Washing motorcycle properly | GTAMotorcycle.com

Washing motorcycle properly

alangolding25

Site Supporter
Ill be on my bike within a week Id say. So I will certainly be cleaning it after each rider to get the salt and grime away

Typically I use a damp sponge along with some cleaning products. Can be tedious. I have always seen guys who get a bit hose and power blast their bikes clean. I have always been hesitant to do that.

Are there any risks or is there anything wrong with hosing down your bike? Would you need to cover your ignition ? etc.

I use a regular garden hose (with no attachment) without any problem. I assumed it would be fine, as the rain doesn't hurt my bike. Didn't give me any problems. I'm a clueless noob though, FWIW. Will be watching... :confused:

Edit: I would dry it off afterward, and take it for a short spin to try drying out nooks and crannies.

yeah I thought of that! But then I think, rain is a very different application to a garden hose. i.e more power, spraying directly from the sides. I have seen tonnes of videos of people doing it, just never have done it myself.

Wd-40

Use automotive soap on the paintwork, but dish soap everywhere else and let it sit to de-grease.
I would avoid power washers, too many stories of electronics shorted out after a power-wash of a road bike. Dirt bikes, go for it.

I've always washed every bike (street/dirt/race) with a garden hose WITH a spray nozzle and a bucket of soapy water. All my bikes start after and run fine.

I did did have to replace the wheel bearings in my dirt bike though, after 10 years they've done their job.

use a clean sponge / microfibre. if you want to be really careful, use two buckets. one for soap and one for squeezing out the sponge / cloth to keep the grit separated from the clean water

Normal (low pressure) hose spray attachment is fine.
High-pressure washer must be quite cautious! Can damage gaskets, wash out grease fittings, damage chain etc.
The trick is not too much soap, lots of rinsing. Flush everything well with lots of running water.
Using dead bath towels to dry bike is ideal. Last bits of dirt will end up on the drying and polishing towels...
Be sensitive to the presence of any grit on your towels!
Shake them out constantly. Move to a clean area (or next towel) as required...
L8R

Depends on how dirty your bike is. If it’s not too dirty, I use a bottle with a spay nozzle with water in it ( section by section and drying as I go ). Once a month I will give it a though wash and always use a pressure washer with soap. I have never had a problem doing this, at the same time I am not going to blast a coil directly. Once washed I use a leaf blower to blast off the water and then towel dry. If I get caught in the rain it gets the full wash treatment. Works for me

Wash painted parts like you would your car.
Don't use high pressure hose on electrics/switches/ cables. anything with a bearing.
Best to wash when engine is cold not right after a ride

Yeah, ok, but if you really think that, we really don't need GTAM. Google also finds you stupid ideas on the interweb very fast.

SNAP! Thinking the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback some good tips there. Cant beat a good forum for some sound advice!

Warm water, gentle cycle, hang to dry. I'd just use a hose and/or a bucket.

For me I use a bucket of soap water and a rag soaked with kerosene for chain area sprockets and any greasy flings on the rim after washed I pull out my blower for a quick dry then ride off in 5 mins on dry bike. Works really well when hand washing the car too minimal wiping.

Garden hose with spray nozzle is fine. It's the high pressure washers that are a danger to bearings, etc.

Bucket of water, some decent detergent and an microfiber cloth. You can spray wash but, avoid the sensitive bits. Ride to dry.

Has anybody mentioned WD40 yet? It displaces water and makes the bike look good. I actually get comments.

Back
Top Bottom