What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 48 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Laundry room, not garage. Clothes dryer died, no heat.

Wife: it’s over 15 years old, all the plastic is faded, it served a good life, let’s replace it.

I figure it can’t be too hard, take a crack at it. Pull all the panels off, dig into diagnosing.
Thermal fuse ok
Thermostat/cutoff ok
Control boards seem to test ok
Heating coil….. open line/no continuity. Ahah. Pull it out, coil physically broken (assuming age/cycle fatigue).

Amazon, $40 and a few days later, we’re back up and running.

Feels good keeping an old appliance going for cheap. Wife is also ‘satisfied’ with the money saved (although not so subtlety disappointed about not getting a shiny new one)
:unsure::unsure: Hmm I'm having a similar problem with my dryer, actually for a while. First load is good. Second it only is half dried. Maybe I should look at it.

:unsure::unsure: Hmm I'm having a similar problem with my dryer, actually for a while. First load is good. Second it only is half dried. Maybe I should look at it.
Could be something as simple as the venting. Mine was icing up. Dryer stopped throwing heat. I thought I'd have to pull it apart and check the heating coil. Sad part is I was in there a couple months back to replace the belt, tensioner, and drum wheels.
Cleaned it out and everything worked fine.

Check the obvious first.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Sensor dry or time dry? Try time dry for two similar loads and see if the second load is worse. That can change where to look.

As per matt365, when was last time vent was cleaned? I have solid vent pipe and snake it once a year with brushes and am amazed at how much crap comes out every time. Dry time drops significantly after snaking. Maybe I should do it twice a year but amazon HDPE rods aren't great and at least one dies every time. I'm going to need to buy new rods soon as I'm running out.

Sensor dry or time dry? Try time dry for two similar loads and see if the second load is worse. That can change where to look.

As per matt365, when was last time vent was cleaned? I have solid vent pipe and snake it once a year with brushes and am amazed at how much crap comes out every time. Dry time drops significantly after snaking. Maybe I should do it twice a year but amazon HDPE rods aren't great and at least one dies every time. I'm going to need to buy new rods soon as I'm running out.
What's an HDPE rod, and what is it used for (in the context of vent sweeping)?

What's an HDPE rod, and what is it used for (in the context of vent sweeping)?
Polyethylene rods that screw together to drive the brush. Slippery and flexible so you can push the brush around corners. Not very strong so they have a tendency to wind up and twist themselves apart (also being an amazon product some came with ends that weren't fully threaded).

One possible contributing factor is that some handy people are also nerdy, and nerds generally have less kids than non-nerds.
Doesn't that compound the problem? Doesn't that mean breeders are not normally nerds and not normally handy? That should mean (in general) they make less, have trouble fixing things themselves and have more kids. Not an ideal situation.

Do you snake it while the dryer is running? (ie..are you a REAL man?) :)

Doesn't that compound the problem? Doesn't that mean breeders are not normally nerds and not normally handy? That should mean (in general) they make less, have trouble fixing things themselves and have more kids. Not an ideal situation.
Yep, you're right. I am no longer capable of semi-complex thought lately. That time of year.....

Could be something as simple as the venting. Mine was icing up. Dryer stopped throwing heat. I thought I'd have to pull it apart and check the heating coil. Sad part is I was in there a couple months back to replace the belt, tensioner, and drum wheels.
Cleaned it out and everything worked fine.

Check the obvious first.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
I'll check that out, thanks!

I mostly use sensor dry. First load is good, then second is not. I switch to timed dry to complete the drying.

Also have a solid pipe from the dryer to the wall output. I'll clean them both out, since I am alreay working in that room with my floor drain might as well do this too!

Feels good keeping an old appliance going for cheap. Wife is also ‘satisfied’ with the money saved (although not so subtlety disappointed about not getting a shiny new one)

Our 15 year old w / d combo were replaced about a year ago. I figured that they did about 5,000 loads. Set before that was 15 years old as well and did about 7,000 loads. Sales guy at Home Depot who sold us the new combo laughed when told these numbers and said we'd get about 6 - 7 years out of the new set before something went wrong and they'd have to be replaced as it would likely be too expensive to repair them. Our new dry has bluetooth notification that the load is done, what a completely useless feature IMO.

I shouldn't be so hard on myself. Yesterday I used y=mx + b for something work related (steam temperature vs. pressure)
Oooh, steam, awesome. I have a copy of Marks Mechanical Handbook from 1941 that was gifted to me by a friend of my grandmothers. It has all sorts of cool stuff in it that is far from common knowledge now (like which whale blubber is best for lubricating steam seals).

The Onion had a somewhat prophetic take on this that might have been proven uncomfortably true in the last handful of years. Check the publish date: Study: Uneducated Outbreeding Intelligentsia 2-To-1

The Onion had a somewhat prophetic take on this that might have been proven uncomfortably true in the last handful of years. Check the publish date: Study: Uneducated Outbreeding Intelligentsia 2-To-1
That pattern has been the case for a long time. A combination of blissful ignorance and government support making breeding a viable career choice. One of my teachers had adopted a half dozen special needs kids as each one came with a monthly cheque. I don't think he was in if for the kids. He had a nice corvette though.

As the "required" education to get an office job continues to increase, "intelligentsia" has a harder time pumping out kids even if they wanted to. The kids in Lindsay get a good start at 16 to 18 and could easily have grandkids before the "intelligentsia" gets started on kids. More kids per generation and a generation that is approximately half the length and things diverge quickly.

That pattern has been the case for a long time. A combination of blissful ignorance and government support making breeding a viable career choice. One of my teachers had adopted a half dozen special needs kids as each one came with a monthly cheque. I don't think he was in if for the kids. He had a nice corvette though.

As the "required" education to get an office job continues to increase, "intelligentsia" has a harder time pumping out kids even if they wanted to. The kids in Lindsay get a good start at 16 to 18 and could easily have grandkids before the "intelligentsia" gets started on kids. More kids per generation and a generation that is approximately half the length and things diverge quickly.
There's a great talk on how education and healthcare will tend to limit the peak world population, simply because more people will understand that kids are really frigging expensive, and you don't need as many of them to work on the farm if more of them tend to survive childhood.

That's a total thread derail though, sorry. Back to dryer stuff. I actually just replaced a dryer bearing last week to fix an annoying squeak, but ended up with an intermittent shudder that shakes the whole floor. Going to go rip it apart now and see what's up with that. It's like a fine musical instrument that needs to be tuned for the right harmonics...

As per matt365, when was last time vent was cleaned? I have solid vent pipe and snake it once a year with brushes and am amazed at how much crap comes out every time. Dry time drops significantly after snaking.
I've always used my leaf blower, from the inside - out, of course.

Back
Top Bottom