What Are You Currently Listening To? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Are You Currently Listening To?

To dig out of the snow, Metallica - Master of Puppets.

Seriously? For some reason I pictured you as a '70s rock guy.

I like everything but mostly listen to hip hop. 70's rock is pretty low on the list though..

gorilla zoe hood nigg*
problem like whaaat

Last edited:
I like everything but mostly listen to hip hop. 70's rock is pretty low on the list though..

gorilla zoe hood nigg*
problem like whaaat
If youre into old school hip hop, listen to Gavlyn. She's pretty good.

On topic:

He's a teenage girl heart throb -- but **** it, guy's talented; plays great guitar and has good vocals. Sue me. I rate this song as 10/10, would play at wedding.
[video=youtube;lp-EO5I60KA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-EO5I60KA[/video]

Edit: Hell I don't even care for dancing but the dancing in this video is pretty damn good too.

[video=youtube;6SO8x_j-4Iw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO8x_j-4Iw[/video]

Saw them play this live at the Riverside in Oakville back around 1980 or so, our table was maybe 10 feet from the stage, 15 feet from Nash the Slash. Guy could saw up a storm behind those wrappings.

what do you think about the taylor swift hype? Are you into her music?

http://www.statista.com/statistics/189384/top-music-artists-ranked-by-internet-streams-2010/
Just wanna revisit this question. I feel as if all Taylor Swift songs sound the same and sound a little too whiny. Gets to the point where it reminds me of mainstream rap talking about the same old **** over and over again.

I like artists who are able to change the theme once in a while and not talk about women, money and drugs throughout their whole career. Pink floyd for example, in one album managed to talk about time, death, life, money, ableism, melancholy etc etc. in ONE Album. These guys today can barely do more than one theme throughout their whole career it's embarrassing.

Anyways I looked at that list, and really the only person I thought who was actually a good artist on that list was Adele and maybe eminem (I like his meaningful, classic music like when I'm gone, 8 mile etc unfortunately his stupid music like wtp is just annoying.)

Just wanna revisit this question. I feel as if all Taylor Swift songs sound the same and sound a little too whiny.
I feel the the same about a lot of modern hip hop...so much of it is the 'urban' equivalent of this mind-numbing corporate crap...bleh...maybe i'm just getting old...
Speaking of songs sounding the same...
If you haven't heard this yet- give it a listen...classic evidence of formulaic songwriting...
http://www.riserock.com/xmas/nickelbacksucks.mp3
Not sure if someone has edited the tracks to make them match up better- but **** is this horrible and funny- even if it has been altered.

If you are into metal/jazz- listen to this to clean your ears out after that...
[video=youtube;cfPN0N9rzrk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPN0N9rzrk[/video]

I feel the the same about a lot of modern hip hop...so much of it is the 'urban' equivalent of this mind-numbing corporate crap...bleh...maybe i'm just getting old...
Speaking of songs sounding the same...
If you haven't heard this yet- give it a listen...classic evidence of formulaic songwriting...
http://www.riserock.com/xmas/nickelbacksucks.mp3
Not sure if someone has edited the tracks to make them match up better- but **** is this horrible and funny- even if it has been altered.
That's interesting. Formulaic songwriting is bound to happen with almost every band out there. Even when I write music I realize it follows a specific almost repetitive formula. But if this is a constant for bands then clearly there is something wrong and they are too lazy to change it up a bit.

RANT ALERT

What bothers me the most about artists these days is their blatant poaching of other people's songs. It's one thing to be inspired by another artist, it's another to outright poach a style for revenue.

Classic example: When Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" was super popular on the radio a year or two getting massive hits on youtube etc; you hear Bruno Mars release "Treasure" a month later which not only sounds like a song by Breakbot (which it got a lot of heat for) but also has the Daft Punk vibe which was never in Bruno Mars' style prior to that song to my knowledge (ie: Grenade, Billionaire, Marry You etc sound NOTHING like that new style he abruptly adopted) And I'm sure that from the time it was written to the time it was composed and released had a completely different sound to it pre and post Daft Punk.

It's all a competition of who can make the most money for these fools. And I get it, it's always technically been a corporation, but theres a difference between those who use music as a means to money and those who use music as an end in itself with money as a biproduct of doing what they love.

And I also get it, you're bound to hear something that sounds the exact same as something else, but pop music is a whole new ball game. There is no longer 1 writer for an artist there's like upwards of 10 different writers on an album for these guys -- I think it's their job to sneakily find a way to incorporate a once successful song with a modern twist on it for the purpose of making money.

END RANT

Anyways that jazz fusion song you posted was pretty sweet. I'll most likely pick up their album because I was really digging it.

Re: Boots post-- cue lil jon/timbaland/florida 1 beat, 5 songs each
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

you do realize the music today is created and the artists are along for the ride no control

there was an interesting interview about song writers with Aloe Blacc or (something like that)

song writers get next to nothing and have no protection
He was providing some examples of big songs I think Happy only made the 3 song writers $12k

he said the music industry went from $14b in 2000 down to $7b now and they are looking for ways to make that $7b back

Last edited:
you do realize the music today is created and the artists are along for the ride no control

there was an interesting about song writers with Aloe Blacc or something like that.

I would hardly call any of them "artists" or "musicians". Singer or entertainer, maybe. And even then, it's a stretch.
With my nephews and nieces last weekend. They were playing Xbox and listening to EDM. I asked if they had any real music....they replied that that was real music ??

RANT ALERT

:angry7::mad::(:sad7::director::sad5::?:crybaby::angry6::tongue3::violent1::angry4::protest::shock::sad10::boxing::banghead::sad11:

END RANT

Good points on the state of music. Look at any creative field, it's the same. A core group will always jump on the band wagon of sameness in order to not be left out. I'm not a student of music, I just love a good tune. I try not to question it's background.

Re: Boots post-- cue lil jon/timbaland/florida 1 beat, 5 songs each

Don't get me started on those goofs.

Relevant:
Bringing back some nostalgic feelings with this classic.
[video=youtube;My0FyN72Phc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My0FyN72Phc[/video]

there was an interesting interview about song writers with Aloe Blacc or (something like that)

song writers get next to nothing and have no protection
He was providing some examples of big songs I think Happy only made the 3 song writers $12k

he said the music industry went from $14b in 2000 down to $7b now and they are looking for ways to make that $7b back

Sorry in advance for the derail/rant...

TL/DR- Musicians- bend over.

A lot of musicians have been getting screwed for many, many years- from all directions.
From the labels 'negotiating' away the publishing on their work- to the mechanical 7 cents (or whatever it was) per song payment- that would go towards paying down the advances, recording studio and video production/all incurred debts before the artist sees a penny of profit...man---that one ****ed so many people over...now we have the rampant piracy combined with the other *** raping that has been prevalent for many years.
If i recall- the Aloe Blacc article you might be talking about was mostly about Spotify- and how they don't pay very much at all?
I think Artists (labels) can choose to pull their music from there if they don't like the income it generates- like Taylor Swift did?...but yeah- they really don't pay **** to the content creators. Pretty sad.
It really is a crappy time to be a musician. Back in the early 2000s- a lot of people were downloading a song a day on dial-up from Napster, and we knew things were going to get much worse- and they really have. High speed streaming and unlimited data has led to pretty well nothing being safe from piracy now. I remember the old 'Home taping is killing music' logos on albums- back in my youth...now you can type 'band name + the words discography torrent' into google and get anything you want in a few minutes...go onto youtube and stream a high quality file of pretty well any album you want...no need to buy anything...and we have a generation of kids with terabytes worth of music they downloaded for free - growing up where this is the norm...
I think that a contributing factor is that much of the music production side has gotten so watered down...further exacerbating the problem.
Loop discs and antares autotune on a laptop and anyone with a hair of motivation and half a hair of talent can create a pro sounding track in a few hours- adding to the general perception that music has little worth.
Not sure what the solution is- but artists for sure need to adapt if they have a shred of a chance of survival...Using crowd funding to pay for albums, videos and tours is probably the best example i've seen recently of a new way of doing things- but that only works if you have a fan base already. A lot of artists are bypassing the labels and releasing their stuff themselves now too.
For my part- I make a point of supporting the artist by purchasing my music and merch directly from them whenever possible. From their websites or at the concerts. Not much more we can do- other than encourage others to do the same.
I worked in the industry for many years- and know shitloads of musicians in all genres...you really have to be in it for the love of the music and enjoy the lifestyle these days- because even many of the bands you'd think are doing well--really aren't. I was talking to my promoter friend about this a few weeks ago and he had some crazy stories about some fairly large names who live pretty depressing lives. Not at all what most people would imagine when they see them on stage or when they listen to their music/watch videos...Guess that is 'show' business....Lots of 'fronts' and lots of horror stories of the people around the successful artists sucking the wealth teet dry as well.
I have told many of the 'we are going to make a living from it' friends to watch this...not to discourage them- but to make sure they know how hard they are going to have to work to even have a minute chance...

[video=youtube;cextxQZz28o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cextxQZz28o[/video]

Last edited:
These guys are a good example of crowd funding (and i think a pretty unique sounding band).
They raised $53,000 toward making videos for their last album.

[video=youtube;2R_knwTUVbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_knwTUVbE[/video]

I would hardly call any of them "artists" or "musicians". Singer or entertainer, maybe. And even then, it's a stretch.
With my nephews and nieces last weekend. They were playing Xbox and listening to EDM. I asked if they had any real music....they replied that that was real music 

Your nieces and nephews were accurate :)

I was recently listening to the host Wade MacNeil (Alexisonfire) of The Edge 102.1, and he was talking about how he has been literally round the world and seen concerts and shows of all kinds for years as a musician, and he added that he got caught off guard at the Digital Dreams of Toronto in the summer. He said that the energy level and connection in the crowd was nothing like he's ever seen, and couldn't believe how 50,000 people were moved/jumped by a guy with just a laptop.

Like it or not, EDM is running on a whole new dimension in the GLOBAL arena. It's not bounded by obstacles of languages, countries, borders, or cultures. It's made its way to the radio too, and I guess these are the reasons why people call it the new pop, except it's going bigger.

I dislike EDM as much as the next grumpy old guy, but there is no denying its presence.

Not exactly EDM territory, but might as well share something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lu9RqONtgw

I usually don't much care for EDM, but I do like keyboards, acoustic and electronic. I also like soaring vocals. This has both.

[video=youtube;i5getrSq6G8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5getrSq6G8[/video]

For me, there is a time and place for all music. EDM, while chilling on the sofa, doesn't do it for me.
But I'm not much of an authority on the subject, as I am a huge fan of 80's music. Reminds me of my youth, I guess. Do love how my 11 year old is able to quote Lyrics from Genesis, Duran Duran and Loverboy, though! :p

Back
Top Bottom