what adapter do i need to connect portable air compressor to this tire gauge? | GTAMotorcycle.com

what adapter do i need to connect portable air compressor to this tire gauge?

iblastoff

my cheap portable air compressor connects to a standard shrader valve.

i've always had a separate tire gauge to measure with. i'd fill a tire. take off the compressor. check it with air gauge. take it off and repeat.

i recently bought this tire gauge from Princess Auto that lets me connect an air source directly to it:

71nV3XLyw5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i did a quick readup on all the air compressor adapters but i'm still not sure what i need to connect these two? im finding it confusing. is it even possible with my compressor? from what i understand, the tire gauge has an M connection. so i need some sort of M style coupler between it and my air compressor.

can someone tell me what exactly i need? (or tell me im dumb and this type of compressor isn't compatible or something)

You can get a shrader valve with NPT on the other end. I have seen them on AliExpress. Your gauge is probably 1/4 or 3/8ths NPT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've always had a separate tire gauge to measure with. i'd fill a tire. take off the compressor. check it with air gauge. take it off and repeat.

i recently bought this tire gauge from Princess Auto that lets me connect an air source directly to it:

i did a quick readup on all the air compressor adapters but i'm still not sure what i need to connect these two? im finding it confusing. is it even possible with my compressor? from what i understand, the tire gauge has an M connection. so i need some sort of M style coupler between it and my air compressor.

can someone tell me what exactly i need? (or tell me im dumb and this type of compressor isn't compatible or something)

Does the analogue gauge on your compressor not work? Or don’t you trust it?

You can unscrew that fitting from your gauge. The other end is harder. Van you unscrew the Schrader from you compressor? How long a hose do you want compressor to gage? Its sounds like a tiny compressor so I'd be inclined to put a permanent 3' whip on the gage to a qr fitting and replace the Schrader on the compressor with the compatible qr fitting.

Edit:
Just looked at the compressor. I wouldn't put any qr's in the system, even a tiny leak will make it a deflator. Hose whip female pipe thread to male Schrader. It's not going to be that easy to find and may cost as much as your gauge. Do you really need this to work now? I would rather put the money towards a compressor with a tank and a qr. If you get lucky and you can pull two pieces out of the gauge, this part might work. https://www.amazon.ca/Milton-Indust...ocphy=9104161&hvtargid=pla-435504239970&psc=1

Last edited:
Does the analogue gauge on your compressor not work? Or don’t you trust it?

i don't trust it. the gauge and needle is super small and i find it gives me a 'range of accuracy'.

if i inflate it to 36'ish PSI using the built-in gauge and then test it with my other gauges (assuming they're more accurate but i guess i cant say for sure), i found it can give me a reading thats off by 5'ish PSI.

You can unscrew that fitting from your gauge. The other end is harder. Van you unscrew the Schrader from you compressor? How long a hose do you want compressor to gage? Its sounds like a tiny compressor so I'd be inclined to put a permanent 3' whip on the gage to a qr fitting and replace the Schrader on the compressor with the compatible qr fitting.

Edit:
Just looked at the compressor. I wouldn't put any qr's in the system, even a tiny leak will make it a deflator. Hose whip female pipe thread to male Schrader. It's not going to be that easy to find and may cost as much as your gauge. Do you really need this to work now? I would rather put the money towards a compressor with a tank and a qr. If you get lucky and you can pull two pieces out of the gauge, this part might work. https://www.amazon.ca/Milton-Indust...ocphy=9104161&hvtargid=pla-435504239970&psc=1

nope i cant unscrew the shrader from the compressor. its definitely a cheap little thing. i dont mind having to remove the compressor and then check with an external gauge each time, but now owning multiple bikes i just want to do things as quick as possible.

i might just get a new compressor that i can just plug into the wall too because my current system of "start my car just to power the portable air compressor" is super annoying haha. i know there are ac/dc converters for the cigarette socket but i question how much they can handle (especially the cheap ones i see on amazon)

that part *looks* like it could work though!

Last edited:

I have this PT inflator and it's great with a typical air compressor. But if you try to use this with your portable compressor, you’ll be holding that trigger for a LONG time.

Do you have any Rigid 18v battery powered tools? I’d recommend this portable compressor with set and forget hands free operation and also 12v operation for $59 to replace what you have now:

i don't trust it. the gauge and needle is super small and i find it gives me a 'range of accuracy'.

if i inflate it to 36'ish PSI using the built-in gauge and then test it with my other gauges (assuming they're more accurate but i guess i cant say for sure), i found it can give me a reading thats off by 5'ish PSI.

nope i cant unscrew the shrader from the compressor. its definitely a cheap little thing. i dont mind having to remove the compressor and then check with an external gauge each time, but now owning multiple bikes i just want to do things as quick as possible.

i might just get a new compressor that i can just plug into the wall too because my current system of "start my car just to power the portable air compressor" is super annoying haha. i know there are ac/dc converters for the cigarette socket but i question how much they can handle (especially the cheap ones i see on amazon)

that part *looks* like it could work though!

I’m really happy with this one…currently on sale for $40 on Amazon.

80ba6ea130f7a0f276de8337a32cad07.jpg

You need this adapter for your new guage.

1649969559600.png

Does that PT unit let you over inflate and release air to what you want. I have a cheap pencil gauge and an air chuck. It's always a back and forth fiddle diddle.

Does that PT unit let you over inflate and release air to what you want. I have a cheap pencil gauge and an air chuck. It's always a back and forth fiddle diddle.
Button on the side under the gauge will dump air. If you didnt have the button, inflate too much (painful with his compressor but this is a theoretical discussion), disconnect hose and use trigger to bleed air until you get your number. Gauge will only be accurate when trigger is released.

Yes, the button by the trigger is for deflating. I love this thing, as I can use it without my reading glasses. Also has backlighting for use in darker conditions.

You're using a tire inflator. As Mad Mike suggested, you need a compressor.

Go buy this at Rona, on clearance, six units in stock at the Golden Mile store in Scarborough, $172: Metabo HPT Single Stage Twin Stack Air Compressor - Portable - 4 Gallons

47964175_24.jpg

10738809.jpg

3.1 CFM (90 PSI), 3.05 CFM (100 PSI) is plenty for inflating and changing tires. It could even run some pneumatic equipment which doesn't require continuous high volume.

Similar looking and more expensive units deliver only 0.5 - 0.7 CFM @90psi which is significantly less and very wimpy. Stay away.

Back
Top Bottom