Vintage Audio Gear - AV Home Theatre | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vintage Audio Gear - AV Home Theatre

does Polk Audio have 2 lines of quality?

they have a decent rep, not audiophile quality, but generally regarded as a step up from pedestrian
I bought a pair of bookshelf Polks, around $500 and expected them to be okay
they were bloody awful!

they were replacing a pair of Monitor Audio's that were magic little speakers
unfortunately I over-drove them to full meltdown blasting 2112 Overture
Which MA did you have? What is the front-end? IMO, Polk and MA have a vastly different signature. You may not like the Polk sound, they may need some time to burn in, your front-end may not be a good match for the polks, etc.

going back a few years on the Polks...Yamaha amp of no consequence
the rig sounded great on the MA's....can't remeber what model
I bought them at a pawn shop for $50...didn't know they were good speakers until I heard them

whatever sound signature the MA's have is what I like
if you have any advice, GG, on what that sound is
and what I should look at to get it back?

built a tube amp from kit around 15 years ago
only 8 watts/side but it also sounded great
so maybe I'm into a warm rather than crisp/accurate sound

the tube amp sounded analog - not linear, like new solid state gear sounds to me

going back a few years on the Polks...Yamaha amp of no consequence
the rig sounded great on the MA's....can't remeber what model
I bought them at a pawn shop for $50...didn't know they were good speakers until I heard them

if you have any advice, GG, on what that sound is
and what I should look at to get it back?

built a tube amp from kit around 15 years ago
only 8 watts/side but it also sounded great
so maybe I'm into a warm rather than crisp/accurate sound

the tube amp sounded analog - not linear, like new solid state gear sounds to me

I have a Yamaha Aventage surround sound amp in my front room. It cost a pretty penny at the time but the thing is bombproof and sounds really good, I think Yamaha's are slightly warm and they are focussed on music reproduction more. I like the vintage look/sound too but I think you can still get that with all the techno bells and whistles of the latest tech.

Reactions: J_F
You really just need to get out and listen to different speakers to get a feel for what you like, in the end it is very subjective. If you liked your older MAs maybe try out some other British brands, at least as a starting point. Speaker placement will also have a big (HUGE) impact on how they sound but it will not fix a bad fit for you. Don't worry too much about the brand, find what you like, what sounds fantastic to one person will sound like pooo to someone else. BUT, having said that, if you find Bose is what sounds best to you, find a different hobby.... :).

The Polk brand has a wide range of speakers at very different price points and quality. Last I looked they are now part of DEI with Denon, Marantz, Boston and some other decent mid range brands. Hell I paid $49 on sale for a new set of M10s last year (used as laundry room speakers, they are what they are).

Sadly. many once great speaker brands are now just sticker engineered products riding on the name and made in China by a holding/parent company...

As for Yamaha amps, dollar for dollar they are hard to beat. Not super high current amps but I have a few (pro and consumer) from decades old to new and they have all been very durable and well made. Hard to go really wrong. There of course is better but you will spend a lot more.

And I was expecting all tube talk................

BTW my daughter has an old radio (Picture fireside chats with FDR) that she only wants for the cabinet. I've been offered the guts. Do I need another project?

okay, here's another question, DAC
anyone have a standalone DAC that inputs to your Hi-Fi system?
or, what do you use to play hi bit rate files that doesn't degrade them?

I've got a pretty decent collection of flac and high bit rate mp3 stuff
stored on a NAS, that and the router can flood any client/device that I attach to the network

if I'm talking about some sweeter sounding gear, I prolly need a better DAC device to decode
choices now are a phone, the TV or a PC...none of these have good DAC's in them

the hair on the back of my neck still stands up when I crank it up for the flight scenes in Top Gun.

The climax of the chase in Tears of the Sun blows it away. Shakes the walls of my house.

Still use this.Probably wouldn't if i could figure out how to transfer my cd's to my phone.
EaFoGx7.jpg
I disagree.
I hate having music on my phone. I use my phone for 99 things, but music ain't one.
I still buy CDs today.
Will not buy a vehicle if it doesn't have a cd player.
* My coworker made sure his Acura had a cassette player because that is still his favorite way of listening to 80s music*

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The British speaker style has more in the midrange, and is often described as being warmer and musical. I've read it described as being the design response to the way speakers sound in British homes, which tend to have denser, plaster construction. Speakers with more treble/high end tend to sound better in NA homes, with mostly drywall builds. So, others you may want to look for would be B&W, Wharfedale, and KEF.

Rather than a vintage solid state amp/receiver, you might want to track down vintage tube gear. Current tube equipment can get pretty spendy.

thread has helped me understand that I don't know sh!t about this
so I'm gonna get what I liked last time
Yamaha stereo amp and Monitor Audio speakers
and cross fingers that I get good results for the room I plan to use it in

gonna try HDMI output from Sony smart TV to the amp
content streaming from the NAS
so the amp becomes my DAC- hoping that works

Definitely not my taste (I strongly dislike yamaha sound and dont really like ma), but that is a good place to start for you. I sent you a link to a cheap (relatively) pair of ma. Moving up in ma (as with most other manufacturers), I find the price climbs exponentially compared to the sonic experience.

I disagree.
I hate having music on my phone. I use my phone for 99 things, but music ain't one.
I still buy CDs today.
Will not buy a vehicle if it doesn't have a cd player.
* My coworker made sure his Acura had a cassette player because that is still his favorite way of listening to 80s music*

Yikkies that is some serious holding out. The last 2 cars I have had, I never used the CD player once. But I do have an ipod for music. It currenlty sits in the car and I never see it, connected via USB. Control everything from the steering wheel controls.

Hmmmmmm. Fumbling around with a dozen or so plastic discs scattered around the car or 300+ albums at the touch of a button on the dash. Tough decision.

Hmmmmmm. Fumbling around with a dozen or so plastic discs scattered around the car or 300+ albums at the touch of a button on the dash. Tough decision.
Well the thing is for me, is that I listen to a cd on repeat for a while.
I only buy CDs that I think that I may enjoy the entire thing (or most of).
For the most part, I only skip thru 1 or 2 songs.
My son (16) gets SO ******! He's obvs part of the short attention span generation that needs 10,000 available at the push of a button (he carries two phones, one exclusively for music).
He also complains that I still have the same cd playing (currently Fight The Good Fight by Cali Ska Punk band The Interrupters)

FMJ, I did not take you to be a part of the group that "needs" all that music at their fingertips.

Some background: I hate driving.
I drive a total of 30mins daily between commute, shopping and picking up the little guy from school/ basketball/ swimming.
I haven't been on two wheels in a while, and when I do, I don't travel far distances, and don't listen to music when I ride.
If any of the above ever changes, that *may* change my opinion on mp3/ WAV etc music.

not vintage by a long shot but it is supposedly “motorcycle inspired”, also a few good reviews too.

Yamaha Micro Component System With USB and Bluetooth - Black (MCRB043BLK)

it seems it will play anything you throw at it

not vintage by a long shot but it is supposedly “motorcycle inspired”, also a few good reviews too.

Yamaha Micro Component System With USB and Bluetooth - Black (MCRB043BLK)

it seems it will play anything you throw at it
What the everloving (*&(*& was the marketing department smoking? Even in the world of audio-wankery that sets a high standard.

"Sound you can feel, like the roar of a powerful engine. Audio inspired by the colours and design of Yamaha Motorcycles. Revved up and ready to go. Embrace your dynamism. Push your top speed. Accelerate your inner motor. "

"From the top panel ornamentation recalling an engine fan to the volume knob echoing the design of a radiator cap, the inspiration behind Yamaha motorcycles shines through. The yellow, orange and dark gray colouring forms the distinctive stripe that evokes the speed of a motorcycle. "
37491_ab2e7df7-375.jpg

"What’s more, the speakers feature an 11cm (4-1/2") drive unit that uses a large-diameter magnet to deliver rich bass, clear mids and sparkling highs."
Huh? A one way speaker that weighs 3 lbs? Barf. Buy it if you like the look, don't buy it for the sound.

Edit:
Amp is rated at 15 watts a side at 10% THD. Again, wtf. That would sound worse than poo. @7.5 watts a side, the THD is acceptable (0.07%) although they limited the test to a 1 kHz tone instead of full spectrum, so that cheats in their favour again. Probably something like 3 watts a side useful power.

Frequency response of 50 to 20 kHz @-10 dB. God damn it marketing wankers. You are just trying to trick people. List -3 numbers (or even closer to 0) to get something that remotely resembles what the user will experience.

Last edited:
Fluorescent 46s on the sides and you have a winner.

Back
Top Bottom