Waterproof Gear | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waterproof Gear

Australian Outback, Overlander jacket (y) not a lot of money and it works.

Never heard of it, and very affordable! I have a waxed cotton fjallraven jacket, was thinking of geting armour pockets sewn in and using it for summer/spring. Not for touring though.

Frogg Toggs sound good as a back-up if it's raining day after day. I love off-roading, mud, and look forward to rainy days, outer shell benefit is after the day the gear below is clean and dry. Right now narrowed the choice down to the Rev'it Horzon 2 with pants, need to try them and wait for some GPbikes/F9 sale as i'm in no rush in the winter. Other options are Dainiese X-tourer, thing fits like a glove.

Also, how many use neck braces? just heard of them and noticed only some jackets are combatabile

Never heard of it, and very affordable! I have a waxed cotton fjallraven jacket, was thinking of geting armour pockets sewn in and using it for summer/spring. Not for touring though.

Frogg Toggs sound good as a back-up if it's raining day after day. I love off-roading, mud, and look forward to rainy days, outer shell benefit is after the day the gear below is clean and dry. Right now narrowed the choice down to the Rev'it Horzon 2 with pants, need to try them and wait for some GPbikes/F9 sale as i'm in no rush in the winter. Other options are Dainiese X-tourer, thing fits like a glove.

Also, how many use neck braces? just heard of them and noticed only some jackets are combatabile
The only time I've ever used a neck brace is for motocross. For enduro races, trail riding and street or adv riding I find them way to restrictive for head movement.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

All great advice and nice hearing of people's setups/experiences. I'll try a give a 2nd try for a warranty claim with Klim. The Goretex warranty sounds appealing, and if I can get some on sale as mentioned by @captain farkle then its a win win! That said, I won' be going the Klim route, the cut just isn't tailored to my body. Bought some pants of theirs, returned them, tried some jackets in store and way to baggy, a real American shape.

I fit much better in the Dainese/Alpinestar/rev'it range (Rev'its pants being a problem, way to short an inseam). I got the Icon DKR jacket on sale at 50% off, same one ryanF9 wears, its okay at that price. too baggy, flaps all around, missing some details, and gets hot hot hot. Plus is it came with the D30 armour which I shall re-use, Rev'ts seesmart stuff is my favourite, I tested it, it works, and doesn't feel bulky.

read the articles posted, good stuff! Am going toward the fused waterproof membrane in one setup, and also want matching pants. tried the mis-match jacket pant combo, not a fan, practical wise they don't zip together, fashion wise I look like a bargain bin lol.

Scorpion are the threads frayed or a tear? If not, do you reseal the Gortex after/during washing? I wash and reseal once every year just before riding season starts, both dryer application and spray when hanging.

I don't think that anything is 100% waterproof after it has been used a bunch of times in heavy rain. I have heard people complaining about Klim, and about Frogg Toggs. Klim is supposed to be guaranteed for life. I know a couple people that had to return it after a few years because it started leaking in the elbow area. Klim did replace them.

Its great that Klim honours their warranty. But at the prices they charge, product failure should be almost non existent.

Kilm if youy can afford it, Alpinestars drystar is a decent second. Aerostitch has some nice stuff but I've never tried it. I think frog togs looks silly but function over fashion. Being dry is EVERYTHING.

Price sucks once, wet sucks everytime

Anyone with some Rukka gear or used them? (rukka-jackets) They are big in Europe and I see lots of Reviewers wear them there, bang for buck they look pretty decent

I have an ancient Rukka one-piece suit, totally waterproof but like wearing a shower curtain in warm weather - it doesn't breathe.
I have an Alpinestars 2-piece for short hops, its easier to put on, fits over everything and does the job.

Scorpion are the threads frayed or a tear? If not, do you reseal the Gortex after/during washing? I wash and reseal once every year just before riding season starts, both dryer application and spray when hanging.

On the damaged gear? It's all ripped, like torn at the shoulder and near the arm. the Alpinestar pants ripped upto the waterproof lining, so they're still waterproof, though falling apart at the knees. So no chance of resealing anything or fixing it. I could just get something like a Frogg Togs and keep it going for a year or two, though the Jacket was too big from day 1 and the pants aren't safe anymore as it's torn at the Armour.

I'm more concerned the Frogg's over suit flapping around in the wind and getting inconvenient after a while. I like the Rukka stuff, just no dealer here to try it for fit. Klim is out for me all together, the fit doesn't work, too baggy and loose, I prefer the Euro stuff like Rev'it, Dainese, and AS. Aerostich looks a little old school and similar fit to Klim.

recently got some Olympia outer gear at GP
the Newport line was on sale

full featured and very comfortable stuff
pretty decent choice if you don't feel like taking the $$ beating with Klim

I really like the inner/outer waterproof layer that comes with both jacket and pants
put that layer inside when it's dry/cold to keep the draft out
put it over the jacket/pants in a few seconds to stay dry in wet weather

I'm headed to GP Bike next weekend, I'll have a look at that Olympia stuff and fit (y)

I've been looking at going toward a layering system now, something like the force field XV-2 top+pants, then add jackets on top as needed. I'm finding with all in one gear, the armour moves around, and If I go size down, can't layer up, or when I remove the thermal liner it's too loose.

Reactions: J_F
Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried those waterproof sprays for clothing and boots?
Just wondering if anyone has had success?

Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried those waterproof sprays for clothing and boots?
For boots, some success (sprayed work boots to make them a little more water resistant and make the mud come off easier). I don't think I have tried on on clothing as I gave it little chance of working, would use a ton of spray and probably fail quickly with the constant motion.

I use Kiwi heavy duty water repellent on everything from Hiking bags, boots, motorcycle soft luggage etc... They're all water repellents, not waterproofing. Works well to keep things clean and bead water away, and clean them after muddy days. For technical clothing I use the the Granger's stuff. For cotton gear like Fjallraven, I use the Greenland wax and a hairdryer to melt it in, a bit better than the sprays and all, though a PIA to apply.

Cheap, hi vis, waterproof. Couple this with windbreaker pants and you're good.

What more do you need for those odd days when it rains really hard.

Most of the rain we get in the summer is a light drizzle, or it rains hard for 10 minutes. My Joe rocket textile jacket is waterproof enough for those scenarios (without the waterproof lining).

Most of the rain we get in the summer is a light drizzle, or it rains hard for 10 minutes. My Joe rocket textile jacket is waterproof enough for those scenarios (without the waterproof lining).

Good backup option, though for the long distance touring stuff and trips I have planned, light drizzle turns into days of rain, esp going out west.

I went the all-in-one route for a few years with various Gore-tex clones, but they all seem to lose their water resistance after a few years of baking in the sun. After my $500 Revit jacket left me soaking wet one too many times, I switched over to the liner/outer system. I've had good success with Olympia Airglide gear. It's breezy and cool for the 90% of the time that the sun is out while I'm riding and when I'm on a longer trip or just get caught out in the rain, the nylon outers go over top and keep me 100% dry. They might get a bit clammy on a hot humid day if I leave them on, but they're easy to unzip or take off. And when they inevitably get worn out it's not nearly as painful to replace them as it would be with Gore-tex gear.

Ah, thanks! Do you know what Rev'it brand jacket that was? I'm looking at the Horizon 2 now as it seems decent and in budget. Checked some Olympia reviews, it's american fit like Klim, so out for me, I'll still try it a GP bikes to see. The Icon Jacket I bought is Medium, far to big, even with the Liner in, at a Small the arms were too short and Armour too high, and still too baggy everywhere else. After dealing with that baggy mess for 2-3 years, I'm through and want some textiles that are fitted snug with proper cinches to tailor the fit

[/URL][/URL]

The best slickers I've owned are Viking Handyman. I kept these on my boat when I lived on the coast, the local chandlery stocked them for commercial fishermen. I have a set on my bike, and a couple in my boat. You could shoot a firehose at these and you're going to stay dry. They are "Stupid cheap" to buy, around $30 for black on Amazon, yellow and hi-vis are usually about $45 for a pant and jacket. Viking 2110Y-XXXL Handyman 3 Piece PVC Rain Suit: Amazon.ca: Clothing & Accessories

Wet suit under anything.
MEC sells them.

... beats the heck out of dressing in yellow swimming pool liner :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom