have to wonder in the back of my mind whether they're fake.
 
I did something completely crazy...

Rolled the bike outside for a wash... When I was done I put her back inside, get this...

THE OTHER WAY 'ROUND...!
Like facing the door...
Crazy... I know.
yCaTlDH.jpeg
 
I like to back my bikes in but it means backing in between the van on one side and the car and trailer on the other. Squeeze sometimes parks by taking her half out of the middle.....
 
Also less exciting: installed a Rottweiler Power Plate pre-filter for the wife's bike:

20260524_201552-X2.jpg


Running the extra-dust-protection dual layer filter. Much needed, as evidenced by all the debris under the seat.

Haven't tried it out yet to see if there's any decrease in performance, but all the marketing material assures the computer will adjust. 🤷‍♂️

How is this working out? Any decrease in performance and is it keeping things cleaner?

Haven't seen a post from you in ages, hope you are enjoying a bunch of great adventures!
 
Haven't seen a post from you in ages, hope you are enjoying a bunch of great adventures!

Thanks! We've done quite a bit this season! Hope you got out on two as well!

How is this working out? Any decrease in performance and is it keeping things cleaner?

Most definitely.

This is after a four-day dirt ride tour in the Kootenays. Very dusty conditions at the end of the summer and my wife was following me. I tend to spin my rear wheel a lot so her bike sucked in a lot of roost:

20261005_123549-X2.jpg


No complaints about power loss. But we'll do a back-to-back comparison after I clean the filter and take it out again.
 
Added a clutch mod today.

Since I've had the bike the friction zone has always felt weird and very different from other bikes. Not smooth and very abrupt. Adjusting the power response and torque settings helps. But I learned about the clutch arm extension from Alt Rider which helps widen the friction zone, plus makes pulls easier. I found a knock off on Ali Express for $20 bucks.

Just got back from a test ride, what a difference. Pulls are so easy, it's very light so feedback at the clutch is much different. But it helps a lot with the friction zone, I feel now I can modulate the clutch properly without it being jumpy. Kind surprised Honda hasn't addressed this issue, just one of a few quirks with this bike.

Bike = 2026 Honda Africa Twin ES

Hope this helps someone!

clutch lever.jpg
 
Added a clutch mod today.

Since I've had the bike the friction zone has always felt weird and very different from other bikes. Not smooth and very abrupt. Adjusting the power response and torque settings helps. But I learned about the clutch arm extension from Alt Rider which helps widen the friction zone, plus makes pulls easier. I found a knock off on Ali Express for $20 bucks.

Just got back from a test ride, what a difference. Pulls are so easy, it's very light so feedback at the clutch is much different. But it helps a lot with the friction zone, I feel now I can modulate the clutch properly without it being jumpy. Kind surprised Honda hasn't addressed this issue, just one of a few quirks with this bike.

Bike = 2026 Honda Africa Twin ES

Hope this helps someone!

View attachment 80404
So it made the clutch arm longer? Be extra careful with slack setup now. With the same cable motion and less angular motion, the clutch may remain partly engaged even when the lever is against the bar.
 
So it made the clutch arm longer? Be extra careful with slack setup now. With the same cable motion and less angular motion, the clutch may remain partly engaged even when the lever is against the bar.
IT doesn't change the lever travel, only travel at the arm going into the clutch. Tension is good. Actually I adjusted it better then before. Seems fully disengaged and not creeping etc.
 
I had a similar issue with the vStrom front wheel had large hex bolt. Princess Auto for the win. Luckily they had a 3 pack with the size I needed.
One thing I’ve learned about Princess Auto, if it isn’t on sale today it will be soon. I use to avoid them because 90% of their stuff is from China but now Canadian Tire is the same. You can’t beat Princess Auto’s prices and selection.
 
Back
Top Bottom