What are your thoughts on make-up? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are your thoughts on make-up?

knowledge

Site Supporter
No, not for me :p

Disclaimer: it's a bit of a read, but I think it's a pretty interesting topic/won't bore you too much. Skip to the tl;dr at the bottom if you absolutely refuse to read it :p
----------------
I remember a while back, Roasted and I had an argument about whether or not girls have been getting better-looking (vs. 50 years ago). I was saying that genetics has made things average out (back in the day, there were a lot of ugly people, some alright people, and very few beautiful ones vs. now there are some ugly, a lot of alright, and some beautiful). But he was saying that it's all make-up.

After thinking about it and observing for a while, I still think that it has improved, but that he's probably more right...make-up's scary as hell.

Personally, I think a lot of girls are fine without make-up and I'd take a consistent 7 over a chick who turns into a dime with it but drops down to a 6 without it. It actually scares the **** out of me how deceiving this stuff is. It's like going clubbing and then seeing all the girls outside the club in actual lighting. I was seeing this model last year who was an easy 9 - we had a talk about make-up and I was saying how it's such a turn-off for me. Next time we went out, she didn't wear make-up and she turned into a 6. I was out of there so quick. lmao. (& I'm not a dick...but it's scary when there's that big of a difference. And to be fair, she was also a little bit too clingy/wasn't doing it for me intellectually.)

I've been talking to a lot of chicks about it, and the number one reason seems to be that they use it to even out their complexion. But guys don't wear make-up...and there are better ways of evening out your complexion - like actually evening out your complexion (lol). Read: Wear a hat & let the rest of your face catch up to your forehead. On top of that, a lot of guys don't even take care of themselves...so even minimum prep on a chick already puts them way ahead. Another common reason is that a lot of girls feel naked without it. But what does that say about their self-esteem? & again, a good portion of the girls who feel like they need it, honestly don't.There's nothing sexy about your face being like 50 shades darker than your neck or having a layer of make-up skin rub onto my shirt/seeing that crap rub off all over their collars. Granted, there's a lot of bs pressure on girls to focus on appearance...wtf, make-up :mad:

tl;dr What are your thoughts on make-up? Guys? (And the very few) Ladies? Is make-up sort of like a necessary evil that we just need to learn to accept? (As a side-note: I also find that it explains why a lot of alright-looking dudes get with seemingly-gorgeous chicks. After the make-up comes off...they're in pretty close leagues.)

Last edited:
I like makeup on women, for a few reasons. Done right, it helps highlight positives, downplay negatives. It shows some effort went into looking good for the occasion. And I'm also old enough to have grown up at a time when women wouldn't dream of leaving the house without it, so it's the norm for me. As long as it's done well and not laid on with a trowel, I think it's fine. And being married for quite a number of years, the makeup/no makeup thing isn't a big deal.
More than makeup though, is just how women (and men) dress. People are such utter slobs. Wrinkled, baggy, untucked, sloppy, fat, slouching, shuffling, lazy slobs. It says not only do I not care about what you think, I don't even care about what I think. And in this one thing at least, Toronto is the centre of the universe. No bright colours, no individual style. If there's a trend that was current in NY or LA 3 years ago, it's big in TO now.

its gross. most girls look better, waaay better without it. Its too bad they don't think so though

if i can tell she's wearing make up from 20 feet away, she has too much on.

make up is a lie. one of my best friends wears too much make up.. the odd time i see her without it my reaction is always wow, you look like ****!

I've never been too impressed with women who feel compelled to put on their face - it's an unnatural boost. IMO, there's nothing wrong with a little mascara. The rest can be reserved for special occasions ie lipstick and a bit of color for the cheeks. That's what my wife does.

Last edited:
I think there are some web sites that show pics of the hot stars with and without makeup. Some are pretty ordinary soccer moms without.

In the short term who cares but in the long term I've heard a lot of guys get turned off by the reality.

You would be quite surprised how advanced good makeup is these days. Even close up you could be fooled. Some makeup is waterproof and airbrushed on so thin that anyone can have a flawless face...for a price. Cheap makeup will rub off. Women gross each other out by wearing too much too. I can't even look at a picture of Snooki.

Daily self tanners tend to even things out too, but I'm afraid of the chemicals in those.

Makeup in its place. I find mascara annoying. It clumps and flakes and is more trouble than it is worth somwtimes. I will wear a tinted lip gloss and some concealer under eyes if I'm looking tired. A little application of foundation can be a confidence booster when you've had a late night or find a red patch, but full on makeup, for me, is party wear or a photo shoot.

Besides, it rubs off in my helmet, lol!

My bf is not a fan of makeup...I find for me going to work I will use a little blush and thats it! I never wear cover up...and If I am heading out for a night out then I will do my eyes/gloss, I only use it as an enhancement....I cannot stand when you can see orange lines on girls necks or so much makeup caked on.....it looks unnatural...

Its amazing how many models dont look that great when someone isnt airbrusing them for 6 hours.

Jenn

Make-up has the ability to make women look stunning, but it's true that it's effectively a lie. Not only that, but feeling *compelled* to do up your face before venturing out into public definitely says something about your self-image. So to me, it's something nice you do for yourself when you're dressing up all fancy, but not something you "wear" everyday. I'm not your average chick though, and I don't work a job that particularly encourages it, so it's just mho.

I can't remember what I said but I probably mentioned things like better cosmetic dentistry, better overall hygiene products, better diet (lol, ok, maybe not), etc. on top of "advances" in makeup making the average woman of today look more attractive than the average of 50 years ago. I honestly have NOTHING against women wearing a little makeup as long as they don't go overboard. Us men think with our eyes, women with their ears. That's why men lie and women wear makeup. ;)

the odd time i see her without it my reaction is always wow, you look like ****!

Gee I wonder why she feels the need to wear it all the time.

Make up is a weird topic. In one thread, you have guys going on about training their wives, with quite a few mentions of how she should always be made up.
Yet in this thread, you have guys complaining about women that wear too much.

I think make up is a great tool to make yourself look better on certain occasions. I know some people that won't go without it, and others who never wear it. I'm a happy medium. I'm not wearing it every day, but when I go out, out to dinner, etc I'll slap some on.

Done properly it highlights things as opposed to creating a whole new face.

I can't remember what I said but I probably mentioned things like better cosmetic dentistry, better overall hygiene products, better diet (lol, ok, maybe not), etc. on top of "advances" in makeup making the average woman of today look more attractive than the average of 50 years ago. I honestly have NOTHING against women wearing a little makeup as long as they don't go overboard. Us men think with our eyes, women with their ears. That's why men lie and women wear makeup. ;)

Whole other thread but I'd argue our diets are SO much worse now than they were 50 years ago it's not even funny!

Hence the "LOL" ;)

Make up is a weird topic. In one thread, you have guys going on about training their wives, with quite a few mentions of how she should always be made up.

Yeah, that's the thing. Men want a woman that will look like a movie star. Than ***** about a girl wearing makeup to look better when even the movie stars do.

Than there is women that drool over a fit guy but when they meet one they blow him off cause "he spends too much time at the gym". Or better yet, claim he cares too much about how he looks. LOL Hypocrisy all over the place.

Don't get me wrong though, I hate the cake on face as much as the next guy. Moderation is the key.

First and foremost, I'd just like to state that I opened up this thread fully expecting you to be asking whether or not men should be wearing make-up, and if so, what's an acceptable amount for you to be wearing out in public. Thank Zeus it isn't, because I was getting a little worried about you.

With regards to make-up; the women I find attractive are usually the ones that use make-up to highlight their natural features. It can be as minimal as it needs to be, but odds are good that it looks fairly natural in it's own right.

I have to say, though, that I've noticed a significant change in my own personal tastes as I've gotten older. In my teens and early twenties I, like you, wanted a girl that was "all natural" and "didn't need make-up". Now that I'm older and a little bit saltier, I realize that wanting a girl that looks awesome "naturally" all of the time is akin to a woman wanting a guy that looks like Brad Pitt from the fight club but doesn't spend a lot of time in the gym. It's kinda dumb when you think about it.

Edit: Roasted beat me to it :(

My head says it is unatural and fundamentally anti-woman.

But I can't help that I react to it, if it is done well.

Whole other thread but I'd argue our diets are SO much worse now than they were 50 years ago it's not even funny!

True but there are greater extremes. Some people have shown that they can look good at 40, 50 and more. Some grannies have better figures than their granddaughters. Invest in the diabetes industry.

Some funny flashbacks.
The scene in "Back to the Future" where he asks for a Diet Coke and gets laughed at.
Marylin Monroe would be considered chubby by today's standards.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, how do gals look at guys. Generally no make up but hair work after 40ish (Wigs, implants, comb-overs or Yul Brynner copies) and some dye jobs but little make up. Shoe lifts for an extra bit of tall maybe. Guys don't have the cosmetic artillary so do the flashy toys hold their ground?

Are plumber-butt jeans a bigger turn on than an Armani suit?

Last edited:

I think make up is a great tool to make yourself look better on certain occasions. I know some people that won't go without it, and others who never wear it. I'm a happy medium. I'm not wearing it every day, but when I go out, out to dinner, etc I'll slap some on.

Done properly it highlights things as opposed to creating a whole new face.

No such mentions made by me.

99% of the time i see her she is wearing make up so that becomes "normal". The odd time i see her without it, that is the abnormal, and being used to seeing her with it makes her look like she has a cold without it. If she wore less, or minimal make up the difference would not be as pronounced.

If a girl is wearing the worlds most powerful padded pushup water bra, can you really hold it against a guy if he gets it off and thinks hey, where'd your boobs go?!

No such mentions made by me.

99% of the time i see her she is wearing make up so that becomes "normal". The odd time i see her without it, that is the abnormal, and being used to seeing her with it makes her look like she has a cold without it. If she wore less, or minimal make up the difference would not be as pronounced.

If a girl is wearing the worlds most powerful padded pushup water bra, can you really hold it against a guy if he gets it off and thinks hey, where'd your boobs go?!

That's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

But if a guy said to me "hey you look like ****" I'd tell him to eat a bag of *****. And more than likely, someone that wears that much makeup has self esteem issues to begin with. Ya it's not your problem but you don't have to be a dick about it either.

It's one of the reasons I don't wear makeup on a daily basis. If you do, it becomes the new normal and you can never go back. If you don't wear it all that often, it becomes special and has a different meaning.

I'm not a fan of wearing make-up. I prefer just putting on a matte lotion in the morning and continuing on. I only wear it if I have a zit that needs hiding, or I have an audition/shoot. Now sayign this, I do love make-up, I own way more then a normal female should. No one knows why since I never wear it, but I find it fun to play around with every now and again.

Back
Top Bottom