West end welder? | GTAMotorcycle.com

West end welder?

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Anyone suggest a good welder in the Mississauga area?

Over the winter I am thinking about getting a Holeshot exhaust for my bike (by Dale Walker). I'm looking at this specific pipe so I can keep my existing skidplate, centre stand and Givi side case racks. Normally Dale would ask that a customer cuts their mid pipe and send it to him to weld on a conversion pipe, which will allow the slip on to fit with no alterations to the header. To make it easier/cheaper for me, he is willing to ship me the parts, instead of me paying for shipping my headers there and back for him to do the work. Holeshot Performance Products, Inc. (side note off his website - Dale has had a pretty cool life immersed in bikes)

Overall I'm doing this, because loud pipes save lives.
Some pics below from his website of what I need to do to the pipes and a couple pics of the finished exhausts that he has for my bike.

Thoughts?

dl650slon_conv4.jpg

dl650slon_conv5.jpg

dl650slon_conv6.jpg

dl650slon_conv1.jpg

slpon_con02.jpg

slpon_con11.jpg

Attachments

• slpon_con02.jpg
    slpon_con02.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I’d pop it into a muffler shop (i.e: Zorro Muffler) as I’m sure they have ready and capable muffler welders on site.

If you have 220V connection you’re welcome to use my welder.

I’d pop it into a muffler shop (i.e: Zorro Muffler) as I’m sure they have ready and capable muffler welders on site.

If you have 220V connection you’re welcome to use my welder.
Thanks - muffler shop is a good idea.
I've never welded before so while I'm up for trying new stuff, I'd like this done right.

If you care what it is gonna look like, I would avoid a muffler shop.
A muffler shop is going to use a MIG welder and you're going to end up with a weld a lot like you see in your first picture... under that bracket, that "blobby" weld about 10mm wide. That's a MIG weld
A "welder" can use a TIG, and if he/she is good, leave you a weld about 2mm wide

... nothing against muffler shops and their welding... but they weld stuff under the car where we never look at them ever again.
... and that pipe is thinner material than they're used to to so I guarantee you he is gonna blow holes that have to be fixed that will end up even more BLOBBY
They're not known for making "nice" welds. A "welder" HAS to care about what the weld looks like.

Vangro Welding
726 Dundas St E (at Cawthra, on the south side) (Don't tell him I sent you, he'll charge you MORE)

If you want to bring it up here I'll weld it up for you.

OH
TIG and MIG are different welding processes

Not in Mississauga, however I've heard great things about Motorcycle Enhancements in Oakville...I believe the owner's name is John and they do a lot of custom work so I'm sure they could help you out...

If you care what it is gonna look like, I would avoid a muffler shop.
A muffler shop is going to use a MIG welder and you're going to end up with a weld a lot like you see in your first picture... under that bracket, that "blobby" weld about 10mm wide. That's a MIG weld
A "welder" can use a TIG, and if he/she is good, leave you a weld about 2mm wide

... nothing against muffler shops and their welding... but they weld stuff under the car where we never look at them ever again.
... and that pipe is thinner material than they're used to to so I guarantee you he is gonna blow holes that have to be fixed that will end up even more BLOBBY
They're not known for making "nice" welds. A "welder" HAS to care about what the weld looks like.

Vangro Welding
726 Dundas St E (at Cawthra, on the south side) (Don't tell him I sent you, he'll charge you MORE)

If you want to bring it up here I'll weld it up for you.

OH
TIG and MIG are different welding processes
Thanks for the info and suggestions - very helpful for the clueless in me.

The only welder I know is Jeff Arnold of Mobile Welding. Based in Toronto, but as the name implies, they're mobile. Not sure about cost, though. I bought my '89 GSX-RR basket case from him that was an ex-Suzuki Canada factory bike. I believe he did some work for them.

re: Overall I'm doing this, because loud pipes save lives.
A friendly word of warning.........
Lol I was just kidding. I firmly believe that skills, not noise saves lives.

But still the noise bylaws would be drag for sure for an overly loud exhaust.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom