Wearing Glasses and fogging up | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wearing Glasses and fogging up

Homme007

Folks...

Sincerely want to see there is a way around it...

Situation...

I wear glasses. I have an HJC RPHA 11 Pro helmet with Pinlock insert... and I find the breath deflector is not really directing my exhaled air to the bottom part of the helmet... so whenever the weather gets a little cold.. not only does my glasses fog up.. my visor fog up from the inside as well...

anyone has some suggestion as to how I can manage this?

Respro Foggy.

Reactions: Ash
I wear glasses. ... so whenever the weather gets a little cold.. not only does my glasses fog up.. my visor fog up from the inside as well...

I have the same issue. I'm thinking to wear contacts while riding, but I've read your eyes can get dry really quickly.

I'll wait to read all the recommendations from here.

The other way is to crack the visor open a smidgeon.

I have the same issue. I'm thinking to wear contacts while riding, but I've read your eyes can get dry really quickly.

I'll wait to read all the recommendations from here.
I don't like to stick my finger in my eyes... lol.. stick with glasses.. and yes.. waiting for more feedback.. and @Wingboy TYVM!!

To start, get rid of any chin curtain that you might have installed.

The Respro is the best off-the-shelf solution, but it isn't perfect. I found that if it wasn't positioned very firmly against my face that it tended to shoot breath directly up my cheeks and into my eyes/glasses which actually made the problem worse. The velcro that holds it to the cheekpads can also be scratchy when putting the helmet on.

I've tried a whole bunch of ridiculous things, including a snorkel setup at one point. The answer that you probably don't want to hear is that glasses in a helmet in cold weather just sucks, and either contact lenses (my choice) or laser surgery are the only really effective options.

My eyes get really irritated by allergens and wind when riding, especially with the contacts, so I now jam a "moustache" of soft foam between my upper lip and the chinbar to completely seal off the upper part of my face from drafts. That could potentially work for you too, if you're willing to breathe through your mouth instead of your nose.

The Respro is the best off-the-shelf solution, but it isn't perfect. I found that if it wasn't positioned very firmly against my face that it tended to shoot breath directly up my cheeks and into my eyes/glasses which actually made the problem worse. The velcro that holds it to the cheekpads can also be scratchy when putting the helmet on.

I've tried a whole bunch of ridiculous things, including a snorkel setup at one point. The answer that you probably don't want to hear is that glasses in a helmet in cold weather just sucks, and either contact lenses (my choice) or laser surgery are the only really effective options.

My eyes get really irritated by allergens and wind when riding, especially with the contacts, so I now jam a "moustache" of soft foam between my upper lip and the chinbar to completely seal off the upper part of my face from drafts. That could potentially work for you too, if you're willing to breathe through your mouth instead of your nose.
Earplugs in your nose?

The snowmobile crowd have some options that work like the Respro that are built into a balaclava instead of installed into the helmet:

LOL.. you know what @Ash contacts and laser eye surgery have definitely came across my mind... I just want to see if there are other suggestions on here... I am just a new rider.. don't know much.. hence the question... lots to learn from you more experienced folks.... :)

Crack the visor a tad and should be good. I wear glasses and the only time they fog up is when it’s cold and there’s no airflow.

I crack the helmet, start moving, and all good.
The other way is to crack the visor open a smidgeon.

Yep.. that's what I have been doing in a few night rides.. but I am curious will that pose a safety concern if the helmet is not properly locked...

as well.. remember last Oct/Nov... there were a few days where its just nasty fog... well.. one of those evenings.. I was caught with riding at night.. when fog was heavy as heck... I cracked the visor open a bit.. and the fog/water droplets ended up both on the outside of my helmet visor and on my glasses.. I remember from core downtown to the bluffs.. around 15KM.. i had to stop like 5 times to wipe my visor and glasses off before I can continue riding... so I want to see if there is alternative to keep my visor shut... at least so all I have to clear off is my visor... at least I can do it with one hand..

I guess the alternative at this point is to really check the weather and don't ride out unless the weather is perfect...

Folks...

Sincerely want to see there is a way around it...

Situation...

I wear glasses. I have an HJC RPHA 11 Pro helmet with Pinlock insert... and I find the breath deflector is not really directing my exhaled air to the bottom part of the helmet... so whenever the weather gets a little cold.. not only does my glasses fog up.. my visor fog up from the inside as well...

You do realize you've got Top and Bottom vents you can open Right? Just making sure.

Description​

The HJC RPHA 11 builds upon the hugely successful RPHA 10, creating an even more finely tuned helmet for sport and track-day enthusiasts. A more aerodynamically refined shell, improved rear spoiler design, ACS "Advanced Channeling Ventilation System", an added forehead vent, greater field of view, a redesigned face shield gasket system and optically-superior Pinlock-ready 2D flat-racing shield rounds out the features of this helmet.

You do realize you've got Top and Bottom vents you can open Right? Just making sure.

Description​

The HJC RPHA 11 builds upon the hugely successful RPHA 10, creating an even more finely tuned helmet for sport and track-day enthusiasts. A more aerodynamically refined shell, improved rear spoiler design, ACS "Advanced Channeling Ventilation System", an added forehead vent, greater field of view, a redesigned face shield gasket system and optically-superior Pinlock-ready 2D flat-racing shield rounds out the features of this helmet.
yes.. all vents are wide open... in fact.. there are two in the mouth area of the helmet.. one inside and outside.. and both are wide open... and still fogs.

You can minimize the fogging by doing what we have suggested, but you will never eliminate it. You are a two wheel nut and proud of it. Stay safe. Ric.

tbh i ended up getting lasik years ago so i wouldnt have to wear glasses while riding. you get tax money back on it too!

Get contacts, you get used to it.

I eventually got tired of the hassle of glasses when out for the day (think of every scenario beyond just riding in a helmet: travelling, amusement parks, etc) swapping between Rx glasses and sunglasses, carrying them around, they get in the way generally.

Laser eye surgery still scares me, that I’ll be the 1% chance that the laser burns a hole through my rods & cones.

No need to jump in the deep end right away with surgery or a full year's supply of contact lenses. Ask for a couple of pairs of disposable trial contact lenses the next time you're at the optometrist.

Been wearing glasses for years, been fogging up for years, been cracking my visor for years, never had any issues for years.
Forget all these contact lenses, surgery options, you're over thinking things. Try a practical solution as noted above or crack your visor.
If you are concerned about the "safety" of a cracked visor while riding a motorcycle in traffic, you're over thinking it.

Back
Top Bottom