What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

I bought a couple of sheds for sleds and ATV's...I swore I'd never store anything outdoors...but something has to give. It's not fun when something breaks and I have to play Twister to get back and forth to tool boxes. It's quite dangerous actually.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
I got tired of the same -- too many small boxes. I bought myself 1 big tool box for fathers day. Not the best quality but it will do for my garage -- HomeDepot in Markham is blowing them out for $300.

Damn, that is cheap. It's $777 near me (which is still cheap for a box that big).
Call the Markham Rd and 14th Ave store in Markham. They had 9 units Sunday, there were still some there yesterday.

Parked the FJR in the garage after a three day, 1994km jaunt... She'll need a bath.
LOF and new battery for my FJR tonight -- she's going through the highlands this weekend -- her first romp of the season.

'Moved the FJR handle bars back/closer towards me one notch to see if it'll give me a bit more of an upright riding position... I'm getting old Lol.
It's only about an 8mm change, but sitting on the bike in the garage I do feel as if I'm sitting straighter/more upright.
I'll go for a ride later and see if the adjustment makes any real difference.
'Been thinking about going the bar riser route to bring the grips up and back which should increase comfort for my long haul rides, but if this minor change helps I can spend that $ on strippers and cake.

New shoes... Well one new shoe so far. Bridgestone Battlax T31 GT's

I'll do the front tomorrow. 'Thought I'd replace my rear brake pads while I was down there, but... After 28000 km it doesn't look like I've been using my rear brakes too much.. Lol.
Still lots of pad material there so, I'll save the new ones for another time. It'll be interesting to see the front pads.. 'Have a set ready if they need to be replaced. Heading to Vancouver in about three weeks so... A little maintenance is in order.

The stiffer side wall of the GT made for a bit of an effort to mount, but... Some patience and a lot of lube got the job done. Balancing done as well.
4h2nwp.jpg

Ready to re install the rim/tire.
v32i5x.jpg

Ahhhhhh…. 'Nothin like the smell of new rubber.
fbfez5.jpg

Nice setup in your garage, especially that tire changer. I'm about halfway through a set of Avons and have a set of the T31's, the rear a GT as well, waiting to go on. Hoping for better mileage than the T30 and T30 EVO at 7,500 and 10,000 KM respectively

Did my oil/filter change as the bike has 5,000 km on it so far this year and it's going to the cottage for the next 4 months. Rear brake caliper pins looked seized up a bit so 10 minute pad check became 2 hour wheel off and clean up job on the rear brakes.

Hoping for better mileage than the T30 and T30 EVO at 7,500 and 10,000 KM respectively

T30GT's are what I'm replacing...
Milage on them is about 14500km.
Still good tread depth, but the rear is a bit squared off and the front is camber worn to the point that I just dont like it. Still... good tread depth, just worn enough to irritate me.
Tires are cheap. Change 'em often.

Front wheel off...
2znnw37.jpg

Front rim ready for new shoe...
ih4947.jpg

All buttoned back up and ready to roll...
1i05dx.jpg

'Turns out the front brake pads have plenty of life left in 'em so... Pad change postponed.

Tonight I cleared space for the new toolbox and got around to running and overhead airlines and electrical drop in my bike fixing area - no more stumbling over cables and airhose.

Also had to start hunting a no-crank electrical gremlin on the FJR, started peeling plastic. Will tend to than then reorganize parking for the girls, need to make it easier to get them out of the barn.

Wife asked me to get some for-sale signs... she's calling me on a promise than anything that doesn't get ridden for 2 years needs to leave. Uggh!

After 5 track events, my R3 race bike has a list of things to do, which I started today.

Wash off the oil that I was sprayed with when another rider's oil cooler blew. Done. (This could have been worse, no one went down before they red flagged the session.)

Troubleshoot flakey quickshifter. I checked the circuit function with a meter today, no fault found. I don't know what's going on with this.

Flush brake fluid. That's next. (edit: done.)

Oil change.

Tires.

Last edited:
Gave the FJR a once over and packed a few items in one pannier... Prep for a little three day jaunt starting tomorrow morning.

308upeg.jpg

Planning on something very similar for this September.
Any thoughts or suggestions based on your experience?
I’m concerned about fuel through the wildlife reserve.
I’m on a Tracer 900 GT.

Cheers

Rob

I’m concerned about fuel through the wildlife reserve.
I’m on a Tracer 900 GT.

Cheers

Rob

I don't know what kind of range a Tracer 900GT gets out of a tank of gas, but... There's only about 285km between Maniwaki and Val d'Or.
'Fill up, in Maniwaki, or Val d'or depending on which direction you're going and ride...

Looking at the Google Maps... There's an Ultramar gas station at the north end of the park and an Esso at the south end.... 175km apart
You gotta be able to get at least that far on a tank..?

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of range a Tracer 900GT gets out of a tank of gas, but... There's only about 285km between Maniwaki and Val d'Or.
'Fill up, in Maniwaki, or Val d'or depending on which direction you're going and ride...

Looking at the Google Maps... There's an Ultramar gas station at the north end of the park and an Esso at the south end.... 175km apart
You gotta be able to get at least that far on a tank..?

Yeah, I looked at that as well...just thought I’d confirm with someone who had recently returned from there.

We normally go south to NY and PA for our longer trips, but something about this region is calling out to be ridden this summer.

Any other recommendations on good food stops or accommodations?

I was looking for Air BnBs in the region but most are longer-stay due to the short season for renting (which is completely understandable)

Cheers,

Rob

I finished putting the wing back together, new tires. There is a way of doing the rear one without removing the bags but I had trouble finding the source of info I used last time.

I ended up watching a bunch of redneck videos with the same concept. They show how to take something apart and then cover reassembly by saying "Just do the same thing in reverse". OK Any twit with a set of wrenches can start pulling off bolts until a 70 pound assembly drops on the ground. However gravity doesn't reverse itself when it's time to put it back, aligning the various attachments and engaging splines. Patience is a virtue.

Added some oil to the bike. I'm going to do a full oil change later, before the big trip.

Spent a few hours in the garage yesterday. New brakes all the way around on the van, new rear upper shock mounts on the mazda 3. Fixed the a/c on the van also.
Then pulled out the husqvarna, fresh oil, air filter and adjusted the shifter to work with my mx boots.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Today:
- Rear brakes on Daughter's Jetta
- FJR: new solenoid, coolant and hydraulic fluid flush & change

Tomorrow:
- 6V to 12v conversion on SP125, change signals and headlight to LED

Back
Top Bottom