Visiting Orlando for a day.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Visiting Orlando for a day....

Splash

So I have a 1 full day layover with a car rental in Orlando. What is there to do? I plan on visiting Gatorland.

Is Universal Studios / Universal's Islands of Adventure worth visiting?

Anything else?

Thanks

It all depends on what you are into. We did the family Disney thing 20 years ago and it was good family fun but I wouldn't go back to Disney. I got tired of artificial everything.
Sea World was good too but I am starting to think in terms of showing animals more respect.
Universal was interesting. I would go again to see how the latest special effects are done up. Back then FX was nuts and bolts. Now it's digital. Nostalgic bits are good also.
We were in Orlando for a week and found we needed a break from all the hype. A trip to the Atlantic coast did the trick. Swimming in the ocean at one of the beaches, pleasant scenery, cheap rstaurants, no line ups and easy going people.
If you have the bucks there used to be a place in Kissimee that took you for a ride in a P-51 Mustang. I wouldn't mind that in my log book.

Gatorland was great. But I like Gators. Universal is great if you are into rides and special effects/shows. You could also take a drive out to NASA or one of the beaches.

I've been to both twice, and I'd definitely go back to Universal before Disney. At Universal, you're walking much less between attractions. Be sure to go on the Jurassic Park River Adventure, and if you got the balls, the Incredible Hulk roller coaster. That thing is a beast. It shoots you 60 storeys into the air, and then a monstrous double roll. Even more cool, when you stand beside it, it sounds like the Hulk's roar when the coaster goes by!

I loved NASA, Seaworld was boring. Waterparks are fun if you don't want to waste time driving out to the beaches.

Im jealous. I want to go back.

If you like rides then do Universal Islands of Adventure. Universal for the movie based stuff but the best roller coaster rides are at Universal Islands of Adventure. Get there early and use the full day. If you're really adventurous then then get this;

https://secure.universalstudios.com/webstore/shop/ItemDetailPopUp.aspx?SalesChannelDetailID=15087287

1-Day Park to Park Ticket
The 1-Day Park to Park Ticket entitles one (1) guest admission to BOTH Universal Studios Florida® AND Islands of Adventure® on any one (1) calendar day.

Universal are smart and they've spread the good **** between the 2 parks. However they are "next door" to each other and are within walikng distance.

gatorland is a little run down imo. I was disappointed there.

The best attraction in orlando has to be discovery cove. The entrance fee is a little pricey but the experience of swimming with 6 ft manta rays is incredible. When you first see the size of these things and you're getting into the water...it just doesn't feel right. You have to reserve a spot as booking is limited for the day. Show up early for the start. All drinks (including beer) are included...as much as you want to eat/drink during the day. The breakfast buffet is basic, but the lunch is top notch. The dolphin swim is a little pricey for what it is...just get the regular admission. You WILL NOT be disappointed. This is the best value for a really unique experience.

http://discoverycove.com/

Another fond memory of florida was 'flying' the stearman in Polk City (a little bit of a drive). You get a little taste of the controls of a bi-plane. It was a great experience. Especially when the pilot showed me what the plane could do on the way back (he asks first what you're comfortable with...tell him anything).

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/boeing_stearman.html

Take the drive, 1hr, to Busch Gardens, best roller coasters of all of the parks in central FLA if you are after theme park experiences.
Day passes to most of the parks are quite pricey, you get hit pretty hard on day 1 and addtional days are 1/2 or less.

There are quite a few sigt seeing type options too if you are looking for driving destinations.
If you are picking up a hotel, check with the concierge about what they offer for shuttles, deals with the hotel

+1 for Universal over Disney. The rides were amazing. We went in off peak time of year and multiple rides were easily done. Didn't get to SeaWorld so can't comment on that.
NASA was great if you're into that stuff.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'm printing this right now....

I thinks If you are picking up a hotel, check with the concierge about what they offer for shuttles..!
:agave:

Although I'm not really a fan of Harry Potter, their new ride in "Harry Potter Land" was pretty awesome. Their lines are always moving unlike @ Canada's Wonderland (Constant rotation of trains) so you're waiting half the time you would @ Canadas wonderland. I think it's worth checking out the newer rides as the older ride's special effects are.... Old. lol

Back
Top Bottom