VigLink? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VigLink?

Might be a bit of a complicated workaround, but you can install TamperMonkey for Chrome or GreaseMonkey for FireFox

and then add this userscript:

// ==UserScript==
// @name Hide VigLinks
// @namespace com.gtamotorcycle
// @include https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/*
// @description Hides Viglinks
// @version 1
// @Grant none
// ==/UserScript==
var linkList = document.querySelectorAll ("a");

Array.prototype.forEach.call (linkList, function (link) {
if (link.hostname.includes("viglink.com")) {
//-- Hide the link
link.href = "javascript:void(0);";
link.style = "text-decoration: none; color:black;";
link.target = "";
}
} );
That's a bandaid. The real issue here is one of community vs commerce. I'm all for a community site tossing up a few sponsor ads to pay the bills -- community forums cost 20-30/month in hosting fees + a few hours a week to administer.

Once you start monetizing user content, you cross the like from community to commerce. That's OK, but there's also a risks once a site owner heads down that track.

That's a bandaid. The real issue here is one of community vs commerce. I'm all for a community site tossing up a few sponsor ads to pay the bills -- community forums cost 20-30/month in hosting fees + a few hours a week to administer.

Once you start monetizing user content, you cross the like from community to commerce. That's OK, but there's also a risks once a site owner heads down that track.

Unfortunately for you, you've got zero voting rights on the issue.

This is the way it's always been on online forums: he who pays the bills sets the rules. Doesn't matter if it's people getting chafed up about "freedom of speech" when they get censured, or others who don't like links or ads inserted in their posts.

Really you've got two options: take your content to another forum that doesn't insert links into your posts or take control over the way content is served up to you by (re-)modifying it at your browser.

What would it cost to "buy out" the VigLink advertising? I personally despise it more than most advertising as it borders on corrupting people's speech and/or diminishing the usefulness of adding hotlinks to forum posts

Hmm I am only seeing some of these links. But I am using uBlock on FireFox, maybe it is helping with this.

Hmm I am only seeing some of these links. But I am using uBlock on FireFox, maybe it is helping with this.

I tried writing a uBlock filter, but it doesn't do replacement, just filtering.

Best I came up with was deleting the href (hypertext reference) to viglink, so it's a still looks like a link, but when you click on it, it doesn't take you anywhere. When you hover over the link, you can see it's a referenceless link.

Try this filter in uBlock:

gtamotorcycle.com##+js(remove-attr.js, href, a[href*="i.viglink"])

Maybe someone smarter can fine-tune it.

The Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey userscript is the best solution I've found.

Last edited:
Any ideas for Pi-Hole?

Any ideas for Pi-Hole?

I don't think Pi-hole will work as intended, since it's a DNS-based solution.

The Viglinks are inserted right into the HTML code, they don't call out to viglink.com via DNS until you actually click on it. When you do click it, then Pi-hole will probably redirect to nothing (or a safe page), but they will still look like links on the forum.

They mess with your typing too!
They also show up as you type, just edit that $#@! out
spark plug
muffler
cruiser
sport bike
race bike
snow s tire
there see! it moved my cursor back to the start of tire the stupid spam injector is even defective
... we can no longer speak of these things :|

:LOL:

web of worth lists the site with a value of $19,362
so about a grand/year, not much for the work that has gone into it

I don't mind banners and paid sponsors
but don't like this live link in posts BS

Unfortunately for you, you've got zero voting rights on the issue.

This is the way it's always been on online forums: he who pays the bills sets the rules. Doesn't matter if it's people getting chafed up about "freedom of speech" when they get censured, or others who don't like links or ads inserted in their posts.

Really you've got two options: take your content to another forum that doesn't insert links into your posts or take control over the way content is served up to you by (re-)modifying it at your browser.
Ya, thems the rules, the forum owner gets to make them.

web of worth lists the site with a value of $19,362
so about a grand/year, not much for the work that has gone into it

I don't mind banners and paid sponsors
but don't like this live link in posts BS
I'm with you, I don't mind advertising and other revenue generators as these are clearly known to be part of a site's economics. When you see a link embedded into a posting it's not quite as clear as to whether that was inserted by the poster or by the site. I find this type content altering intrusive.

Ya, thems the rules, the forum owner gets to make them.

One always has the choice to take one's browsing and commentary elsewhere, even in measures.

Do you have a spark plug for my generator to warm the tires on my race bike that is also a sport bike.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Do you have a spark plug for my generator to warm the tires on my race bike that is also a sport bike.

Maybe I should get a cruiser to tow my generators around.

Funnily enough, from one site supporter to another, none of those got hijacked for me...

So random, which words get Viglinked and to which poster/reader...
I don't see links when I type either very random.

Maybe related to Tapatalk as well I can't click the links using Tapatalk but I see the colour change.

Maybe related to Tapatalk as well I can't click the links using Tapatalk but I see the colour change.

Same here using tapatalk. I see the links as blue words underlined in blue, but can't click on them and links don't generate off my posts.
Cruiser
Sportbike
Tires
Generator

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom