Western Canada flying tour | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Western Canada flying tour

Thanks everyone for the replies and route ideas. FWIW, I'm fully aware that this won't be an in depth exploration of any particular region. My goal with this trip is to ride through as much of Canada as I can. This will of course mean that I'll be passing quickly through some areas that would be great to explore at a more casual pace. And maybe I'll do that in future trips.

I've done many 800km days on the KLR without too much pain, so I'm assuming that the 'wing will make it possible to string together some 1000km days, especially on the way out west when I'm still fresh.

So far, I'm looking at zipping up to Lake Superior Prov Park on day 1, then over to Kenora, Saskatoon, Fort Mac and Dawson Creek. After that, who knows for sure but I figure I'll slow down and spend a few days poking around central/southern BC before heading back east, probably avoiding the highway as much as I can and following a more southerly route on the way back. I plan on bringing my passport but I'll probably stay north of 60 most of the trip, just because.

Of course, I've never done more than 100m on a goldwing, so I'll have to wait and see how my shakedown tours in the spring impact my plans.

Merry Christmas
??

Reactions: J_F
MM
ur a madman.

•••

OP ...not bad on 1k days....long daylight in June.

Last edited:
I've done many 800km days on the KLR without too much pain, so I'm assuming that the 'wing will make it possible to string together some 1000km days, especially on the way out west when I'm still fresh.

The wing is more than capable of eating mileage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When you're on the road, you can crank up the stereo, watch some Netflix...

Flew to Vancouver this year and rented a bike for 8 days, 3,750 KMs of pure smiles. Thanks to AirMiles that paid for my flight. I am not sure why more people don't rave about the amazing roads and scenery, truly breathtaking.

Flew to Vancouver this year and rented a bike for 8 days, 3,750 KMs of pure smiles. Thanks to AirMiles that paid for my flight. I am not sure why more people don't rave about the amazing roads and scenery, truly breathtaking.

Could have something to do with the bike you rented.
;)

The ferry to NFLD is easy.......the short ferry you board at 11pm, land at P of B at 8am. A few beers and a nice sleep. The long ferry from Argentia is 16 hours leaving at 3ish and back to Syndney about 7am?? Again you sleep! Its only 20 hours to Sydney the boring way. not much longer doing the Cabot Trail.
Flying to Calgary or Vancouver and renting is a no brainer. Eagle Rider is my best experience for rentals. Bike riders in BC are sooo spoiled, absolutely the best province in Canada to ride imo.

I've done the fly to Vancouver, rent a car and explore BC roads thing 3 times, about 6,000 km in total and the roads are amazing.

If you really want to ride across Canada then fine, up to you, but I'd recommend a fly in, bike rental and then spend 10 - 14 days riding back roads. This will be far less expensive than buying a GW, spending 2 - 3 weeks on the road and then having only a few days to ride some of the best roads in the country.

'Done GTA to Okanagan Vally by FJR in 2018 and 2019... probably do it again in 2020.

It's a blast... Have fun

$2800 for 17 days including insurance plus a return flight. Pretty steep for me.

That's a Triumph Tiger - not much more than a CB500x and lots more fun.

Lot of things I could do with that money.

vs
$1300 for bike flight and one way flight....then a 5-6 day run home which adds $600 ish ...but is still decent riding up over Superior.
I'm also footloose on the way back which has its benefits. :unsure:

Think I'm riding to the East Coast this June by way of the US ...some good riding in the North East . :coffee:

As Macdoc mentioned, the ride from Jasper to Banff mustn't be missed. The Icefields Parkway, surely one of the most spectacular rides/drives in all of North America.

Figure a way to work it into the schedule; you'll be glad you did.

Yeah that road is wonderful except for traffic. We were giving drivers fits as go fast kid passed them safely then commed back to me so I could pass blind :D.

Just a lovely ride but very hard to put into a short trip.
Of all the roads 99 is the must do as a rider.
Bow Valley parkway between Jasper and Banff for scenery and wildlife.

Just so much out there, Now you are making me change my plans again..... :unsure: :coffee:

Yup was more referring the general area between the two book end parks.

Things are coming together nicely. I bought a very good condition '97 Goldwing a couple of weeks ago. After spending some time going over it in the shop, I think it will do very nicely indeed.

When I told my boss what that I was planning a big 2 week trip out west he said 'that doesn't seem like enough time, why don't you take a month?' OK, twist my arm :)

So, the bones of the plan are the same but now I've got some extra time to flesh things out a bit. Seems a shame to go all the way out west and not be able to say that I've ridden to all of the Provinces and Territories, so I think I'll add in a few days to pop up to Yellowknife and Whitehorse while I'm at it. Lots of time now to meander through the Rockies on my way South.

Getting excited!

Back
Top Bottom