What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 94 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

It will likely be cheaper at costco. I've thought about them before but there a few different models and the ones that would work well for my car are not great for my wifes and vice versa. After today, I am starting a lift fund. Getting too old for this crap. Two post lift will be installed when I cam find one for cheapish.
Surprise surprise.

But it does come with a very forgiving return policy .

1668392715258.png

Attachments

• 1668392701314.png
    1668392701314.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 8
The dream is to have a car lift in the garage. With 8ft ceilings….I need a bigger house.

Surprise surprise.

But it does come with a very forgiving return policy .

View attachment 58432
Different lift. Costco has an extra 2000 lbs capacity. With the pudginess of evs, I dont think I would buy a 5000 lb lift if I was paying retail prices.

Although fluid didnt look bad in diff, with symptoms and diagnostics done, we are going with new diff required. Pinion backs off in them and binds for a while and then kaboom. Book time is four hours but it is an absolute prick and can easily take very experienced techs 10+ hours with a lift. May end the DIY part of the journey and write a cheque.

Different lift. Costco has an extra 2000 lbs capacity. With the pudginess of evs, I dont think I would buy a 5000 lb lift if I was paying retail prices.

Although fluid didnt look bad in diff, with symptoms and diagnostics done, we are going with new diff required. Pinion backs off in them and binds for a while and then kaboom. Book time is four hours but it is an absolute prick and can easily take very experienced techs 10+ hours with a lift. May end the DIY part of the journey and write a cheque.
Wow - are you talking rear diff? I've re & re s couple of tough Jeep diffs that took 4+hrs, but those were fronts. What kinda SUV are you fixing?

Wow - are you talking rear diff? I've re & re s couple of tough Jeep diffs that took 4+hrs, but those were fronts. What kinda SUV are you fixing?
Hyundai. Rear diff. Bolted to viscous coupler. If diff locks up, good chance it blows the viscous coupler at the same time and doubles the cost of parts. According to a tech that has done them, rubber bushings are half the problem when doing the job. The bolts stick to them and tear them apart on the way out and you have to press new bushings into place in the vehicle. They didnt sleeve them so that doesnt go well. Diff is mounted in front of a k-member so it is not as easy to access as an oldschool jeep/truck diff that is out in space.

On the upside, with 4 hour book time, this is one of the occasions that could work in favor of the customer.

I made my tires on rim swap / oil change appointment about 3 - 4 weeks ago for Nov. 3. All done, no hassle, no lines. I've been in CT the AM of a first snowfall and seen the dozens of people in line who waited until the last possible moment. Don't need the aggravation.

I had to do a diff on a 2013 Highlander. Saw drips on the drive, assumed I had a small oil leak and change was due in a few weeks so no big deal......... found out my pinion bearing seal was leaking, diff virtually dry, a $2,500 repair.

Not a car lift, but I was walking around recently and saw a guy had installed a 4 post frame to allow for additional storage in the garage...and let the car park underneath.

I liked that idea, and am going to look into it. But with such a low ceiling, it may not even be worth the effort as it only leaves 2-3ft of vertical space, especially with the garage door (so it can't be supported from the ceiling as the door wouldn't open.

There appears to be a small leak. Once I Jack the car up, it starts coming down slowly.

I always use stands so it’s not a concern. But it lowers a few mm during the course of the swap as I can no longer remove the stands easily.

If there's no fluid leaking out anywhere, it might just need to be bled to get the air out.

Not a car lift, but I was walking around recently and saw a guy had installed a 4 post frame to allow for additional storage in the garage...and let the car park underneath.

I liked that idea, and am going to look into it. But with such a low ceiling, it may not even be worth the effort as it only leaves 2-3ft of vertical space, especially with the garage door (so it can't be supported from the ceiling as the door wouldn't open.
I built a loft over the garage doors about 3' tall. Obviously not ideal but a good place to store bins of stuff (electrical, plumbing, bicycle part, bike parts, mini parts, etc) so they arent using up valuable floor space. Heavy stuff that gets used reasonably often lives on a few shelves on the floor. Heavy stuff that doesnt get used often lives on lift for now (snow blowers in summer for instance).

For your garage, industrial racking may give you a bunch of space for bins. Keep in mind that if you want 3' above, you may have to duck to get to car. I set lift height so I wouldnt whack my head. Also remember that depending on placement, garage door and opener may eat into usable space on the platform.

I built a loft over the garage doors about 3' tall. Obviously not ideal but a good place to store bins of stuff (electrical, plumbing, bicycle part, bike parts, mini parts, etc) so they arent using up valuable floor space. Heavy stuff that gets used reasonably often lives on a few shelves on the floor. Heavy stuff that doesnt get used often lives on lift for now (snow blowers in summer for instance).

For your garage, industrial racking may give you a bunch of space for bins. Keep in mind that if you want 3' above, you may have to duck to get to car. I set lift height so I wouldnt whack my head. Also remember that depending on placement, garage door and opener may eat into usable space on the platform.
Thanks, but every wall in the garage is already covered in racking of either industrial metal...or stuff I built myself. There's no more wall space lol.

I can find some more space on the lower end under my work bench...but the fact is...I need to learn to throw $hit out. As I'm my father...hoarding for the inevitable use 10 years from now...if I find it. As in I currently need a tire tread depth measure tool...it's somewhere...but I'll just buy a new one as it'll be faster and they're like $5.

You can jack under the suspension on most SUVs. Looks like a dog peeing but let's you use your existing tools.

Edit:
Changed diff fluid on wifes car. Didnt look bad (dark with some sparkles but no chunks and magnet didnt have too much on it). Diagostic continues.
Was there a problem? I've never changed diff fluid except on my Wing. That said I racked up about 650K between two manual transmission toyotas and never changed the tranny fluid.

Was there a problem? I've never changed diff fluid except on my Wing. That said I racked up about 650K between two manual transmission toyotas and never changed the tranny fluid.
I was expecting chunks to confirm diagnosis. No chunks. Maybe not quite at that point yet. Pinion backs off and ruins gear mesh. Things get tighter and tighter until boom. Car has 160K km on it so not a bad idea to change it. Doesn't take long if it is up enough to get under the vehicle.

Since it was in the way, used the opportunity to drop the spare (cable screwed up as expected) and add air as it was low as expected (valve was up so I couldn't check/fill it, now mounted valve down).

$2000 delivered
Too rich for my blood. I might end up building something with plywood, 2x and casters. I had my project bike on this stand for most of the last few months: https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-1-4-ton-4-in-1-multi-purpose-jack/product/PA0008936932

It was never very stable, and the casters did not roll very smoothly on the concrete pad in front of the garage I have to work on (because the garage is jam packed). The thought is if I had a stand just big enough for the bike I want to work on, it could live on the stand during the week. If I built some storage underneath then I could actually save space in the garage.

Last edited:
This weekend I accomplished a lot for myself. I knew I need to get project bike on its wheels for the winter. Reinstalled suspension linkage, jury rigged a crummy dust seal for the shock unit out of electrical tape, installed swing arm and rear wheel.

I am sure that would be a half hour for some of you guys, but I was pleased I didn’t lose any of the parts (that I know of) in the 2-3 month process this was for me. I did have to go through the process a few times, like when I had everything installed and learned I need to put the chain on before installing the swingarm. The guys who wrote those service manuals know what they’re talking about !

I was so happy that the bike actually rolls and the rear brakes seem to work… although they are grabbing, not sure why.

But after all that, I forgot to actually check if the suspension is frozen though… was the original reason for me to look at it. Doh.

Back
Top Bottom