Warm weather headgear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Warm weather headgear

Michael0124

Site Supporter
I searched here and on google, can't find much info or any reviews.

Last season I had a bunch of cheap bandanas but all they really do is hold the sweat against my head, not very comfortable. I'm looking for a warm weather balaclava, but can't tell the difference between a $5 one and a $50 one. I'm looking for something that breathes/wicks moisture, covers my neck for the UV protection and keeps my head comfy.

So far I am considering the Schampa CoolSkin or CoolSkin Adventure, the Zan bamboo/cotton full face and the alpinestars race series in either full or open face. But am open to anything that works well, don't really care about name brand, etc.

I like the ones that cover full face, but am curious if anyone has feedback on how those are in a full face helmet as far as breathability goes.

Essentially any feedback I can get on what some of you are using and liking and what to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I just use one from mark's work warehouse.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Yup, same here. They def do the job!
I also have one of these: Alpinestars Open Face Balaclava
The A* one is pretty expensive, but its been through hundreds of uses and a couple dozen washes and is still like new. You get what you pay for. Wicks moisture inside the helmet and feels cool on the neck with the wind.
My brother uses this one and swears by it: Men’s UA HeatGear® Tactical Balaclava | Under Armour CA
Just a couple options. If you are going to be using one all the time I'd spend the $30 or so and get one of good quality rather than the cheap ones from amazon that you will constantly be replacing.

Last edited:
15126.jpg

I use Oxford balaclava ....it is reallllllly thin .....the picture does not show how thin and very easy to wash and dry by hand even at a gas stop - leave it soaked and it's nice a cool for a while. It's tiny

can't see it online but this looks okay

Update on this for anyone that is curious about some of the options out there, I ended up buying two from fortnine.ca. Neither are perfect but they get the job done for the money.

The schampa coolskin adventure is super thin, has great breathability, and does well in wicking away sweat. It's also decent in the cold for blocking wind.
The cons are it fits looser and is not very long compared to others so I found it rides up and bunches up on the back of my neck. I wear a medium helmet and have a long neck, so that might just be me. The pro to the looseness is you can tuck it under your chin easily making it open face for really hot days.

The Zan bamboo/cotton is really nice...super soft, long tapered neck that tucks into your jacket and it does a great job of blocking sun and wind. Haven't tried it yet in the cold but my impression is that it will work very well. It fits tightly but not uncomfortably, and the eye opening is smaller than the schampa so not great for pulling down into an open face.
The cons are that it's a bit thick, guessing it's better in the colder temps but I find that it keeps my head warm and doesn't wick away the sweat as well as the thinner schampa.

It's on sale right now for $11, so great deal if you need one.

Verdict, both work well but I feel the Zan is a better overall product especially at the current price difference. I'll keep using both, the schampa for the really hot days and the Zan for every other situation.

I'm sure they work well to keep you cool like the moisture wicking base layers I wear under my mx gear but wearing a balaclava all winter sledding I can't imagine putting one on in the summer. I hate the things lol.

I'm sure they work well to keep you cool like the moisture wicking base layers I wear under my mx gear but wearing a balaclava all winter sledding I can't imagine putting one on in the summer. I hate the things lol.
I totally get what you are saying, it does take getting used to but I find with a shaved head and a beard it adds some comfort for me on hot days.

The zan perforated flydana from Fortnine is what I use I stop my helmet getting funky. Very nice product and low profile too so no weird lines on your head.

A good helmet (you get what you pay for) like Arai with good ventilation will keep you cool.Let the helmet liner do it's job at wicking moisture and just remove and wash in Johnsons Baby Shampoo.Sunblock protects your neck.
A balaclava in the summertime heat????? Really?

A good helmet (you get what you pay for) like Arai with good ventilation will keep you cool.Let the helmet liner do it's job at wicking moisture and just remove and wash in Johnsons Baby Shampoo.Sunblock protects your neck.
A balaclava in the summertime heat????? Really?
ALL I've ever worn up until this season were full face Arai's and shoei's.I agree they are excellent quality and do just about everything a helmet should do very well,however I bought a Simpson m50 and I'm hooked on the huge eye port.My head doesnt feel "buried" in it.It really improved the experience of riding for me.It feels like a 3/4 helmet with a chin bar.Massive air flow.Love it ,but will save my visored helmets for the chilly days.

Last edited:
I wear a thin Oxford balaclava all the time riding. It's so much easier to wash and keeps earphones in place and much easier to put a helmet on..

When it's warm I do miss my 3/4 convertible ..love the wide FoV even with the chin bar in place
...I'm glad I have the C3 for the riding out west as it's warm and will not fog up....for single digits to upper 20s it's fine. 30s it feels hot ...hopefully avoiding that this trip as my jacket is also uncomfortable at those temps

I wear a thin Oxford balaclava all the time riding. It's so much easier to wash and keeps earphones in place and much easier to put a helmet on..

When it's warm I do miss my 3/4 convertible ..love the wide FoV even with the chin bar in place
...I'm glad I have the C3 for the riding out west as it's warm and will not fog up....for single digits to upper 20s it's fine. 30s it feels hot ...hopefully avoiding that this trip as my jacket is also uncomfortable at those temps
You know, I'm really glad I found this thread.A lightweight balaclava may work well for me since I have vitiligo(loss of pigment in the skin) patches on my face and neck which just burn in the sun .Sunscreen helps but maybe a lightweight balaclava is the way to go.Im gonna try it. Also being that the m50 does not have a removable liner it won't get so greasy

Last edited:
Excellent. I must admit every time I wash the balaclava I'm surprised how grimy the water is. There is a lot of road dirt out there.

Great timing for this thread....not looking for something for the motorcycle. But wearing a hardhat all day with a shaved head is a pain in the ass. Looks like I'll be buying the amazon linked ones as they seem to fit the bill.
They don't seem like the ideal solution for a helmet as the knot in the back could get annoying with pressure point at the back of the head though.

I wear a thin Oxford balaclava all the time riding

and somewhere between Vancouver and home mine went astray ..40527

The lost are found when unpacking. Not the first time the damn thing has taken breather. ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom