Weird Ninja 250r problem | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weird Ninja 250r problem

LoneRonin

I just noticed today as my bike reached near redline and I shifted gears the rpm didn't drop back down and rise again. they just stayed at about 11k rpm from going from 1st gear to 3rd....whats up with that?? the bike just wouldn't pick up any speed while it was just redlining and I was shifting up. Mid range seems to be fine. Any ideas on what it could be I have an extended warranty and can take it into the dealer but I hope I don't have to.

If you back off the throttle how can it stay at 11k RPM? No fuel, no motor reving. Because you have a carburetor, maybe your idle is set high or your throttle cable is sticking or binding.

no..I'm on the throttle going up in gears but the rpms are staying at a constant 11k without an increase in speed. then after 10-12 seconds I feel a bit of power seeming to kick in...I think it may be something with the clutch.

Shifting one 0 one is you back off the throttle before shifting up. Dirty air filter, time to replace spark plugs, etc. If your clutch is not working you would know it when you come to a stop light as your bike will stall. Always a good idea to check your clutch freeplay. If you are doing all of this and you are in gear and your RPMS/speed are increasing in tandem all is well. However, if your RPMS are increasing and your speed is not, I would guess it's a worn clutch plate. I believe each gear has its own clutch plate.
Please don't help people when you have no idea WTF you are talking about or how a clutch works. Refrain from talking about things if you have no idea how they work. There is way to much bad advice being given out here.
OP are you saying that your bike revs to 11k as soon as you release the clutch or are you shifting without the clutch?

Last edited:
Dude, sounds like the clutch. Check in this order:

1. Clutch lever free play
2. Clutch cable lubrication
3. Verify clutch slippage. Shift up into 6th gear, and try to accelerate. Obviously, it'll be slow, but if it goes nowhere at all, it's likely slipping. (I think this is the preferred way to check for clutch slippage.)

You've got a lot of clicks on that bike, so it wouldn't be surprising if your clutch needs refurbishing. However, I doubt you need to replace the actual friction plates as yet. You may need to swap in new clutch springs. However, since you have to open up the clutch to replace the springs, you may as well replace the clutch plates too... unless you're really cheap. :p

Please don't help people when you have no idea WTF you are talking about or how a clutch works. Refrain from talking about things if you have no idea how they work. There is way to much bad advice being given out here.
OP are you saying that your bike revs to 11k as soon as you release the clutch or are you shifting without the clutch?
not as soon as I release it..but when its up there and I shift up a gear it remains constant at 11k, normally it would drop to about 8k and then start rising again but no, it just sits at whatever rpm its at.

Dude, sounds like the clutch. Check in this order:

1. Clutch lever free play
2. Clutch cable lubrication
3. Verify clutch slippage. Shift up into 6th gear, and try to accelerate. Obviously, it'll be slow, but if it goes nowhere at all, it's likely slipping. (I think this is the preferred way to check for clutch slippage.)

You've got a lot of clicks on that bike, so it wouldn't be surprising if your clutch needs refurbishing. However, I doubt you need to replace the actual friction plates as yet. You may need to swap in new clutch springs. However, since you have to open up the clutch to replace the springs, you may as well replace the clutch plates too... unless you're really cheap. :p

I will go do all that. I'm willing to get a new clutch kit and put it in, I need to change my sparks plugs too while I'm at it. Any idea how much the plates or the kit costs? And how can I tell what needs replacing? will there be obvious wear in the plates and springs?

I am not sure without riding the bike but it sounds like the clutch is slipping. Have you checked the free play at the lever it can get tight as the clutch wears. Make sure you have some free play at the lever. If it is clutch change the steels and frictions it is not that expensive and you are back to new, also make sure you check the basket for notching. There are lots of experienced guys around that could tell you for sure in a minute or 2 by looking at the bike, maybe someone could help you look at it.
Try PMing Kneedragger

Back
Top Bottom