Weird tire sizes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weird tire sizes

bigpoppa

Is it safe/advisable to put 190/55/17 tires on a 200/55/17?

None of the sport touring tires are available in the 200 sizes, only the hyper sport tires

Shinko's? ?

None of the sport touring tires are available in the 200 sizes, only the hyper sport tires
i think it's fine, not like you're going to push the bike to the limits on the street.

I know that BMW and most likely KTM are explicit in warnings to not change the tire size especially with bikes like yours with the IMU and the full electronic suite.

Would check the bike specific site to see what others have to say.

I know that BMW and most likely KTM are explicit in warnings to not change the tire size especially with bikes like yours with the IMU and the full electronic suite.

had no clue, thanks for the heads up!

Which bike is this for?

The 1290 Super Duke comes stock with 190/55 tires. Are you asking if it's safe to put a 200 on it?

I believe gen 1 and 2 came with 190/55 tires, the new 2020 gen 3 comes with 200/55

Was thinking about downsizing to eventually get sport touring tires that are good in the rain, they dont make them for 200/55 (unless you want shinkos)

Agreed on the bike specific site suggestion, but changing tire size may be possible. With the Tuono, the RR comes with a 190 and the Factory comes with a 200 (same rim), and folks switch between them based on preference.

Tire brands/types all have different profiles and will also change profile as they wear. I'd be surprised if the traction control can't cope with those changes effectively, especially as 190 to 200 isn't a huge leap.

The Dunlop Roadsport 2 tire comes in 200/55 and is listed as a sport touring tire (or rather a high mileage sport tire). Also, I was quite happy with the wear on the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III's that came on my bike.

To be fair, a puncture caused a switch for a set of stickier Diablo Rosso Corsa II's (Pirelli's naming system is nuts) long before I wore them out, so I can't say how long they would have lasted. But the 3000 or so kms I put on them barely seemed to have an effect...

Well hold on here :/ is the original tire a radial and you are replacing it with a radial ?
If not that idea sucks.

Where on god green earth would you expect to buy a bias ply tire in those sizes.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
I can't know what he did not say and it did not immediately send me scrambling for tire catalogues.
If by "hyper sport tires" he is talking soft compound radial ply tires which are great on wet and
"sport touring tires" which eludes to something that is designed for high milage :/ I have no idea what he is looking at beyond that.

Original poster needs to do some research.

Find internet forums that pertain to that particular bike, and search those to see what others have experienced. Surely you won't be the first to try it.

Question 1 is whether the bike has the capability of recalibration for different tire rolling diameters. Option 1 is "no". Option 2 is that you may be able to manually select or configure the tire dimensions in some way. Option 3 is that the bike may sort itself out automatically (I'm led to believe that Aprilia does this). Option 4 is that you may have to do some procedure to tell the bike to recalibrate itself. In the case of my own (previous-generation, non IMU) traction control equipped bike, it's option 1 ... "no". You are stuck with the way they calibrated it.

Question 2 is how much wiggle room is available for differing tire diameters. In my own case, OEM size 200/55-17. A replacement 200/50-17 was no good. What's on there now is 190/55-17 and it is fine.

Back
Top Bottom