West Jet now ships your bike to Europe | GTAMotorcycle.com

West Jet now ships your bike to Europe

They are pretty solid for Europe bit of pulling teeth for Canada but basically you can get your bike Toronto to Calgary for flat rate $695 US including all taxes and dangerous goods. $940 Cdn versus about $150 more for Air Canada.
In Canada your bike is covered by whatever insurance you have on it.

SHIPPING RATES & PORTS | Motorcycle Express

Motorcycle Express

Contact
Michael Mandell <mikem@motorcycleexpress.com>

Carrie Drazek
International Services Department
Motorcycle Express

carried@motorcycleexpress.com
Phone (800) 245-8726 (within US/Canada)

Office Hours Monday through Friday 9am - 5pm

Bike to the airport the day ahead
They send you a packet with information - waybills etc and some important sticker to put on the bike.
GTA World Cargo 2710 Britannia Rd E
Cargo 2 Door 7 Mississauga 905-671-4443 ext 1 hours 24/7
1/4 tank of gas. unlocked luggage. battery disconnected and lead taped.
List of items on the bike - in the luggage - no electronics.

When you get to Calgary you pick the bike up at Menzies Aviation
It is suggested and I am doing ..... shipping the bike a day ahead of your flight to Calgary
Since the drop off is 24/7 makes it a bit easier to drop the bike and get a lift or Uber home.
I'm carrying my helmet and a carry on bag with my electronics.

How far is Menzies from the domestic terminal?
Not Far, located where all the commercial/Cargo terminals are. Usually and inter Airport bus will transport from passenger terminal to cargo.

Will the bike be out and ready to ride? ( I have a 560 km day ahead of me on arrival in Calgary in the morning )
It will be ready to ride, all you have to do in re-connect battery. Since there is almost a gallon of fuel in the bike, it is more than enough to get to the airport gas stations.

I think that's it - will let you know how it works out quite shortly.

Last edited:
Oh c'mon ... I'd fly on a 737 Max in a heartbeat. The problem is clear and fixed ....the rest is paperwork.
It did however point out failing in the oversight for "modified" planes so there will be changes there.
Boeing was lax in training, documentation and providing a failsafe cutout to let the pilot over ride the auto-pilot,.......and they will pay for that big time.

The shipping goes many places ....what I posted about Calgary will apply to other destinations with a few differences as I'm only flying one way and don't need clearance.

Motorcycle Express is handling the WestJet Program

Air Canada you do it direct with them.

Wow, the price to Europe is kinda crazy. $1450 usd to get there and $1550 USD for the return. So about $4k cad to get the bike there. Unless you really really want to ride your own bike, seems rather pointless when you can rent a BMW 1250GS for half the price for 2 weeks. Good to know and glad it's there...

$1450 usd to get there and $1550 USD for the return. So about $4k cad to get the bike there. Unless you really really want to ride your own bike, seems rather pointless when you can rent a BMW 1250GS for half the price for 2 weeks

Yeah, we did the math years ago and the break-even point is a month minimum, if you want to ship your $20K+ bike over there and ride it.

And if your bike is worth less than $20K, then renting the same bike over there is the cheaper option.

Agree that unless you stay for at least a month there is no value in the hassle of transporting your bike there. While I rented a Triumph Tiger 800 for two weeks and crashed it in a curve due to a nice big oil slick combined with rain, the cost was still cheaper to rent than to transport. Highly recommend Allround Vermeitung (Allround Rental) Motorcyle Rental renting every conceivable bike possible in Frankfurt, Munich and Malaga, Spain.

I will have Yamaha 2011 FZ6R with about 25000km for sale in Croatia this summer.
It has Canadian license plates and it is in great shape. If you ever wanted to have Euro bike, this will save tons of money.
We have 2 bikes in Croatia for years now and riding Europe is amazing.

Wow, the price to Europe is kinda crazy. $1450 usd to get there and $1550 USD for the return. So about $4k cad to get the bike there. Unless you really really want to ride your own bike, seems rather pointless when you can rent a BMW 1250GS for half the price for 2 weeks. Good to know and glad it's there...
Yickes, this post answers my cost question fast. Guess it's sadly back to the Flix bus across Europe next year.

I'd try Air Canada ...last time I think was 850 to Scotland

I'm going through this right now. There's a lot of extra fees that AC charges above and beyond the base price:
AirFreight Charges from MILAN MXP to Toronto / YYZ :
Eur 1200 , in case you dont fly with an Air Canada Passenger Ticket

Additional Charges in Canada ( to be paid at final destination ) :
approx CAD 90

Additional Charges in Italy :
approx 80 Euro for Italian Custom declaration / formalities
approx 220 Euro + 22% VAT for Dangerous Goods Shipper Declaration ( DG Declaration ) to be performed latest 24hr prior to departure

If you fly with Air Canada, the rebate is €200, but the AC tickets are waaaay more expensive than €200. Typical AC ticket I could find were about $800 more than the cheapest economy tickets. More than double what it costs...

So grand total is just over $2400 CAD.

On that Motorcycle Express page, WestJet's price is $2263 CAD, and it probably doesn't cover all the additional charges above, so I'm willing to bet they priced it exactly the same as Air Canada to be competitive.

Will probably start a new thread outlining the entire process start to finish when we're all done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom